What is a typical shift like for a labor and delivery nurse?

2

I am a sophomore in college and just about to start nursing classes, I am excited about nursing as a career and I am leaning towards working in L&D, but I am not sure, because I have not had experience in that area yet and I am unsure what it would be like. #nurse #nursingstudent #july20 #july

2

victoria’s Answer

0
Hi there. yes nurses typically work 8 hr or 12hr shifts, more commonly from my experience the latter. these shift are AM and PM so an 8hr shift can be 7am-3pm, 3pm-11pm, 11pm-7am and a 12hr shift would likely be 7am-7pm or 7pm-7am.

You generally will have to rotate with half of your shift being daylight and the others off shifts/after hours.

This field can be unpredictable because while it is ideal to have an uncomplicated delivery, you never know what you will get.

0

Estelle’s Answer

0
L&D nurses usually work eight hour or 12 hour shifts. They admit patients and evaluate them to see if they are actually in active labor. They monitor mother and baby while in labor and help in the delivery process. They take care of patients before and after cesarean sections. They deliver pain medications.At the end of each shift, they are in charge of transferring care to the next nurse on duty. This Communication is very important to keep continuity of care.
0