Dr. Ray Finn

Mental Health Care Professional
Mental Health Care
Fort Worth, Texas







Dr. Ray's badges

Nice Answer

Strunk & White

Civic Duty




Citizen Patrol

Dr. Ray's Questions and Answers

Dear Mirela,You again? You sure ask a lot of questions! (Just kidding.) Fortunately they are interesting ones.I started out as a physics major in college because I liked the class in high school. However in my first college physics course I was completely out of my depth. I wound up with a D...

Active 2 days ago
Posted by Dr. Ray F.

Dear Mirela,Your question really made me stop and think. I had very little idea of what it meant to work as a psychologist on a day to day basis. I originally wanted to teach at a university level but couln't get a job there. However, in retrospect I am glad i didn't go this route....

Active 2 days ago
Posted by Dr. Ray F.

Dear Mirela,I apologize for taking so long to respond to your question. As a clinical psychologist I unfortunately deal with many individuals in emotional pain. This can be difficult at times, but the rewarding aspect is being able to help them alleviate their distress and live happier lives....

Active 2 days ago
Posted by Dr. Ray F.

Dear Thaaki, Things may work differently in South Africa, but in the U.S. speech and hearing therapists have a master's degree in that field. They may get an undergraduate degree in psychology but people with master's degrees in psychology would not be able to be licensed as speech therapists....

Active 2 days ago
Posted by Dr. Ray F.

Dear Nancy, I think you have recognized a need for some skills that most people in helping professions don't think about. I agree with the other respondents that an accounting background would be helpful in understanding the financial side of private practice, which is, after all, a business....

Active Oct 13 '17 at 22:24
Posted by Dr. Ray F.

Dear Danielle, Since I am a psychologist my knowledge of the other licenses is limited but here is what I know: LMFT stands for Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist LCSW stands for Licensed Clinical Social Worker LPC stands for Licensed Professional Counselor There are minor differences...

Active Oct 13 '17 at 22:04
Posted by Dr. Ray F.

Dear Breanna, I have been away from academia for many years, so my answer may be out of date. My understanding is that undergraduate psychology programs don't require any sort of internship, especially in the freshman year. I think some social work programs may require one, but they usually...

Active 2 days ago
Posted by Dr. Ray F.

Dear Imani, I have been away from academia for many years, but in the past many programs did not especially want applicants with previous experience, since they wanted to mold students in their image. Also, jobs in mental health for people with bachelor's degrees are very limited. Finally,...

Active Sep 03 '17 at 22:33
Posted by Dr. Ray F.

Dear Angela, Unfortunately there are very few jobs for people with bachelor's degrees in psychology or counseling. I agree with Daniela that you would need to attend a master's degree program in social work, counseling, marriage and family therapy or a similar field to achieve your goal....

Active Jun 01 '17 at 23:17
Posted by Dr. Ray F.

Dear Yong Kook, Since I live in Texas, which has a large Hispanic population, I would learn Spanish. Ray Finn,...

Active Apr 18 '17 at 14:53
Posted by Dr. Ray F.

Dear Brittany, Congratulations on having achieved so much at a young age. As I look at your schedule I don't see any time for you to relax and do nothing. When I was a first year graduate student I was worried about making good enough grades to stay in so I studied nights, weekends and even...

Active Apr 18 '17 at 14:47
Posted by Dr. Ray F.

Dear Estefania, I have not been around universities very much during my career but I have a few general suggestions for you. I don't know if any universities specifically offer the option of combined degrees but it should be easy to find out. Since you live in the DFW area I suggest you look...

Active Mar 22 '17 at 18:00
Posted by Dr. Ray F.

Dear Uma,I am responding to you primarily as a psychologist who spent thirty plus years dealing with clients' emotional problems, including many with depression and anxiety. It is hard to give you very specific recommendations because I know so little about your anxiety, how severe it is and...

Active 2 days ago
Posted by Dr. Ray F.

Dear Estela, I just want to add a few comments to the previous responses. There are some positions available for people with bachelor's degrees in psychology, social work and related fields. Some examples are probation officers and child protective services workers. However they generally...

Active Feb 27 '17 at 20:17
Posted by Dr. Ray F.

Dear Azar, Since I am a psychologist I can only give you some general information. Psychiatrists are medical doctors who specialize in treating patients with mental health problems. They graduate from medical school and then complete a residency in psychiatry, usually three years in length....

Active Feb 17 '17 at 13:58
Posted by Dr. Ray F.

More from CareerVillage.org

Schools Add a school

No schools added.

Groups Join a group

No groups joined.

Follow Us

Ask a Question

Close form
By posting, you are accepting the terms of service and privacy agreement.