4

I was told that in the business management field it's hard to make a career out of it unless you obtain your masters degree. My question to you all is 1. Is that true? and 2. Is business management a field that is hard to make into a career?

I've come to this site to get my questions answered by professionals to clarify all the things told to me by family members and other resources about getting a degree in this field. Although their advice is nice I just wanted to clarify this with professionals to see if I'd have to consider a different major. #college #business #career #management #major #degree

4

1

Christa’s Answer

Hi - in my experience having a business major is a very strong educational foundation for you and a variety of career paths you may choose to pursue. As others have shared in response to your question, the major you choose is one factor - but not THE factor that determines your success. It's what you do with that educational rooting and how you show up / what you deliver in any role that are truly what contributes to your success and journey in your career.

I happened to study Business Adminsitration as my undergrad and then also pursued my MBA. The MBA was not a requirement for me in my chosen career path - Public Relations / Corporate Communications - however, it was something that I was personally passionate about pursuing. I've had roles that having those educational credentials served me well - as I was working with strategic business or financial leaders in supporting their communications strategies - but they were not necessarily required (just sometimes were useful conversational points with some of my leaders who had similar educational backgrounds.

I wish you success in your career journey!
1
0

Taylor’s Answer

Hi Jordan, thanks for submitting a question. I graduated from Ohio University with a double major in Business Management and Management Information Systems (MIS). Although, my current role at PwC involves mostly my knowledge from my MIS major, I hope to actively use my management major as I move up within the firm. In my opinion, I don't think you have to have a Masters Degree in Business Management to get a good job. However, I always struggled understanding the people who only majored in Business Management. I say this because I always asked the question, "Well, what do you want to manage?" Sometimes I received an "I don't know," but someones I received a sporting goods store or a retail store. I would then ask why they weren't double majoring or getting a minor? For the guy who wanted to manage a sporting goods store, why didn't he double major or minor in sports management? For the girl who wanted to manage a retail store, why didn't she double major or minor in fashion merchandise? Finally, for the person who wasn't sure, he needed to take a step back and think about his interests. What did he like and what was he passionate about? Then he needed to take some introduction classes at college to help himself figure that out.

I received a double major in management and MIS so that I could hopefully one day manage within my firm. Management teaches and provides skills to help lead others, but what is the topic you are leading them on?

In the end, I think you've already made the right decision of going to college and getting a degree. You now have to decide what is best for yourself--no one can make that decision for you, not even your family.

I hope this helps and best of luck to you!

0
0

Mary’s Answer

The usual response is normally going to be a clear-cut “no.” A master’s degree in business is an outstanding credential that will make someone’s career more lucrative. Nonetheless, those who decide to end their academic pursuits with a bachelor’s degree will have a nearly equal chance of enjoying a prosperous career. It truly will be about the experience you have and how you can speak to that experience. You may have all the education but if you have no hands on training from the field then it wouldnt matter what degree you would have. Education is very important but also dont forget to be able to use your experiences from your jobs and internships to showcase why a company would want you.
0
0

ShaRon’s Answer

I have a BS and an MBA in Business Management. I have had a long success career in corporate america working for companies like American Express, General Electric, First Data Corporation, and done some consulting work for Hewlett Packer, Ally Bank, Belk Department Store and Bank of America so no it is not hard to have a career with the Business Management degree. You have the power to chart your own destiny to the top of any industry. Your degree shows employeers that you can learn. The degree doesn't determine your destiny, you do. GO to work be positive. Have a can do attittude and be determined to be a better person by learning from and helping others in every role you have.

I got the degrees because I had strong leadership skills and loved organizing people. I have had many roles, and all of them involved the basic principles of Business Management. I make a good salary and have had a great life as a result of this career choice. So if this is what you want to do, I say go for it! Good Luck

0