How do you stay organized as a high school student?

4

I am a high school student going into my junior year of high school. Looking back, I seem to always be unorganized with tasks that have to be done. Instead of setting my priorities before doing other work, I tend to pile on the less important jobs, leaving me to struggle to complete the rest of my work. I want to learn how to set certain times for homework, sports, extracurricular activities, projects, my social life, and my hobbies. As a high school student, I know it is very difficult. It was a constant battle to keep my grades up my first quarter of sophomore year. I was balancing Cross Country (a very exhausting sport) with my studying. It did not go very well. I would like the opinion of others who learned how to stay out of the high school grind with the help of being organized! #sports #student #high-school #work-life-balance #junior #cross-country #struggle

in high school, I was a very organized person. What I would do is I would have have a planner with me at all times; in my planner I would write down all the major events that are going to happen in the year (birthdays, no school, tests/exams, or holidays). Another thing I would do is purchase a whiteboard or pin board and have it in your room; I organize this board by weekly, that why I can forecast what my week looks like. Making sure you have 7 to 8 hours of sleep if important, because this will give you the ability to become a more successful person! It is definitely best to learn how to time manage now and be organize before college, because in college stuff happens all of a sudden all the time. Good luck in your school years! Joey C. Translate
Hi Joey! I completely agree with you!. My school actually sells planners for students to use, which is good because it really helped me become more organized with upcoming homework, tests, and quizzes. Thanks so much for your input! Karen P. Translate
4

NIRMALA’s Answer

2

Keep a calendar and write your each days activities including study time. Don't assign too many tasks because it will be overwhelming and tiring. Also you have to stick to the tasks for those time slots which you put it in your calendar. You can schedule fun time, sports and also study time each day. scheduling your time and practicing to completing the assignment makes the day less tiring.

Hi Nirmala! I will be sure to start keeping a calendar for my own sake. Thank you! Karen P. Translate
2

Danielle’s Answer

1

Hi Karen!

I think one of the things that helped me throughout high school was starting to keep a calendar. Have a monthly calendar in your room or in your phone that highlights your day to day tasks (Sports, Birthday Parties, Doctors Appointments, etc). in one color, maybe school assignments (Tests, Quizzes, Meetings) in another so that you have a general lay of the land at least a month at a time.

Then, It would be helpful to have consistent and specific times each day that you do repetitive tasks. For instance everyday after school in highschool from 4-7:00 I sat down and did homework, college research, SAT prep. I had that time blocked off everyday for myself to get that work done. If you finish before? Great. If you have to go later? That's fine too. It's jsut nice to know that you have that time every single day to work an get things done.

Try keeping a planner or a to do list. In my experience, the most satisfying feeling in the world is checking off a task on your to do list want watching it get smaller and smaller! :)

Hello Danielle! I think keeping a calendar will be a great way for me to stay organized in the upcoming school year! Thank you so much! Karen P. Translate
1

Ollie’s Answer

1

Others mentioned calendars. They are right.

When I was in school, I used a calendar program with a DATED to-do list built into it. There are plenty of these for smartphones.

At the beginning of each school term, as soon as the teachers handed out their assignment schedules, I put them into the todo, with dates.
So, in late August I'd put in "English paper due 1-Dec" "Math Quiz 8-Nov" "Physics Final 22-Dec" or whatever.

Then, for the rest of the term I could take a quick look at "what's next" anytime i needed to. It was a helpful crutch, because I'm easily distracted.

Hello Ollie! I am easily distracted as well and I think that keeping an agenda is a great way to stay organized. Thank you! Karen P. Translate
1