Can I use my BS in Biology when I graduate to work as a forensic tech? If so, what hard and soft skills are required?

1

I want to work while attending graduate school for Crime Scene Investigation. I am currently taking organic chemistry where I will be learning about the GC mass spectrometer. I also have other laboratory skills I have learned in college. #career #biology #career-counseling #forensic #laboratory #lab-technician

1

Spruce’s Answer

0
My background is in mechanical engineering but as your question is general I will provide a general answer. I’m sure the answer is generally yes, assuming your forensics interests are on people or on other fauna and perhaps flora as well. I’m sure also that your major subjects are right on and your experience with real laboratory equipment will be a big plus.

As far as working in a CSI lab during school, I would recommend preparing a letter and resume aimed at a summer intern or maybe part-time low-level job that might lead to something better. I assume most labs like this are part of a state or federal government, so expect a bureaucratic response. There are also many private labs that do blood work and other analyses for doctors and hospitals which are probably not forensic but at least you gain experience in a lab.

I have absolutely no idea what other studies would benefit you if you were to pursue a career in this field. Presumably you would be part of some law enforcement agency such as city or county police all the way up to the FBI. Each will undoubtedly have required skills and training of their own. The only thing I can suggest is looking for related jobs online, and expanding your networking circles. Good luck.
0