What is the proper way to dress for an interview?

9

I have had quite a few interviews in the past where I always wore a nice polo collard shirt, dress pants, and dress shoes. It was never anything different. However, now that I am graduating and taking on a "real professional" interview I guess we should say, do I need to change up my attire? Do I now wear a suit and tie for every interview I get the privilege to attend? To my expectations the answer is yes, but I would just like to know from your point of view. #career #interviews #dress-for-success

9

Daniela’s Answer

2

Hi Mitchel,

Don't worry - you don't have to spend a lot of money or pour through fashion magazines to figure out what to wear to your interview. Fortunately, men's fashion is relatively straightforward. Using a few basic pieces, it's easy to put together an outfit that is stylish, professional and tasteful.

While interviews at startup companies or for non-professional jobs signify a more casual look, if you're interviewing for a professional position, it's important that you stick with a formal look.

• A well-fitting grey blazer or sportscoat works in both a business formal and business casual environment. Dressed up with a colorful button down and tie, and layered with a cardigan, the look is modern and stylish but still work-place appropriate.

Not sure if the company you're interviewing at requires a business casual, or business formal type of dress? Find the middle ground with a khaki blazer and coordinating pants.

• A khaki blazer is less harsh than a black or grey suit coat. It's a great piece because it straddles the boundary between business casual and business formal.

• Layer a sweater with a button down for the most dependable business casual look. A navy sweater is a good choice, as it matches many different shirt colors. Pair the layered top with khakis, grey chinos or even dark wash jeans (in a less formal environment, such as at a startup company) for an easy interview outfit.

• Ties don't have to be boring. Although you should avoid anything too flashy, such as "novelty" ties with bizarre prints, don't be afraid to experiment with unexpected colors - like the burgundy ties here, for example. A "statement" tie like one of these works well with a button down sans blazer, which can be a good choice in a dressier business casual environment.

Much more tips in:

https://www.thebalance.com/interview-outfits-for-men-2061090

Have a good choice!

2

1

Mitchel,

Ask the interviewer or recruiter. This is a totally valid question to ask, and communicates to them that you are trying to properly prepare for their interview.

When I lived in D.C, the expectation was to wear a suit and tie for almost any type of interview. When I interviewed for my current job at Google, fortunately I asked, because their expectation was jeans and a collared shirt.

1

Imane’s Answer

1

Hi Mitchell;
I would advise in general to wear a suit with a skirt or pants. it's is more secure to be conservative and formal.
You might want to choose a dark color so avoid bright colors, animal prints, or anything flashy or bright.
Be simple so keep your jewelry and hair accessories to a minimum :)
Finally, your clothing should always be neat and pressed, it will give a good impression to your interviewer.

Good Luck !

Imane

1

Paul A’s Answer

1

Why not frame the picture and enhance its greatness! :-)

1

Ken’s Answer

0

Hi Mitchell!

Here is some good advice from Michigan State University:
http://careernetwork.msu.edu/jobs-internships/appearance-and-attire/dressing-for-interviews.html

0

Veronica’s Answer

0

Before you pick out you job interview, there are things you need to consider. I went to job interviews where I wore a suit and did not get the job.

Veronica recommends the following next steps:

• Research your industry. Unless you are trying to get a job in finance, government or law, do not wear a suit.
  • Research the company's culture. Some companies have a formal, conservative dress while others have more laid back dress code.
  • It always keep this in mind. No matter what you wear, much sure you outfit is clean, wrinkle-free, no holes, not too loose and not too tight.
0