To become a doctor and go to med school, do you have to major in the sciences(biology, chemistry, and physics?)

2

Anna’s Answer

Hi! No, you do not have to major in the sciences, but it is important that you take your required pre-requisite courses for medical school along the way. Your advisor/university can help you figure out when is the best time to take those courses. I ended up majoring in Microbiology and minoring in Psychology, and many pre-meds choose to major in the sciences because the content is very interesting and applicable to medical school/studying for the MCAT. I enjoyed majoring in microbiology because I was interested in that and it helped me fulfill my pre-reqs, and I enjoyed minoring in psychology because it was much different from the typical biology classes I was taking and was also very interesting! If there is something specific you are interested in majoring in, you should do that, but if you are interested in the sciences, that is great as well!!

Thank you Anna B! Zemira M.

0

Yasemin’s Answer

Hi Zemira! No you don't! These are traditional majors for premedical students but honestly medical school likes diversity and many applicants can major in other fields as well. I was a psychology major, and there students who even major in history or English. The important thing is to take prerequisite courses, such as biology, chemistry, physics, etc. These are required before medical school; no matter what your major is you can still seek help from a premed adviser at your university/college. They have information on the courses to take and what makes a strong applicant; remember to volunteer and get patient time, also shadow a doctor. The major is important in some ways but what you do as an applicant matters more, so do what you love!

Thank you so much! Zemira M.

You're welcome! Yasemin G.

0