What field of design should I go into?

#design #engineering #mechanical
Hi! I'm a 3rd year (pre-final year) student of Bachelors of Technology in Mechanical Engineering and I always wanted to go for Technical Design fields like Industrial Design or Machine Design. I have been in the art and creative field as a hobbyist for quite a long time now and am slowly becoming disinterested in the technical field that I am in. I want to pursue Masters of Design, but I'm not sure which type of design I should go for. I make digital illustrations, I am into web design a bit and I also like graphics design stuff. What do I do? Which design field do I take up?

4

Devon’s Answer

Hey Kalyani,

So this is a very comprehensive question and dependent on a lot of things. Seeing as you are already so far along in your current field of study, it might be best for you to complete it. The reason being, Mechanical Engineering has most likely introduced you to a bit of both coding and design. Yes, maybe you haven't done anything you particularly like, but you are still developing skills that will aid you in the long run. For example, I am sure you have done a bit of C, Matlab, etc. The languages you have likely learned are a great starting point for anyone wanting to further develop these skills.

I understand from your post that graphics design and art are hobbies you hold close to your heart. While it can be seemingly impossible to find employment in the field for those talents, you can use those skills in conjunction with the other skills you have learned through schooling. As a software developer myself, I would like to note that not everyone has those two skills sets. That is one of the reasons front-end developers are always in high demand.

So, you have the skills, what now? Well, because you are already almost done with you bachelors, (as stated before) you should complete it. That is, if you aren't having much trouble in your courses, because that's a whole other answer. I just don't see any reason to spend so much more time and money on another degree plan altogether. As long as you have the skill set and a semi-related degree, you will still be a good candidate for the job you are looking for. I can say this from experience, as I graduated with an Management Information Systems degree and still ended up in a software development role. However, if you are lacking any resume experience, I highly recommend that you either get an internship in a software dev position, or set up a portfolio to showcase your work. This will make you a more competitive candidate since you will lack some of the relevant course work that the CS majors take.

I hope this helped, and wish you the best of luck :)

Hello! Thank you for the response. After posting this question, I continued my research and narrowed down my options to a) UI/UX Design and b) Product (esp. automotive) Design. When I read your response, it only strengthened the options I picked and I've decided I will look for ways to learn things by completing various guided projects and then decide on one. And about completing my current major, I sure am doing that (and actually performing pretty good in it grades-wise) so that won't be an issue for me! Once again, thank you so much for the answer, it has been really helpful for me to clear my mind. Cheers! :) Kalyani C.

2

Taeyoun’s Answer

You don't have to choose one thing or the other. I suggest you stay in the field you chose and get over the hard and boring phase (which I think you are going through. It is a phase where you can't see much improvements). Also, it is never to late to change when it comes to relative fields (if you decide to change later). I also suggest trying to think creatively to bring some of the aspect you love from the creative art field to the industrial design field and build your own unique portfolio and projects. You can always keep doing creative are as a hobby and change if you want later. Have fun and hope this helps.

Hello! Thank you so much for the response! Reading your answer, I remembered one of my seniors told me how Mechanical is a super versatile degree and I can pursue pretty much anything using the knowledge I have gained in the 4 years. I was considering either UI/UX design or Automotive Design. My parents think I should go for the latter as it is more related to the field I'm currently in but also gives me creative freedom, just as you suggested too. I'm really glad I asked here as the responses I've received have truly cleared my mind a lot. Thank you once again! :) Kalyani C.

2

Don’s Answer

You are actually in a great place you will have practical engineering background and then your talents in design. You will be in great demand if you finish out your courses and then advertise yourself using both your technical knowledge, paired with your design skills. Most companies are doing video calls and are looking for someone that both understands what they are presenting and can create the presentations that will be impressive to all. Your in a great place, finish up and go enjoy life, it is there for the taking!!!

Hello! Thank you for the encouraging and motivating answer :D Kalyani C.

0