What are some good clubs to join in college? What advice do you have for someone who wants to start a club?

If I have an interest in writing, history, and the humanities, how can I use in that in the college world? What advice do you have for someone who wants to start a club? #college #college-admissions #college-majors #college-jobs #history #humanities #student-affairs #student-clubs

As far as joining clubs it all depends on your major, interests, hobbies, and intended career. Join clubs that work well with your schedule and have subject-matter that you're interested in.

As far as starting clubs, I would say definitely depends on the type of club you want to start. You have to have the knowledge, resources, expertise, and networking skills to get your club going. The first thing to do is get all of your ideas down on paper into a plan for what kind of club you want to start, how you will recruit members to join, and what your club will do. I would say definitely get a group of friends together who would like to join and help you get it started. Then, once you have founders, members, and a plan for what your club will do -- go to your University's Student Affairs manager and ask to open the club/acquire a set meeting place. Then, you'll have to get members by posting fliers around campus.

Jerrin’s Answer

Q. If I have an interest in writing, history, and the humanities, how can I use in that in the college world? What advice do you have for someone who wants to start a club?

A person who has a particular interest in writing, history, and the humanities while in college has 2 options to proceed towards their particular interest. One option primarily being that they can join an existing group present at college eg. Literature club - Which can act as a launchpad for people who have a particular interest towards writing, orating or any aspect related to literature. Similarly other clubs like History can join the History Society which conducts regular exhibitions, events & sessions regarding different Historical events, their significance & the impact they have during the current generation & also the change that has occurred due to the impact of these historical events. In case if a person has interest in any particular aspect he can check for people with similar interests & form a group, design a simple model plan consisting of how this group would function, what would be the mission of this group & how it would be properly executed. Once this has been done they can seek an approval from the College authority & then people with the similar interests can join the newly formed group.

That is fantastic advice! Thank you, Jerrin. Vera L.

Sonya’s Answer

Hi Vera,

Joining a club is a great way to learn and share and to gain awareness in something that you are interested in even if it's not what you plan on majoring in. It's a great way to network and to sharpen your skills. Since writing is one of your interests you can join or start a writing club. Have each member bring a draft of a piece they have written to share for pointers from others in the club. Invite speakers in the field to share their experiences and offer tips. Have outings to events that will help educate club members. Participate in fund-raising events for the club or to give funds raised to a related organization. Have the club members volunteer for community volunteer events which in turn the added benefit of creating awareness for the club. All the best to you.

Ann’s Answer

Hi Vera,

This is a great question! When I was in college I was the Liasion between the student government and the student run clubs on campus. To form a club you will want to do the following:

Ann recommends the following next steps:

• Put together a pitch for your club. What does it do and what is the purpose? You will also want to determine the parameters for joining.
  • Find a faculty member willing to advise the group. Most universities require a faculty or staff advisor for each student organization.
  • Reach out to student government to get the process for starting a club. If your school doesn't have a student government, then I would contact the Director or Dean of Student Services. The Academic Affairs department deals solely with faculty and coursework. Student Services is in charge of resources and services for students.