Where to look for jobs involving health and wellness or sport and children?
I am a graduating college senior from Gordon College. I study business administration and recreation, sport, and wellness. I am a 4 year varsity basketball player at school as well. I am looking for a position involving children, health and wellness or sport, and I also have been interested in faith based ministries as well. #basketball #college #sports #basketball #children #physicaleducation
Very admirable! Although it appears you have a lot of interests, it seems to me you are interested in serving God's people. Kudo's to you!
I would first start by looking at the organizations that support children and families - Big Brothers Big Sisters; YMCA; Boys and Girls Club, etc. Research some of the programs they offer and develop a small presentation of how you will apply your education and passion to serve if hired. You already possess the skills you want to implement, so use yourself as a test student. That is, what is it you want your population to know, what skills do you want them to learn and apply, etc. Then take those objectives and present it in a fun way - maybe do something related to sports!
While you wait to hear back, I suggest you contact your church and develop a program for the kids who attend and maybe the community. At the very least, you have created a program that has served many AND you can package it and sell it to organizations, schools, etc.
Now go forth and be great!
Congratulation on your graduation and best of luck in your future.
I think what you are looking to do is very admirable and seems you have your path defined fairly well. You have some really good advice from several of the previous posters. Here are a few additional recommendations for you.
- If you get your teaching certificate this can open up additional options for you such as teaching in the public or Private schools system. You can always try and to substitute teaching at either to get your foot in the door. I absolutely would recommend coaching as well if you pursue this path.
With your interest in a faith based organization the private school route may be more fulfilling for you.
- On the charitable side you could also explore organizations like the Boys and Girls club of America and YMCA. These organizations are large in scope, have national operations and can provide very rewarding long term careers.
1. Get certified as a Health teacher so you can work in a public school as a P.E. teacher and after-school coach.
2. Coach after-school actitivies.
3. Look for opportunities at your city's park district or recreation department.
4. Look for opportunities at your local YMCA or other fitness center that has a program for children.