How will my involvement in the program effect my learning throughout college?

2

I am a dual enrollment student who is on the verge of graduation. My involvement in the program started in the summer of 9th grade. I have been in the program for over two years, and my question is how will my involvement in the program effect my learning throughout college? Will I receive an advantage over my peers? Will the classes count towards my college graduation requirement agenda?

#july20
#july20
#july20
#education
#july2020

2

Carolyn’s Answer

3
Hi Dhruv,

Your previous college experience as a dual enrollment student will help you in preparing for your first year. You have already experienced the rigor of college work, as well as different teaching approaches and access to course materials. Many of your college peers may also have previous college credit through a dual enrollment program, particularly if you stay in Georgia for college.

The courses you complete may be able to count toward your college degree. Each college or university has transfer credit policies that list what courses are accepted and how they will impact the courses you need to take for your major in college. If you are taking dual enrollment courses at the college where you plan to attend, you can reach out to an academic advisor or transfer admissions staff member to talk about how your credits will transfer.

If you are already accepted to a school, look at their transfer credit policies. You can google "School name Transfer Credit" and that will give you a start. You can also go to the individual school website to look for transfer credit information. It will usually be under the accepted student or prospective student information.
3

Thrishna’s Answer

0
Hi Dhruv,

Dual enrollment is a great opportunity to receive both high school and college credit at the same time. From my personal experience, my dual enrollment courses allowed me to come into college with a variety of credits completed, so I was able to start my specific major classes earlier.

I would recommend as you start looking into colleges to take some time to research if university programs that you are interested in actually accept credits from the institution you are receiving dual enrollment from currently. Some colleges are selective about some courses depending on your major path, but typically your dual enrollment classes should fulfill the introduction courses. Most schools have transfer credit documentation online, but you can always contact the college, your counselors, or reach out to recent high school graduates from your school that went into college with dual enrollment classes.

Lastly, dual enrollment courses allow you to experience a more accelerated class load similar to the AP experience to get a feel of what college courses are like. It helps prepare you for college classes as you are able to form good study habits before entering college.

Overall, dual enrollment is a great program to take advantage in high school and has many benefits. Good luck with rest of high school and starting your college journey soon!

0