Any info for entrepreneurship and ecommerce?

I'm a senior in high school right now, and I am very interested in ecommerce and entrepreneurship. Is there any valuable info about ecommerce or things i should know and keep in mind for entrepreneurship, like how i can find quality suppliers and unique designs and products? #entrepreneurship #business

11

Adam’s Answer

you should follow blog posts and info from ecommerce platforms like shopify, etsy, etc. Start by creating some shopify store and etsy stores and working through your buy process with your friends.

I think you can find local wholesale suppliers through these platforms vendor network.

4

Judi’s Answer

If not done so already, check out the Small Business Administration’s website - not only for guidance on how to get a loan but also on some of the responsibilities about running a small business. Being an entrepreneur is a lot of fun and is challenging but you need to be ready to set up your business to succeed.

https://www.sba.gov/

Your local state will also have help, for example your state may have a website about how to setup e-commerce within your local area.

Above helps you “run the business”. These institutions may also have some free workshops and incubator programs for fostering new ideas.

2

Steve’s Answer

Great question. I spent my career in SaaS startups / ecommerce and my observation is that you are either wired for this type of work or you simply are not. You will quickly find it's not for you. Early in your career is the perfect time to find out. My goal early on was to get exposure to as many disciplines across the business as possible. Entrepreneurs need to understand technology, finance, sales, marketing, security, compliance and everything in-between. It's hard to master such a vast set of disciplines quickly without on the job experience. I would find a startup in your area and figure out a way to contribute (even if you start out for free). Once you are leaning in and making a contribution you will likely end up with a paid role. From there I would try to work close to one of the executives or senior leaders who enjoy mentoring. My caution is to know that entrepreneurship takes a ton of grit, work and creativeness. It's not for the faint of heart and will likely require big sacrifice in other areas of your life if you want to be great at it. That said, for the right type of person there is nothing more rewarding than building up a new good or service with an amazing team to help your customers solve a problem. It's an amazing ride. So my advice is to find out really early if it's for you before putting all of your eggs in that basket. If it is for you be fearless and get after it!

2

I started doing e-commerce in the late 90's. At that point, the big idea was to share your catalog of goods with the world. Now things have changed. You have to establish trust in your offering in order for anyone to follow through with giving you money. So as the others pointed out above, you need to leverage an existing platform that helps provide the trust in payment and delivery.
Remember that even if they payment is delayed via solutions like venmo, you as the provider are most at risk.

in terms of what to sell or offer your customers, we know that every industry or business is ready to be uprooted. So if you have a unique idea, it's a great time to go for it. If you have an instinct for a product that can make a splash there is little risk to trying to sell it online.

it's amazing how many services, products and opportunities are out there.

1

Adrianne’s Answer

Follow some different ecommerce platforms (Shopify, BigCommerce, etc). They have some really great blog posts and resources for entrepreneurs and people who want to run their own stores.

1

Steve’s Answer

0

Brandon’s Answer

You could start by running a small business and/or helping someone you know who owns a small business.
Many traditional businesses still need help with e-commerce, websites, social media, email campaigns etc..
This would be a great way to learn about business in greater detail, while filling out a resume.

Maybe its a small restaurant, boutique store, lawn company, etc. So many businesses are having to transition to e-commerce right now.
This is a great time to engage with small local businesses and understand their transition to include more online/virtual transactions and how you could possibly ease those hurdles as a future professional

This is great advice. Learn from people who are doing what you aspire to. Brad Kramer

0

Sharool’s Answer

More narrow definitions have described entrepreneurship as the process of designing, launching and running a new business, which is often initially a small business, or as the "capacity and willingness to develop, organize and manage a business venture along with any of its risks to make a profit

0

Danielle’s Answer

My two cents would be to start with a business plan. Writing a business plan will help ensure you have a compelling business idea in mind that has the potential to be successful. And don't skip over the 'competitors' section of the business plan. Very important to know your market and with whom you are competing.

0

Sendil’s Answer

A somewhat broader definition of the term is sometimes used, especially in the field of economics. In this usage, an entrepreneur is an entity which has the ability to find and act upon opportunities to translate inventions or technologies into products and services: "The entrepreneur is able to recognize the commercial potential of the invention and organize the capital, talent, and other resources that turn an invention into a commercially viable innovation.

0