6 answers
Asked Viewed 113 times Translate

Is an associates degree in biology able to transfer into a physical therapy program at a university?

I’ll be starting at my local community college in the fall and want to make sure that I’m on the right path as to where to go after this. I plan on becoming a physical therapist and my dream would be to work with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Hypermobility patients like myself, and other hypermobility syndromes, focussing on joint protection. #physicaltherapy #physical-therapist #medicine #ehlersdanlossyndrome #hypermobility #physical-therapy

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you
100% of 6 Pros

6 answers

Updated Translate

Richard’s Answer

In the US, physical therapy programs require a bachelors degree. Although any major is acceptable, the American Physical Therapy Association
lists the following prerequisites:

Anatomy / A&P 1 with lab
Physiology / A&P 2 with lab
Biology 1 (not botany or zoology)
Biology 2 (not botany or zoology)
General Chemistry 1 with lab
General Chemistry 2 with lab
General Physics 1 with lab
General Physics 2 with lab

Good luck with pursuing your dream!

100% of 1 Pros
Updated Translate

David’s Answer

Since you are starting at a community college which is a good idea and gradually move on and get in PT school, I would follow the curriculum to get into PT school, you can ask your school counselor or adviser to list out all the courses you need from CC or see if the school offer a program were you take some courses at cc and then link to some college were can lead to completing your Bachelor degree or has a PT school program.

Updated Translate

Rebekah’s Answer

Your associate will help you to get your bachelor degree. Majority if not all 4 year institutions that offer PT are Pre-PT programs. This means that all sciences you took whether in your associate degree or within the school you transfer too will help you to apply to graduate school. Check out the requirements for the colleges that you plan to attend once you graduate from your university. This will help to guide you when it comes time to decide which schools you want to transfer to as well as which major you can pick. A biology degree will help you to take most of those sciences and so would an exercise science degree for example.

Updated Translate

Cathy’s Answer

No. You cannot directly get into PT school without first having your 4 year Bachelor's degree first, then you can apply for the PT doctoral program. You can start with a 2 yr degree and transfer to a school to get your 4 yr Bachelors degree (which can actually be in anything you want as long as you meet the PT school's class requirements)

Updated Translate

Jordan’s Answer

Hey Jersey,

I'm currently a third year occupational therapy student but I believe the OT and PT have the same process of getting accepted into school. You would most likely need to first get a bachelor's degree in essentially anything while also completing the prerequisites required by the desired graduate school. So yes, an associates degree is a great place to start, followed by the bachelor's degree and prerequisites. Every school is different so do your research!

Best of luck!

Updated Translate

Rachel’s Answer

You'll have to check with the university, but most credits from a community college should transfer to a 4 year university without issue.