Stuck between pursuing Content Creation and Entrepreneurship

2

At the heart of it, I want to pursue a career that can make a positive difference in other people's lives. One of my core values is flexibility, so I've been strongly advised against entrepreneurship but I've latched onto this identity so long it's hard to shed it off. Should I focus singularly on content creation like blogging, or should I continue to apply to entrepreneurial programs (as backup, if you will)?

Thanks for taking the time to read and/or answer! :)

#july20 #career #blogging #entrepreneurship

2

Kathy’s Answer

0
The good news is that this is not a question of EITHER, OR. You can do both! Depending on the content you create, the topics of your blogs, or the range of your interests, you may already be an entrepreneur. Being an entrepreneur is more of a mindset than a field of study. Entrepreneurs are relentlessly persistent and don't take "no" for answer. They are laser focused on building a business based on the product they are bringing to market and the need they are filling. They are risk-takers and they are ambitious. Entrepreneurs have built and grown businesses in everything from selling books on line (think Amazon) to socially conscious products (think Toms), to harnessing solar energy for commercial use. It comes in all shapes and sizes.

If you love content, keep at it. Think about how you can leverage what you love and turn it into a business of your own.
Good Luck?

Kathy recommends the following next steps:

• Keep up the great work you already do in content development
  • Look at what other people are doing in the area, especially new tools they use, search engines, who is getting hired to do content work
  • Think about what YOU need to be successful. What unmet needs are out there in the area of content that you can fill?
  • Find that niche and go for it!
  • Be passionate, relentless and excellent in your pursuit
0

Alan’s Answer

0
I strongly suggest following your heart and pursuing your passion. The entrepreneurship path can also be flexible! I have worked at Disney for over 31 years and been involved in a significant amount of content creation via multimedia and video production. I also have an significant interest in the entrepreneur spirit so i have also had the opportunity to use vacation time and be involved in live event and tv projects outside the Disney organization (as long as it does not conflict with my primary Disney job).

Alan recommends the following next steps:

• Continue to create and provide blog content.
  • When the opportunity presents itself pursue new opportunities while also continuing to create blog content.
0