What is the 1 book you would suggest everyone reads in their lifetime?

I'm making it a personal goal to read for 30 minutes daily again, and am looking for some quality material. Anything related to science, technology, or woman's history are very interesting to me. #college #engineering #science #technology #tech #women-in-tech #reading #women-in-engineering #books

great question!!! Desiree Giler Mann

137

Daniela’s Answer

Hi Maria,

You can read:

Emotional Intelligence, by Daniel Goleman

"Everyone knows that high IQ is no guarantee of success, happiness, or virtue, but until Emotional Intelligence, we could only guess why. Daniel Goleman's brilliant report from the frontiers of psychology and neuroscience offers startling new insight into our "two minds"—the rational and the emotional—and how they together shape our destiny.

Through vivid examples, Goleman delineates the five crucial skills of emotional intelligence, and shows how they determine our success in relationships, work, and even our physical well-being. What emerges is an entirely new way to talk about being smart.

The best news is that "emotional literacy" is not fixed early in life. Every parent, every teacher, every business leader, and everyone interested in a more civil society, has a stake in this compelling vision of human possibility".

https://www.amazon.com/Emotional-Intelligence-Matter-More-Than/dp/055338371X

Best!

I would recommend reading Rich Dad Poor Dad. It has great information about managing finance and is great for improving financial literacy Mohit G.

10

Lisa’s Answer

Here are two of my faves, that are simple and easy reading but oh so effective.

1. Who Moved my Cheese - Deals with change
2. Fish! - How to bring energy, passion, and a positive attitude to the job every day

Lisa, great advice! I too like "Who Moved my Cheese" by Dr. Spencer Johnson. • • https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NBZFWA/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1 Sheila Jordan

5

Lee’s Answer

Without question, The War of Art: Winning the Inner Creative Battle.

As a young person, you'll need to develop an inner dialogue that inspires your creative confidence. The War of Art refers to this as "Resistance".

Creativity and collaborative problem solving is a future skill.

Additionally, it's very hard to know the best way to seek success and how it should be defined for you.

Thankfully we can externally source wisdom and cheat the learning curve by taking time to invest in reflection.

This book will give you the energy and belief of a Tony Robbins event in the comfort of your home.

I wish you more than luck!

Lee recommends the following next steps:

https://www.amazon.com/War-Art-Winning-Creative-Battle/dp/1590710037/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
Saved!

Hi Lee, Gurpreet here from CareerVillage.org! I just wanted to let you know that I removed the second next step as we do not encourage students/professionals to interact outside of the platform for safety reasons. Gurpreet Lally

3

Amy (Scheffer)’s Answer

Lean In - Women, Work and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg

This book is a must-read for any female profession in the corporate world. Enjoy!

Amy

3

Sevana’s Answer

12 Rules for Life by Jordan B. Peterson.
It's categorized as a self help book, but it's a lot more than that. Jordan Peterson is a clinical psychologist, who speaks from a lot of real life experience of dealing with people, he also has a profound understanding of the nature of reality it its most true sense. This book provides valuable insight into how move forward in life and have meaning and motivation, despite all the hardship and tragedy that is the default of our existance.

Another great book (read for pleasure) is The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, a historical novel taking place in 12th century that you will be hooked on so quickly. It has suspense, action, and romance, but it also is a lot of history.

Jordan Peterson's Podcast is also wonderful. It goes through the rules and is pretty inspiring. His whole aim is to encourage people to stand up and Act in the world. We are all responsible for the world we live in. So go do something about it if you don't like it. Robert Walz

3

Mohammad’s Answer

I would suggest that everybody should read "When Breath Becomes Air." It is a book about a thriving Stanford Neurosurgeon who get's diagnosed with cancer. It teaches you a lot about how best to deal with hardships and how to overcome adversity head on.

2

Becoming by Michelle Obama

This is a very moving memoir detailing Michelle's upbringing and her life with Barack Obama. While it was very interesting to read about her life, it also broken down various processes about campaigning that I didn't know before. One chapter brought me to tears, just saying, good read!

2

Jasanpreet Kaur’s Answer

The Secret by Rhonda Byrne - It is an eye opener.

2

Rajesh’s Answer

There is really no single book that one can recommend reading as a book that is suitable for you will depend on your personal situation, age, stage of life and other factors. In general, considering your young age, books on personal finance, career management and building skills that will help you in your life will be more suitable.

If I do have to suggest one book, it will be Stephen Covey's "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People". You may have heard that winning is a habit, not just luck (if you want to win again and again). The basic habits referred to in this book, if inculcated properly, will help you in all walks of life, including your career. Think of this book as a foundation to whatever you may do later. Remember, it is just my advice so take it what you paid for it! Good luck!!

2

Shirley’s Answer

I recommend Educated by Tara Westover. It's a memoir of her life as someone who grew up in a family that did not believe in public education, and her father constantly prepares for the "end of days". She didn't even get a birth certificate until the age of 9 for fear of the government. Its a fantastic read that depicts how she was able to open her eyes to the world beyond her home and expand her perceptions outside what she was taught her whole life.

1

Harshita’s Answer

The 2 books i would highly recommend you to start reading would be :
1. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
2. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

1

Anthony’s Answer

Hi Maria - tough question! I'm not sure there's a right answer here. But, I'm a huge proponent of learning from history. Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari is very popular right now.

A much easier and very relevant read in today's society is Braving the Wilderness by Brene Brown. It's a shorter one (I finished it about 2 weeks) and very powerful. It touches on topics as it relates to understanding ourselves, how to be vulnerable in our society, and how to approach conversations with people who have different opinions on topics.

I hope this helps! I also recommend checking out anything by Malcolm Gladwell.

Sapiens is a great book indeed! Fikret Atalay

I also recommend Sapiens! Marie MacNichol

1

Crystal’s Answer

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey

The book gives you an understanding of how to live a life based with basic principles. Every new habit will will help you grow from the inside out. The teachings that are within the book allow you to apply to everyday life. The make sense in the real world and easy to incorporate in your life. The book breaks things down easily to understand.

1

Mai’s Answer

I would highly recommend "7 habits of highly effective people". This book includes powerful lessons for you to be success in your life.

1

steve’s Answer

Good to Great was a very eye opening book..... My manager bought this book for all of his managers.... Every week we had a Leadership meeting and talked about chapters in the book.... Every week we read and discussed what we thought it meant and how it would relate to our field..... Very interesting and eye opening.

1

Francisco’s Answer

There are a lot of great recommendations already. One that I did not see but had a significant effect on how I see things is Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari. You can find more information here: https://www.ynharari.com/book/sapiens/

1

Tobias’s Answer

This book isn't directly related to the topics you mentioned, but the most impactful book I've read in my life has been Loving Kindness by Sharon Salzberg. It talks about loving kindness meditation. In my opinion, you don't have to be interested in meditation or the things that go along with it to get value out of this book as it first deals with the act of being kind to yourself, and that's something that nearly everyone can benefit from.

Almost everyone I've encountered in my life is happy to support others and is ready to forgive or see the positives in their actions, but when it comes to their own actions or circumstances they can be harsh on themselves. Be kind to yourself.

1

Shubham’s Answer

There are lots of good books recommended on the page.

I would like to add one which has made a large impact on how I invest (not just money, be it time or anything else) : The Intelligent Investor. The book is written by Benjamin Graham who was Warren Buffett’s mentor. The idea of the book is to focus on long-term wealth building and not short-term gains.

1

Gonzalo’s Answer

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

The novel is about the importance of the rule of law, and the complexity of human beings

The Lord Of The Flies also teaches an important life lesson: if you were ever bullied in your past, DO NOT REVEAL IT to a new group of people who don't know that history. If the character in the book named Piggy never told the other kids that he used to be picked on and called Piggy by a different group of kids, he would have avoided all the trouble he experienced. Tom Onusaitis

1

Stephen’s Answer

I read a short book called "The Idiot as Manager" - with the premise that someone who is totally unqualified in the job is promoted to lead the team.

It's kind of a "fake it 'til you make it" story, but there are a lot of important lessons for people who transition into management and how they struggle to do the right thing because they become too autocratic. It works in a lot of other situations in life too.

For example - when asked by a team player, "what should I do next"? The idiot manager asks "what do you recommend" instead of taking over with their own ideas - which would stifle the individual. The idiot manager accidentally empowered the team player, who was expecting the boss to have the answer and take the problem away from them.

Sorry I don't remember details about the publisher and author.

1

Nadine’s Answer

"7 Habits of Highly Effective People" - this book translates to so many different scenarios in personal and professional life. I highly highly suggest everyone read it at least once.

1

Ramendrajit’s Answer

Try and read a book called “ Who Moved my Cheese” . It’s a great book and talks about how to deal with Changes at work and life .

1

LaTonya M’s Answer

I suggest reading The Boiling Frog: How Complacency and Ignorance Created Our Leadership Crisis and What We Can Do About It by Michael Darmody. This book is a true eye opener and after reading, you will see how important it is to not fall victim to complacency. – LaTonya M Brown, PMP®,SFC™ 1 sec ago

1

Glenda’s Answer

Eckhart Tolle - The Power of Now!

1

Denise’s Answer

Maria,

I don't have a book title for you, but I do have a suggestion that goes all the way back to when I first started reading.

Even if I was just reading for enjoyment, I always had a dictionary by my side so that if I encountered a word I didn't know I looked it up. This not only helped me to better understand what I was reading but also helped build my vocabulary. Now it is even easier with digital assistants. Just ask Alexa or Siri.

Happy reading!

Denise, great advice. I agree with you about having a digital dictionary (I have an app on my phone) available and just ask Alexa or Siri. Sheila Jordan

1

Aaron’s Answer

Give and Take: Why Helping Others Drives Our Success by Adam Grant.

1

TV’s Answer

Dear Maria,

Looking at all the answers above, I can say that the folks above are much well read and some of the books ranging from self-help to fantasy are definitely the best ones out there.

I would slightly digress from the answers above and suggest a book titled "Word Power Made Easy" by Norman Lewis. This book talks about English words, their origin, etymology, pronunciation and will definitely add many more words to your vocabulary. I found this book to be extremely useful and it helped me learn several new words which I use on a day-to -day basis.

So, if you ever want to have "your way with words", then I would recommend that you give this book a try.

Regards.

"7 Habits of Highly Effective People" = especially the world of abundance section. Also, watch this video, it is the best I have seen on how to react to life = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLqzYDZAqCI Jason Swensen

1

Lizzie’s Answer

There's a lot of nonfiction suggestions here, but I'd like to throw some fiction in the ring.

I'd recommend Pride and Prejudice as well as the Great Gatsby--both are classics that are often taught or required reading in high school. There are some books that influence and are referenced by other forms of media, and these are two of them.

0

Peter’s Answer

Maria:

I would without hesitation, suggest you read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy by Tolken. It is a wonderful, remarkable book, full of wonder and some very believable fantasy. It is a classic tale of an unassuming hero [itched against a powerful, unrelenting enemy of Man. Over the years I have re-read the three books three times over and never cease to be fascinated and inspired.

Pete Sturtevant, PE

0

Kelsey B.’s Answer

I highly recommend "Hidden Figures" by Margot Lee Shetterly. I have not yet read the book but the movie was amazing. I can only imagine the amount of detail and information that will be in the book.

0

Srinivas’s Answer

"No one size fits all" - Understanding individual team member, Maturity levels, skill set, capabilities, saturation levels, priorities and many more aspects. And Bring all the team members to work under one umbrella as a Team.  

0

Kaitlyn’s Answer

The Last Lecture, a great book and a NY Times best-seller by Randy Pausch who died of pancreatic cancer in 2008. Upon being given a terminal diagnosis, he gave a final lecture entitled "The Last Lecture: Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams" at Carnegie Mellon in 2007. I read the book 5+ years ago but many of the themes have stuck with me ever since. The book itself is short and sweet, however, it is full of inspiration, life lessons, and humor... including when Pausch did push-ups on stage during his lecture. It is definitely a quick read but so so inspiring and will stick with you for years to come!

0

Fikret’s Answer

Factfullness by Hans Rosling. While I believe the author can be overly rosy and slightly sensational at times, the book nonetheless makes very important points about fact-based decision-making and many common misconceptions we have arising from it. Highly recommend it.

Also, The Book of Joy by Dalai Lama, Desmond Tutu and Douglas Abrams. It is a wonderful that puts many things in perspective and provides strategies for finding joy and happiness in life. I just finished reading it, and it has already changed my outlook on many things.

0

Sri Athithya Kruth’s Answer

I would suggest the book 'The Happiness Hypothesis' by Jonathan Haidt.

This book talks about various approaches to happiness from different religions and cultures throughout the world's history and relates them to modern positive psychology to produce a great read, which will help you find out what makes up what we perceive to be happiness.

Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Happiness-Hypothesis-Finding-Modern-Ancient/dp/0465028020/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2RYFHXHZUXCWS&keywords=the+happiness+hypothesis+by+jonathan+haidt&qid=1568122839&s=gateway&sprefix=the+happiness+h%2Caps%2C344&sr=8-1

Another great would be 'Grit' by Angela Duckworth. Duckworth talks about some of the most important qualities for success, Grit, which is a secret seen in experts and successful professionals in all spheres of life, and explains how you can cultivate and nurture your Grit.

Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Grit-Passion-Perseverance-Angela-Duckworth/dp/1501111116/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3RHE0EQFOIMRT&keywords=grit+by+angela+duckworth&qid=1568122977&s=gateway&sprefix=Grit+by+An%2Caps%2C347&sr=8-1

Happy reading! Hope this helps!

0

Sam’s Answer

While I'm not going to say it's the ONE book I'd read over all others, How to Win Friends and Influence People is a book very well worth reading, especially for any young person who isn't comfortable or confident when conversing with others.

When I graduated from high school, I was an awkward kid and I wasn't yet fully comfortable in my own skin. I didn't have much experience in how to interact with others. I finally saw this book at a book store and bought it. I found its advice to be really really useful in that respect. It gives a lot of simple and easy to execute tips on - of course - how to win friends and influence people.

Some examples:
- practice at remembering peoples' names, and use their names when talking to them
- look people in the eyes when you speak with them, and don't be afraid to smile
- don't just pretend to be interested in someone; be genuinely interested
- talk or ask about the other person or things they are interested in (because people generally like to talk about themselves)

It contains just a lot of good advice, and I gained confidence in myself just by reading it.

0

In my opinion, there is no one book because no one has a corner on any niche of knowledge. What I would recommend you do is to create a cycle of categories that would give you a breath of understanding and knowledge and which will stimulate you to think. Offhand I would suggest several categories : 1. History (including good historical fiction such as Herman Wouk's Winds of War and War and Remembrance and historical commentary such as  Upton Sinclaire's King Coal and The Jungle). History give you an excellent window into the currents which define and affect our modern world. 2. Classics such as the Works of Hemmingway, Sinclair Lewis, Steinbeck Faulkner. The character development in great fiction will challenge your blinders and biases and will give you experience in exploring the minds of others, especially those who don't look at life quite the same way as you. 3. Philosophy, to help you form and challenge your worldview 4. How to and other Technical books to broaden your practical and social skill sets.   But most of all set your heart on being  a lifelong learner!  Remember, intellectual capital is the best asset you could bring to any experience. I would look into your local library's e and audio learning options as well. I personally subscribe to several online libraries: they are all free and always have a wealth of topics to choose from. I love listening to audio books when driving , walking or traveling. Good luck !  

0

Garima’s Answer

Lot of good suggestions on this page.
Few of my favorite of all times is Outliers by Malcom Gladwell and Start with Why by Simon Sinek.

0

Dennis’s Answer

Hello, that is a tough and great question. Every one has their own comfort in reading, so here is what the "experts" would say to read. enjoy

1. To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

0

Jake’s Answer

Who Moved My Cheese? - By Spencer Johnson

Quick and easy read.
Helps you understand why change and adaptability are so important in both your personal and professional life.

0

Avinash’s Answer

"Eat that Frog" by Brian Tracy.
Short yet powerful to start with.

0

Krasti’s Answer

There are so many great books answered for this question. Even so that I added some to my personal reading list. While I would echo a lot of books that were recommended, I am suggesting a book that is not as popular but still very worth reading and that is "Why We Sleep" by Matthew Walker. Why We Sleep is a great book that breaks down the importance and benefits from sleeping. While a lot people are aware that getting that sleeping is important, not many people realize why that is the case and how getting insufficient sleep can deteriorate your health. It is important that we educate ourselves on sleep because that is the one thing we need to get enough of in order to function efficiently. Highly recommend this book! (Be warned, some chapters may make you fall asleep, but even the author expresses that THAT is OK because you're benefiting from that sleep)

0

Eunicy’s Answer

I would recommend the book "The Leader Who Had No Title" by Robin Sharma. It is a motivational novel  for anyone who wants to improve his/her leadership skills, and it gives a brief insight on the styles of leadership. It also increases your ability to understand the difference between where as a leader do you stand. Pointing out what one essentially needs in a mandate to excel, both personal and professional lives, it is kind of a self-help book that quintessentially talks about achieving success in life.

In The Leader Who Had No Title, you will learn:

• How to work with and influence people like a superstar, regardless of your position

• A method to recognize and then seize opportunities in times of deep change

• The real secrets of intense innovation

• An instant strategy to build a great team and become a "merchant of wow" with your customers

• Hard-hitting tactics to become mentally strong and physically tough enough to lead your field

• Real-world ways to defeat stress, build an unbeatable mind-set, unleash energy, and balance your personal life

Regardless of what you do within your organization and the current circumstances of your life, the single most important fact is that you have the power to show leadership. Wherever you are in your career or life, you should always play to your peak abilities. This book shows you how to claim that staggering power, as well as transform your life—and the world around you—in the process.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Eunicy

0

Lorrena’s Answer

One of the most fascinating books I've ever read was E=mc2: A Biography of the World's Most Famous Equation by David Bodanis. If you've ever wanted to learn more about E=mc2, this is the book for you! The book talks about the history of each part of the equation and the research that led up to it's discovery. It's well worth reading!

0

Cheryl’s Answer

The power of your subconscious mind its a read you can do out of order of the chapters....great advise.

0

Tom’s Answer

Two books that everyone should read in their lifetimes were authored by George Orwell: 1984 and Animal Farm. Both are fictional, but nevertheless are among some of the most famous novels written in living memory. Many concepts and quotes from these books are spoken of in today's society on a daily basis in the media, academia, and interpersonal conversation. It can only be beneficial to be familiar with them.

It can be argued that these books serve as warnings of the nightmares that follow unchecked human corruption and the desire for power. The society depicted in 1984 is so bad that the reader will be shocked into appreciation of the freedoms they currently enjoy.

Sadly, some of the oppressive concepts in these two books can be seen in various forms around the world as we speak and are even on the rise despite our virtuous belief that we are consistently improving the world.

1984 is the story of a totalitarian society where an all-controlling regime has brainwashed the population into unthinking obedience to its leader, Big Brother (even those who haven't read 1984 have likely heard the term "Big Brother" by the time they get to high school or college). The main character, a man oppressed in this totalitarian society, comes to see that he knows nothing of the past and real history. Every historical record has either been destroyed or falsified, every book has been rewritten, every picture has been repainted, and every statue, school, street, and building has been renamed. Nothing exists except an endless present in which Big Brother is always right.

Animal Farm explores themes of totalitarianism, the corruption of ideals, and the power of language's ability to stifle freedom of expression. Unfortunately, these things will never completely cease to exist in our world, so it is important to be versed in them, know how to recognize them, and take an informed stance toward them. As depicted in Animal Farm, many revolutions begin with great-sounding principles like "equality" and "justice" only to see society become even more corrupt and oppressive than the culture or government that was overthrown.

Freedom is a prerequisite to enjoying economic freedom and the ability to pursue one's path in life, which in turn directly affects one's career, financial success, and livelihood. All of the countries on earth with the most economic freedom have the highest levels of general prosperity.

0

Stephen’s Answer

0

Debbie’s Answer

There are two books that I have come back to over and over throughout my career.

The first is called "On Writing Well" by William Zinnser. Specifically the chapter on Clutter. The higher you progress in your career, the more efficient you need to be at communicating. This chapter helped me understand what it takes to develop that skill.

The second is called the "Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg, specifically the story he relates about the Alcoa company and the concept of finding a keystone habit and leveraging it to drive change.

0

JOSEPH’s Answer

1 - Be proactive.
2 - Begin with the end in mind.
3 - First things first.
4 - Think win-win.
5 - Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
6 - Synergize!
7 - Sharpen the Saw; Growth.

Thanks for the concise summary! Tom Onusaitis

0

Manasa’s Answer

Hi Maria!! I think you'd really like The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks! It's an incredible book and it aligns well with your interests in technology an d women's history. I read it in high school and it really influenced my perspective on medicine and women's health.

0

Dennis’s Answer

Maria -

A great read for you would be:

"The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People"

You definitely will be able to leverage the information to a Successful career as it covers proven principles of fairness, integrity, honesty and just the overall human factor.

Best of Luck!

0

Ash’s Answer

“The Unbearable Lightness of Being” (1984), by Milan Kundera.

0

Shantanu’s Answer

A Short History of Nearly Everything
By
Bill Bryson

0

Rebecca’s Answer

I recommend reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

The book's main theme is about finding one's destiny. "When you really want something to happen, the whole universe will conspire so that your wish comes true."

0

Christopher’s Answer

The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham

0

Melisa’s Answer

Hi Maria,

Great question and I love all the answers and recommendations here (which I will use for my own reading list as well)!

You mentioned “Science, Technology or Womens’ History.” I’m currently reading “Rosalind Franklin: The dark lady of DNA” by Brenda Maddox. It’s pretty interesting and amazing what she accomplished in her life, but how at the time she overcame challenges to gain recognition and credit for her discovery.

I also enjoy books by Jon Gordon, www.jongordon.com. Books like “The Positive Dog,” “The Carpenter,” and “The Shark and the Goldfish” can be quick, easy and inspiring reads.

Best wishes for success in your educational and career goals!

Melisa recommends the following next steps:

Get the book “Rosalind Franklin the Dark Lady of DNA” or check out videos and information regarding her story and life.
Saved!
Check out this list of books about Women in STEM https://global.penguinrandomhouse.com/announcements/theres-a-book-for-that-women-in-stem/
Saved!
Check out www.jongordon.com
Saved!
Become a lifelong learner and reader!
Saved!

0

Elena’s Answer

Who Moved my Cheese - a very simple book that deal with understanding change and how you can move forward or stay behind
In Drop the Ball, Tiffany Dufu - moving up the career ladder Tiffany recounts how she learned to reevaluate expectations, shrink her to-do list, and meaningfully engage the assistance of others including her husband so that she can free up the time she needed to flourish at work and develop better relationships at home.
The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom - Don Miguel Ruiz & Janet Mills - a guide to freedom from self-limiting beliefs that may cause stress, personal and professional limitation in one's life

0

Sunil’s Answer

There are a lot of great recommendations already based on your interest. I don't have a book title that suits your interest, but I do have a suggestion that had changed my life forever. I started with this hobby of reading a book for 30 mins daily apart from technical stuff that is part of my day to day job at Cisco Customer experience organisation. These books varies from science, arts, history etc. Then one day got 'Rich Dad Poor Dad' by Robert Kiyosaki, with not much background on finance, I started with hesitation but this was one of the best read I would recommend.

This has had a practical impact on my thoughts about money. I realised the value of investing, compounding. Even if you dont know much about money, all finance jargon, investment; you should still read this book to start. I would like to give this advice to all the young grads passing out of college. Mantra is to start early.

Hope the advice was useful... Happy investing..

Regards
Sunil

0

Nagendra’s Answer

Interesting question. I would recommend a book for you and you can look for this and start reading this. I would also like to justify why i recommend this for you.

This book is written in one of the oldest language in the world "Tamil" that has rich tradition.

The book name is "Tirukural" and it is translated in to English. Infact this book holds the record of having the second highest translation in to other langauges next to the holy BooK "Bible" . So it is really wonder to read it as it shows the importance of it. Since christains are majority in the world - bible being converted in to many languages make sense . But this book being converted into other langauges makes yourself to think that it should have felt worth by the translators who has read it.

This book has covered all the things that is needed for a life. Each aneverything for a happy and succesfull life.

0

Mark’s Answer

I would highly recommend Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck. This is the latest edition of the original book, Growth Mindset that Carol authored. The book goes deep into the differences of having a "fixed mindset" which can be very dangerous, versus a "growth mindset" which can be very beneficial.

The book really hits home because it speaks to how these different mindsets work in both your personal and professional life. The principles can be applied to any aspect of your life from parenting all the way to having a successful career. It is written in a way that any reader can relate to with full understanding. More importantly, it sets you up to be able to take immediate action fr yourself across the board. It is even worth "re-reading" from time to time as a reminder and reference point.

A "Growth Mindset" is truly the only way to be successful and progressive in this world, whereas a "fixed mindset" will take away your ability to live your best life for sure.

Mark recommends the following next steps:

Order the book as a hard copy or digital print next time you make a book purchase
Saved!
Apply the principles to your life ASAP
Saved!

0

Prerna’s Answer

Hi,

I must suggest 'The Monk who sold his Ferrari' by Robin Sharma. He wrote two other books on the same series which are good too but this is one just a such a great insight to how we get consumed by our material wants and loose focus on important things in life. Things which get us most joy yet don't cost any money , like self satisfaction , love, contentment.

Another one If i may suggest would be 'The Alchemist'

Hope you like these books and they could guide you in your life and decisions.

0

Kimberly’s Answer

Hello! One book someone recommended to me was Crucial Conversations by Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillan, an Al Switzler. This book teaches you a lot about having difficult conversations with a team or an individual. These skills can be used in the workplace, a relationship, or when negotiating. It provides techniques to listen to the individual and properly respond. One of my favorite pieces of the book is when you realize both parties are trying to reach the same goal/find an understanding, the conversation becomes easier and you both can work together to achieve the goal instead of fighting the other. Highly recommend this book!

0

Josh’s Answer

Leaders Eat Last by Simon Sinek was absolutely transformational for me and my career. Simon sets the standard for leaders using his military experience to explain how great leaders act, speak, think, and, most important, lead.

Most important, Sinek identifies that leaders identified in an org chat. A manager is not a leader simply because they have the role of manager. Why does that matter? You can be a leader!! Leading doesn't mean telling people what to do or having a title, leadership is about making your team better because you are a part of it.

Sir Isaac Newton once said, "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." The role of a leader is to be the shoulders that help those around you to see further.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16144853-leaders-eat-last

0

Spyros’s Answer

One of my all time favourite books is "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion" by R. Cialdini. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge shared in this book about the ways we are influenced to do certain things, how certain behaviours affect influence and how they can defend against manipulation. I like how it provides examples from real life situations and I believe this book is very beneficial for both personal and professional development. Certainly my favourite psychology book.

0

Elizabeth’s Answer

Speed of Trust, rank Covey

Alas, Babylon; by Pat Frank,

0

Pritesh’s Answer

For Leadership or even general leading type guidance for Professional or Personal, check out: Leading Without Authority by Ferrazzi

0

Kirk’s Answer

Some great suggestions above and a number I have not read yet, so I appreciate all the good ideas that came before me.

A couple I do not see on here:

1. Right Risk by Bill Treasurer - I read this book when I am concerned fear is keeping me from making a necessary change in my life.

2. How To Fail At Everything And Still Win Big by Scott Adams - Adams provides examples from his life that illustrate how to change your thinking from a "goals based" approach to a "systems approach". Focusing on goals works for some problems, but others are stubborn and need a different approach.

0

Mark’s Answer

Eat That Frog

0

Sethu’s Answer

How to fly a horse .. Kevin Ashton
Impulse.. Dr David Lewis

0

Uday Rao’s Answer

"Everyone has a story"
by Savi Sharma

"This is not your story"
by Savi Sharma

Must read these books in life time.....

0

Sungmin’s Answer

Hello,

My recommendation is not a book but an article by Michael Sandel: The Case Against Perfection.

The work presents a view on the technological trends (particularly genetics) and argues about the possible harms that might occur with these changes.

Sungmin recommends the following next steps:

Link to source: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2004/04/the-case-against-perfection/302927/
Saved!

0

Julian’s Answer

Hey Maria,

I would recommend “Becoming” by Michelle Obama it a very solid memoir by one of the strongest and powerful women in the world. This book is a 10/10 for me.

0

Romeo’s Answer

I have read a lot of books but the one life changing is "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen Covey.

0

Vernon’s Answer

I can't offer one single title for reading because there are so many genres. Here are some choices.

Politics: "Shock Doctrine", by Naomi Klein; "Dark Money", by Jane Mayer; "Collapse", by Jared Diamond; "Drift", by Rachel Maddow; "Racing to the Brink: The End Game for Race and Capitalism", by Vernon Turner

Science: "Ever Since Darwin", by Stephen J. Gould; "The Sixth Extinction", by .......; "A Brief History of Time", by Stephen Hawking, "On the Origin of Species", by Charles Darwin.

Novel: "Sophie's Choice", by William Stryon

Enjoy.

0

Allen’s Answer

Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. This will ensure your financial future

0

Allison’s Answer

I would recommend The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot!

0

Aba’s Answer

Tony Robbins, Letters from a friend. Easy to read, uplifting and helps you find your best self.

0

Simeon’s Answer

I'd recommend the Enneagram book "Personality Types" by Riso and Hudson. The Enneagram personality system has been one of the most useful tools that I've come across over the years.

0

Nicholas’s Answer

Hi Maria! one book I've always recommended to my friends and family is to read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" This book is all about managing money and making the right moves to best advance your financial future. If you are interested in a job in the financial arena, or just hoping to prosper in your financial interests, this is the book for you, and a very good read!

0

Amrutha’s Answer

Zero to One, Book by Blake Masters and Peter Thiel. Its a quick read book with wonderful ideas for developing managerial skills.

0

Ryan’s Answer

I'd recommend Principles by Ray Dalio.

0

Alisha’s Answer

Who moved my cheese. By Spencer Johnson. I liked this book when I first read it. It is a simple analogy that explains change in a work place and ways to react to that change.

0

Luke’s Answer

I agree with what many have answered in that recommending a book broadly is tough, but Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely is an easy read with clear examples of how humans make decisions.

0

Priscilla’s Answer

Hi! The one book i would recommend is "the most powerful woman in the room is you" by Lydia Fenet. That book changed a lot of my view points and also solidified some of the actions i was taking in my everyday life and for my career. I listened to it through audible and really enjoyed her life story and lessons. Good luck!

Priscilla recommends the following next steps:

The most powerful woman in the room is you
Saved!

0

Katherine’s Answer

I'm not sure if this book has been said yet, but I'd highly recommend The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan. It is a wonderful compilation of essays and stories and its description reads, "An affecting and hope-filled posthumous collection of essays and stories from the talented young Yale graduate whose title essay captured the world’s attention in 2012 and turned her into an icon for her generation."

Enjoy!

0

Lucineh’s Answer

Hello Maria! That is a great habit you are trying to develop. I would suggest that you read The Big Short. It is an excellent book that has useful information about mortgage based securities and it also has a very interesting story.

0

Corrine’s Answer

One best novel to read for Women history would be "Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love & So Much More by Janet Mock". This book will make you think take a step back and look at your own life.

0

Johanna’s Answer

7 habits of highly effective people

0
Updated Tr