3

What to expect being a computer scientist ?

What to understand and learn when diving into the field of computer science such as, social environment, scheduling hours, pay-rate, and sections of mathematics that are specialized/required in this course? #mathematics #science #technology

3

1

Leo’s Answer

Studying Computer Science is not the same as being a Computer Scientist.

Computer Science covers areas centered around Mathematics, especially Discrete Mathematics, Automata and especially Turing Machines. This is the foundation upon which the modern computers were built. Usually Computer Science is a course that is taken as part of a Bachelor's degree. If you study Computer Engineering, or Software Engineering, you'll probably take this course at some point. If you study these areas, you end up being an Engineer, not a Scientist.

To become a Scientist, you usually have to study graduate courses: a Masters of Science (MSc) and then Doctor of Science (PhD) degree. Then, after all that is done, some people still study even more. Once you're done with all that, you're still not a Scientist, but you can brag that you've got a PhD (or worse, brag that you're a "Doctor" and then have people ask you "Will you take a look at this weird spot in my skin?", to which, the only reasonable answer is: "Not that kind of Doctor"). The point is that studying an MSc or PhD will force you to do Research and Write Scientific Papers that then get published in scientific journals, and other similar media. It also gives you an idea of what type of work you'll be expected to do as a Scientist.

From the context of your question, it sounds like you're trying to ask about Software Development (because you mentioned pay rates and hours); but I'm not sure. If that's what you're asking then just search careervillage for "Software Development" and you'll find more information.

Leo recommends the following next steps:

Search careervillage for Software Development
Thank you comment icon Thank you I really appreciate your feedback, it really helps Spencer T.
Thank you comment icon No problem! I'm glad you found this useful. Please feel free to ask more follow-up questions if you need more information! Leo Reyes
1
0

Vinay’s Answer

The word scientist often gets associated with PhD and that's a long winding path. It's a very self-driven program. So you need to be a very self-motivated person to navigate the PhD path. Also, picking a good advisor and one who is working in you area(s) of interest will be of primary importance if you choose to go down this path.
A computer scientist as a role is a VERY broad classification. However, you will have to pick basic math and computer science (architecture, compilers, algorithms, etc. ) to be able to get really into it. Again, you could go into the industry and be a researcher in any of the tech firms or work in a university with a professor and be a part of academia if you choose to long term.

If I were you, the next steps would be to
- Identify what you want to work on as a computer scientist
- Math - I would look into Discrete math, Probability and statistics as a starting point
- I would also do some basic computer architecture courses, mixed in with coding and software architecture.
0
0

Mickael’s Answer

Learning Computer Science does not necessary means becoming computer scientist. Most of us became software engineers or hardware engineers or both (in some times).

Social environment:
Well, be ready to work with others. Almost of software engineers work in a team with other peers. You need to learn to have critical view, and accept be criticized to improve

Scheduling hours:
As many other jobs, this really depends upon the employer your are working for. Many jobs in this area require at least 40 hours a week. Small companies, like startups, may require more of your time.

pay-rate:
Really depends on the job you get when we are hired, the company and many other factors. It's hard to reply to this question. But overall this is a well paid job.

and sections of mathematics that are specialized/required in this course?
I didn't study in the U.S. so I can't really answer that question. Sorry.
0