What type of skills does a Graphic Designer need to have or work on?

2

I'm a senior in high school that's taking a Web, Multi-Media & Design class. After learning a few things and seeing how much of graphic design is used all over the world I've become very interested in the field of study.As I continue my knowledge in this type of career I want to know what kind of skills I would need to be successful and efficient in this career I want to do. #graphic-design #web-design #graphic-designer #personal-development

I have been freelancing off and on for the past 8 years since i was going for my GED and went on to college. This year i have been volunteering through "volunteermatch.org" to build my portfolio. Thus far i have done a logo for a trucker fund, and a site for a non profit out in Florida that i can add to my portfolio now.When i first got intrested i thought it was going to be easy and it was just being creative and making sure you put what the client wants. It's a lot harder than that. I do agree with the other 2 answers, your high school has strong classes to get you started. when you advance from high school to college. i would recommend going straight for your B.A. degree.Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the field.i'll do my best to answer and provide resources. Dakota M.
2

Lisa’s Answer

0

Hi Anthony, It sounds as though you're attending a strong high school which is great. It's true that Graphic Design is used all over the world, however, it is also true that with the advent of lots of visual software developed over the past 20 years, many people have learned Photoshop, and other programs, and then marketed themselves as Visual Designers. Learning the software does NOT an artist make. So, you need a college degree, GOOD design/art classes, and some hands on experience - not just using computer program. The specific college course offerings and type of design major matters. So, for example, learning how to design for websites, knowing HTML, Wordpress, etc. is important. Your college program needs to be up on the LATEST trends too. Interactive Media, video production, audio production as well if you can get it. Companies are much more aware of good design + art skills now. So you will need to graduate with a strong portfolio AND you need to gain some work experience through summer internships BEFORE you graduate.

I hope all this helps you!

0

Arun’s Answer

0

Either way, graphic designers should have a good understanding of font families, ... and mix different colors based on context is an invaluable skill. ... so they can go behind the hood of the site or CMS they may be working on.

0