Do I need to major in education to teach English overseas?

Asked Chicago, Illinois

I'm interested in travelling in my twenties, and I hear that teaching English is a good way to make money while living in another country. Is this still a possibility for me if my major has nothing to do with education? #teaching #college-major #education #english #travel

Wael’s Answer

Updated Redford Charter Township, Michigan

What you are looking for is very dependent on the country you are interested in. Check out the requirements for teaching in the country you are interested in.

Below there is a link for a teaching position in Taiwan and they require a teaching degree.

https://www.teachaway.com/teaching-jobs-abroad/teach-english-taiwan-with-hess

thank you very much
thank you very much
thank you very much
thanks for your reply
thank you very much
You are welcome guys.

Updated Seymour, Connecticut

Many colleges provide incredible teaching programs. A few of the best in the nation are Johns Hopkins University, NYU, and UConn

Teaching involves a number of different skills and qualities. I would say the most important are:

1. People skills - being friendly and working well with others. You will need to be personable, caring, kind, friendly, compassionate, and understanding. These qualities make a great teacher. But you also need to be stern and firm in your directions, rules, and discipline
  2. Public speaking - every day in your class you will need to be able to speak and present information to your students, practice speech, and practice fluency of language and talking in front of others
  3. The subject you plan to teach - become a master of the subject you plan to teach, make sure you know as much as possible and learn as much as you can about the subject you plan to teach. Take as many classes as possible in this subject and learn everything you can about it.
  4. Psychology & Human Development - start reading books and research articles on human development and psych. It will be helpful for you to know how people learn at different stages and the best ways to teach them at these stages (depending on stage of development and schema).

Josh’s Answer

Updated New York, New York
Short answer: YES, you can teach abroad even if you don't study Education. I have friends who have done or are doing paid year-long programs to teach abroad (Teach for Thailand is one that comes to mind) and they did not study Education in college. If you search for English teaching fellowships you can probably find some other organizations around the world. You should also consider getting a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) Certificate, which can help give you the qualifications to teach abroad without needing an Education degree. You can do both full-time (4 weeks) or part-time online (11 weeks) programs to get certified. Here's a link to where you can download a chart explaining where TEFL certificates are useful: goo.gl/ArWCGN
I agree with everything said above. I recommend getting some experience tutoring exchange students while you are in college so that you have that to put on your resume as well.