Is it true that the nursing career is heading towards more of a Bachelors degree?

I am currently enrolled in high school and community college. I am taking community college course in order to get a jumpstart in my career as a Registered Nurse; however, I have heard than nurse should have a bachelors degree to at least be considered for a job. On the other hand, I am willing to render some money to a four year degree after community college. In other words, is this career, as Registered Nurse, "requiring" getting a Bachelors degree? #nursing #registered-nurses #pediatric-nursing #nursing-schools

2

Desiree’s Answer

Great career choice! I’m finding that the requirement of a BSN depends on which state, city and/or facility you want to work at. I am currently working towards my BSN, not because I’m required to have it, but because It’s a goal I set for myself back when I was in high school many moons ago (in the early 90s).

In speaking with co-workers who have their BSN, the only real benefit is a slight raise in pay. Slight meaning only a few more dollars an hour nothing huge. I’m perfectly ok with that. For me nursing has never been about the money, it’s a passion I’ve had since I was a child. It’s about helping people feel better. It’s about saving a life or sometimes being the shoulder for family members to cry on. I chose nursing because I wanted to make a difference in someone’s life, but often times it’s my patients making a difference in mine.

Sorry, I kind of got off topic there. Anyway, I agree with Kimberly about researching some of your local facilities to find out what they are looking for and if they require you to have or be working on obtaining your BSN. You can also try job search websites and your states board of nursing website to see if they have published any articles about what you’re asking.

I wish you the best of luck and congratulate you in choosing an amazing career path!

Desiree recommends the following next steps:

Use job search websites to see what local facilities are looking to hire.
Visit local hospitals and speak with the head of their nursing department. They are great resources that can help you in choosing your educational path.
www.indeed.com
www.ziprecruiter.com

My ex-wife went back to school to get her BSN, She has a BA in another field, and wanted to transition. I agree w/Kimberly that the pay isn't much more, but a Bachelors isn't simply about pay. As you progress in your career it demonstrates you committed to learning more about the world around you outside of nursing. What I mean is: I am in IT. In IT its about the tech and soft skills, and you don't necessarily need a BA/BS for this. However, my career goals changed and I have moved into more senior roles. My BS has helped facilitate that. Think long term v. simply getting the job now. There are numerous options out there to help pay from grants to loans and even hospitals will assist depending on their need. Brandon DeLallo, CSM, PMI-ACP

0

Kimberly’s Answer

You have made a great choice by choosing nursing! The truth of the matter is that YES - most places are requiring that all nurses work towards their bachelors degree. Like you, I started off at community college to save some money. After my initial two years, I transferred to a university to finish my BSN. There are many loans and grants that exist to help you pay for college, which can help with the financial burden of a university. To get back to your question, some hospitals will still hire nurses who graduated from a community nursing program, but depending on where you live you might have to sign a contract that you will complete your bachelors degree in a certain amount of time. You can go to the websites of some local hospitals where you live and look into their nursing programs. It should say what degree-level nursing that they hire. Best of luck to you!

0