What skills are the most desirable in a book editor?

5

I'm about to be a senior in college. I love college, and I try my hardest in classes, job, and extracurricular activities to develop as a person. I hope that the things I am learning help with being a book editor. What qualities do think are vital to being a good book editor?

#july20 #book-editor #book-editing #writing #creative-writing #publishing

5

Paula’s Answer

0
Hi Jade!

I see you've already received some great responses to your question from Amy and Tina. And I strongly agree with Tina about speaking with a professional editor. Have you tried speaking with a counselor in the Career Development office at your college? That person might be able to connect you to an alum who is, or has been, an editor. Similarly, your academic instructors who have published might be willing to give you the names of their editors so you could connect them for a brief conversation about the industry.

Have you looked on the US Bureau of Labor Statistics website? The information in the Occupational Outlook Handbook for Editors there is very interesting and may help answer some of your questions.

I wish you the best of luck in your final year of college!

Paula
0

Amy’s Answer

0
Hi Jade!,
Congratulations on your progress so far in college!

I'm not a professional book editor, but I have worked as an editor before, and I know of a few key skills that will help you along the way:
1) Have a keen attention to detail - editors always catch things others don't
2) Know what kind of editor you want to be (e.g. proofreader, line editor, copy editor, developmental editor; more info here: https://blog.bookbaby.com/2016/04/type-book-editing-need/)
3) If you're focused on copy editing, know the different style guides and which is used where (more info on the most popular): https://inkbotediting.com/2016/01/19/which-style-guide-should-i-use/)

Amy
0

Tina’s Answer

0
There are several things you need to know to be a good editor. Those mentioned by Amy are good. But know that college won’t teach you what the current trends are. They will teach what has been around for a while and are proven.

Most current things you learn by reading articles online and talking with other editors. You’ll learn more from a pro editor in an hour than years in school. But school does teach the basics you must master.

I suggest you read articles online about editing.
0