What is the difference between the job of a Data Engineer and a Data analytics ?

I am currently applying to internships, and there are two roles available. These roles seem similar, so I am wondering if there is anyone from the industry that can further explain. Thank you. #givingiscaring #dataengineering #engineering #data

9

Angela’s Answer

Hi Yazmin P. - great question! I work very closely with both two teams and hope my answer can help a little bit here! =)

1. Data Analytics: transform data into consumable insights
- Data Analysis: i.e., use data to help answer business questions such as why we lost 10% more customers in June vs. May?
- Metrics Reporting: i.e., how many new customers did we acquire last month? How did that compare to last year same period?
- Data visualization / dashboard: i.e., build dashboard to show trend over certain time periods; compare performance of multiple products etc.

2. Data Engineer: build and maintain scalable data infrastructure; take raw data into structured format/model
- Data Integration: companies normally uses multiple systems/softwares and we need to connect all the data together. From Salesforce, to Stripe to Intercom etc. The Data Engineer need to ensure we collect all the data we needed
- Data warehouse / Data pipeline management : ensure data warehouse is reliable and performant
- Data models/schema development: build out data infrastructure that is scalable and easy to use by the Analytics team or other parts of the organization

5

Mitchell’s Answer

The names can vary --- there's still conflict over what's statistics and what's data science! - but the thing to remember is that there are tasks in the pipeline.

Think of it as buying a cake. Someone has to harvest the wheat, grind it to flour, ship the flour, and finally mix and bake the cake.

Data engineering could be seen as getting the ingredients together and checking for quality -- is everything in the data that's supposed to be, did anything get in that wasn't supposed to? Then the analytics is taking the otherwise inedible raw ingredients (who snacks on flour?) and turning them into something intellectually digestible.

What to consider at this point in your career is what tools and problems get you interested. Do you like the technical details of a database? The creative aspects of data visualization?

Also none of these roles are in a vacuum. The engineer and the analytics person will be working together on many projects.

1

Nicole’s Answer

Hi Yazmin P. Thanks so much for your question.

I think one of the differences (and one of the cooler things) about a data engineer vs data analytics is that data analytics allows you to learn and use some pretty interesting visualization tools. In learning these tools (like Tableau, R, Python) you begin to make a shift from the area of engineering, as a set of specific steps, to analytics where you can see and show what is happening over time. That "what is happening" can yield important aha moments whether it is to determine how often something is happening, to whom something is happening and whether or not what is happening is a good thing.

The concept of a data engineer is a little new to me but if it is what I suspect, it will likely be a great foundation for understanding how to build a sustainable process that ensures good data to be used to support great analytics.

Hope you find this answer helpful. Best of luck to you!

1

Joseph’s Answer

Data analysts perform analysis. Data engineers create the methods to collect and analysis methods.

0

Gururaj’s Answer

It is good question. If you are really passion about programming and transformational roles that can bring more value to organization and your career, you could choose to be Data analysts. Today's information technology is looking for more machine learning, deep learning skill sets which are more prominent skills required for Data analysts. The data analysts or data scientists are really back bone of some of the key transformation happening in the social media and retail industry business. Data analysts are in demand because of the unique skills that they bring to organization where they analyse the trend and build the predictable models to transform the business. So, if you are willing to learn those technology (AI/ML), then I would suggest you to be Data analysts.

0

Paul Anthony’s Answer

These are two roles that generally work together. Most good engineers are serviceable analysts, and visa versa so knowing how to work with the other role is incredibly helpful. I would suggest that if you like things to be neat and organized, if you like having an more immediate, black and white feedback, then engineering is probably better for you. If you can be comfortable with nebulous instructions, can sell your ideas, and don't need immediate right/wrong feedback, than you make for a good analyst.

0

GIRIDHAR RAO’s Answer

Yazmin,

Data Engineering will coverts/transforms unstructured & raw data into a structured and more consumable format for data analytics.
Data Analytics provides insights into the data that help businesses in making better, more accurate and informed decisions

0

Yiyi’s Answer

Hi Yazmin,

Great question.

I was considering the questions just two years ago when I graduated from graduate school with a master degree in Business Analytics. I studied Data Analytics and some Data Engineer there. I got a few job offers - Data Analyst/Data Scientist and Data Engineer. In the end, I chose my current role Data Analyst (Business Optimization Analyst). Why?

I realized I enjoyed:
- working on the Business side
- want to be the bridge that connects data and business
- in a client-facing environment
- love to see my work has a direct impact
- can shape the business strategy by showing data-driven insights
- love to present to people
- love to solve a business question using data as a tool

If you are like me, maybe data analytics would be a good option to try it out. If you are also interested in any other side, you can always reach out to people here/on LinkedIn/at your job to understand more about other's job and responsibility.

Hope this helps!

Yiyi

0

Yiyi’s Answer

Hi Yazmin,

Great question.

I realized I enjoyed:
- working on the Business side
- in a client-facing environment
- love to present to people

Hope this helps!

Yiyi

0