What are some pros and cons of working as a Facilities Technician or working in Facility Maintenance

I am a student at Job Corps and my vocation is Facility Maintenance and I wanted to know what the pros and cons for this vocation is as a reference for what career pathways I can take. #construction #career

4

Denee’s Answer

In my experience, a Facilities Technician implies the individual has a specific skill, they perform. Versus a Facility Maintenance, who would possess general knowledge of many different skills.

The question, you need to answer– do you enjoy a particular skill set i.e. electrical, plumbing, HVAC or do you find satisfaction taking on a range of different projects to widen your knowledge?

It depends on the work environment; you will be seeking out. You must think about who your employer might be. For example, as a technician, you can work for an employer who may dispatch you out to various building locations. So, every day it is a new job and adventure. In contrast, Facility Maintenance would be at the same location. Though, you would learn all the different aspects of that one facility.

Where does your passion rest?

0

Paul K’s Answer

Pro- rewarding both financially and knowledge. Knowing that you fixed repaired or built something at the end of the day, makes you go home at the end of the day Knowing that YOU, maybe with a Team accomplished that. If you do an apprenticeship school, you go to school in the evenings and while you work.... you get paid to learn much the same skills you would in college or university.. you don't have $100K in debt when you finish in 4 years. Yes you work hard and it costs you some sleep but you poise yourself in life to come out way ahead o your peers. For the first couple of years you will learn code, materials and be the grunt so to speak. I call this earning respect. We all crawl before we walk. Once you learn a trade, you can get on with a data center or office facilities company and have a pretty nice career, indoors, free from being in the cold or hot sun for the most part. You can l;launch yourself after you learn a trade to become a Facilities manager, directing he work of others and making sure the building works to a standard and is clean and healthy a place for others to work. FM pays well, and is a good career path. You can join a Professional organization that will help you get to where you want to go. IFMA or BOMI. Once you establish yourself somewhere, most companies offer tuition assistance whereby you can go back to university or college and obtain a degree if you want and desire to go even higher. Facilities, pay is good, most buildings are clean and free from working outside in the elements.... You learn life skills.... you can possibly even in the future start your own business doing electrical/ mechanical or carpentry--some trade.... Facilities is an excellent career path. Especially if you get into mission critical-- Data Centers, Hospitals, Intelligence or war fighter mission. These paths pay better and your are mostly inside- managing maintenance tickets verses hard labor intensive building buildings. A down side is the whiners.... I'm too cold, I'm too hot, if you don't kiss my rear- i will complain to your boss...... In FM you have to learn many different fields ( procurement, contracts, trades, customer service, technology, mission critical and other-- this makes every day different form the last and thus makes it rewarding and interesting.

0

Justin’s Answer

Hi Domenica,

I currently work in real estate management and previously worked as a structural engineer. I work closely with many individuals who I would describe as facilities technicians and facilities maintenance professionals. As far as the difference between those two terms, I agree with the comments that Denee made in their answer. Perhaps you could think of starting your career as a technician and then gain additional knowledge to understand how a full building runs.

In either case, a large percentage of the knowledge required to run a large commercial building relates to the HVAC and mechanical infrastructure of a building. That's really where I find most effective facilities management personal start their career and having a good knowledge of how those systems work is really critical in maintaining a large commercial building. I would follow a pathway that takes you through that direction.

I think this field has a lot of pros. Working in facilities maintenance, you will learn project management skills, communications skills and you'll play a coordinating role between different elements of the company you work for. It provides a great foundation to either continue in that career or move on to something else later on.

I'd definitely suggest following in this path.

0

To keep this answer short, I will acknowledge the Pro that I see. Gaining the experience to pad a resume will greatly increase your chances of career progression.

0