216
views

How competitive is the feild of psychology.

I want to know I the psychology score of schools really matter.

Question Topics

icon-country-tagsunited-states-of-america

46

2

One answers:

Dear Clarissa,

I can only answer your question about the clinical psychology field. which is what I do. My impression is that anyone who graduates from a Ph.D. program in clinical or counseling psychology program approved by the American Psychological Association ( which most are) has an excellent chance of finding work in the field within a few months of graduating. Of course this can be influenced by factors such as whether you are willing to move or want to live in a big city. A lot of mental health centers in rural areas find it hard to recruit people and your job prospects go up if you are willing to consider these places. The federal Bureau of Prisons recruits almost constantly because many psychologists don't want to work in prisons settings.

The down side is that admission to doctoral psychology programs is apparently highly competitive, in some cases more so than medical school admission, and financial support is getting harder to come by.

I hope this information is helpful. Good luck with your career plans.

Ray Finn, Ph.D.