How competitive is the orthodontics field compared to general dentistry or other specialties in dentistry?

2

Sajan’s Answer

Elon, speciality like orthodontics, oral surgery, endodontics, etc, require further education after becoming a general dentist. These programs are extremely extremely competitive. For example, for orthodontics, the programs usually look for candidates who are in the top ten percentile of their class- which is a tough. They also look for a well rounded candidate who have possibly done some research and who are very active with extracurricular activities/volunteer work.

So, to answer your question in short: programs like orthodontics usually like to accept the top, most well rounded, and sincere candidates.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your help, this was really helpful. Elon O.

1

Jamie’s Answer

Hello Elon,
I graduated class of 2018. I know for a fact that orthodontics was the number one specialty students chose to pursue from my school. Four students from my class alone went onto orthodontics programs. They are highly competitive as with any other specialty. Most orthodontic programs are three years long.

0