How did you stay positive when writing about touchy topics?

I have yet to publish any of my writings because of fear of rejects. I find it hard to see my own writing as good or with a good topics.

For example, the story I'm currently writing deals with the controversial idea of "Black Self-hatred". I'm also planning on writing about another controversial idea that deals with Christianity.

Having my first stories be so controversial isn't really motivating me to turn my writing hobby into a career because I fear the type of backlash I would get.

#writing #stories #book #controversial #july20

How do you work around the fear of backlash in order to create stories?

5

Joe’s Answer

Freedom is not free. It has to be fought for and it has to be maintained. Imagine all you learned which forms your fund of knowledge and awareness had never been presented to you due to fear. Would you know that self-hatred among black people is something that needs to be addressed or that there are issues in Christianity? Think about it, does this logic stand to reason? For the sake of argument let us say it does and that there is no problem at all with withholding knowledge which would benefit people living in error. It appears to me the question becomes not one of fear or of being rejected but an ethical one; is it ok to avoid helping those in need when it's within one's power to do so?
It can be a problem and or even dangerous to speak the truth, no question just look back into history or on a more personal level look at your own school setting, home, or neighborhood. Did you act for or witness somebody standing up for what was right and then were persecuted? Evil and wrong don't stop; they have to be acknowledged and then acted upon to either stop or develop a change to combat it (what do you think?). Are you familiar with the expression, "history repeats itself".
The two topics you mentioned that you are writing on and want to write on have been discussed before so what's wrong with you giving your input...? Research sayings on fear, rejection, and freedom, you will be amazed. Be honest but with tact and diplomacy not necessarily knocking people over the head with truth. There is so much more I'd like to write but I hope this gives you some guidance along with somethings to think about. You are just fine young lady right where you're at, continue the good work you began. Write on Sista Soldier! Good luck and God bless you

1

Deborah’s Answer

I pretended I was having a conversation with someone and that made it a more intimate endeavor. I never really cared much what people thought and I ALWAYS told the truth. That’s key. Hope this helps. A little provocation is not a bad thing; makes people think.

1

Mansi’s Answer

There are so many things to keep in mind while writing but the most important things while writing about sensitive topics are:
Start by putting yourself in the other person's shoes.
Frame it as a common concern.
Acknowledge emotions.
Be encouraging.
The bottom line: Help people face sensitive issues by letting them know they're not alone.

0

Jane’s Answer

Any controversial idea can be couched in real life experiences. No one can argue against your experience. I think that's what Mansi and Debroah were trying to get at by their advice. Fictional narrative might be the best genre in which to realize this idea.

Try to move ahead in spite of your fear of rejection and backlash. Don't wait to work through your fears. Chances are your writing will help someone facing the same fears, as Mansi and Deborah suggested.

Jane recommends the following next steps:

Decide what genre of writing you want to use.
Start developing your characters.
Develop a plot for your story. This could be most closely related to your own real life experience.

0

Mansi’s Answer

Frame it as a common concern.
Acknowledge emotions.
Be encouraging.

0