4
Asked 7048 views

What requirements are needed to become an accountant?

I am a 16 year old female at The Business of Sports School. My school doesn't offer an accounting program right now, but I would like to know what requirements i need in order to become an accountant. #business #accounting #accountant

4

1

MelissaWilliams’s Answer

<html><head></head><body>

Hi, you should check out the answer to this question: http://careervillage.org/questions/256/what-subjects-do-you-have-to-major-in-to-be-best-at-accounting

The most important things to work on are your math skills (take 4 years of math, including calculus!), and your communication skills.
Even if your school doesn't have an accounting class, you can "real-life" (and super valuable) practice in accounting skills by doing things like making a budget and sticking to it, helping your parents with their tax returns, or running for class treasurer.

</body></html>
1
0

Danielle’s Answer

If you are interested in entering the field of accounting I would start by looking at the CPA requirements in your state. This will help you understand what the basic core requirements are to obtain a CPA, which is generally in line with what an undergrad accounting degree would give you. This foundation will give you the tools you need to pursue a career in accounting.

My undergrad degree was not in accounting, but I made the transition by seeking to take the core accounting classes through a combination of independent study and evening college classes, which then led me to getting a masters in accounting. There are schools, such as LSU and BYU, that offer independent study accounting courses. If your school does not have the coursework in accounting, then you could look to supplement through one of these options.

Best wishes on your journey!
0
0

Lauren’s Answer

For entry-level positions, we usually expect candidates to have a four year degree with a major in accounting from an undergraduate business school. We like to see that candidates have internships or part-time experience in accounting departments which they've accumulated during their schooling.

0
0

Emilio’s Answer

I would definitely look into accounting internships in your area. This will get you exposure to life as an accountant in addition to having something to add to your resume.

Emilio recommends the following next steps:

Look up accounting internships or part time work related to accounting
0
0

PRASANJIT’s Answer

Minimum education of bachelor's degree in accounting is required to start career as accountant. Starting a career in accounting, first step exist is to pursue an undergraduate degree in accounting. One can pursue diploma courses, bachelor's level, master's level and doctorate level education in accounting.
0