What are the main differences between a retail-pharamacist and a clinical-pharamacist?

I am interested in participating in the pharmaceutical field one day and was wondering if it would be better to work as a pharmacist in retail or clinic. #pharmacy #pharmacists #pharmaceuticals #pharmacist #pharmaceutical-industry #clinical-pharmacy #retail-pharmacy

London Doyoung’s Answer

I would have to say clinical pharmacist incorporates more disease state and clinical guidelines in their job compared to retail pharmacists. I've worked for retail for 2.5 years and rotated in hospitals for about an year. I've enjoyed hospital more, since I really like going on rounds with the doctors and providing assessments/plans regarding patients' disease states. Plus, I've seen many students who enjoyed clinical side of the pharmacy but were too late on changing their decisions since we do "rotations (experiential prgorams)" in last year of our pharmacy school. However, I've seen students and pharmacists who prefers retail setting where they could be friends with the patients and enjoy having casual conversation with the customers. I would recommend you to work as a technician or intern in both retail and hospital pharmacy and going from there.

Great question. It would be a personal preference. Either way you're still dispensing medication to a patient population. Quality-of-life, salary, and proximity to home often times is a major factor in choosing a job. Best of luck, Regards