What is the 1 book you would suggest everyone reads in their lifetime?

I'm making it a personal goal to read for 30 minutes daily again, and am looking for some quality material. Anything related to science, technology, or woman's history are very interesting to me. college engineering science technology tech women-in-tech reading women-in-engineering books

great question!!! Desiree Giler Mann

138

Daniela’s Answer

Hi Maria,

You can read:

Emotional Intelligence, by Daniel Goleman

"Everyone knows that high IQ is no guarantee of success, happiness, or virtue, but until Emotional Intelligence, we could only guess why. Daniel Goleman's brilliant report from the frontiers of psychology and neuroscience offers startling new insight into our "two minds"—the rational and the emotional—and how they together shape our destiny.

Through vivid examples, Goleman delineates the five crucial skills of emotional intelligence, and shows how they determine our success in relationships, work, and even our physical well-being. What emerges is an entirely new way to talk about being smart.

The best news is that "emotional literacy" is not fixed early in life. Every parent, every teacher, every business leader, and everyone interested in a more civil society, has a stake in this compelling vision of human possibility".

https://www.amazon.com/Emotional-Intelligence-Matter-More-Than/dp/055338371X

Best!

I would recommend reading Rich Dad Poor Dad. It has great information about managing finance and is great for improving financial literacy Mohit G.

10

Lisa’s Answer

Here are two of my faves, that are simple and easy reading but oh so effective.

1. Who Moved my Cheese - Deals with change
2. Fish! - How to bring energy, passion, and a positive attitude to the job every day

Lisa, great advice! I too like "Who Moved my Cheese" by Dr. Spencer Johnson. • • https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NBZFWA/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1 Sheila Jordan

5

Amy (Scheffer)’s Answer

Lean In - Women, Work and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg

This book is a must-read for any female profession in the corporate world. Enjoy!

Amy

3

Sevana’s Answer

12 Rules for Life by Jordan B. Peterson.
It's categorized as a self help book, but it's a lot more than that. Jordan Peterson is a clinical psychologist, who speaks from a lot of real life experience of dealing with people, he also has a profound understanding of the nature of reality it its most true sense. This book provides valuable insight into how move forward in life and have meaning and motivation, despite all the hardship and tragedy that is the default of our existance.

Another great book (read for pleasure) is The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, a historical novel taking place in 12th century that you will be hooked on so quickly. It has suspense, action, and romance, but it also is a lot of history.

Jordan Peterson's Podcast is also wonderful. It goes through the rules and is pretty inspiring. His whole aim is to encourage people to stand up and Act in the world. We are all responsible for the world we live in. So go do something about it if you don't like it. Robert Walz

3

Lee’s Answer

Without question, The War of Art: Winning the Inner Creative Battle.

As a young person, you'll need to develop an inner dialogue that inspires your creative confidence. The War of Art refers to this as "Resistance".

Creativity and collaborative problem solving is a future skill.

Additionally, it's very hard to know the best way to seek success and how it should be defined for you.

Thankfully we can externally source wisdom and cheat the learning curve by taking time to invest in reflection.

This book will give you the energy and belief of a Tony Robbins event in the comfort of your home.

I wish you more than luck!

Lee recommends the following next steps:

https://www.amazon.com/War-Art-Winning-Creative-Battle/dp/1590710037/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Hi Lee, Gurpreet here from CareerVillage.org! I just wanted to let you know that I removed the second next step as we do not encourage students/professionals to interact outside of the platform for safety reasons. Gurpreet Lally

3

Rajesh’s Answer

There is really no single book that one can recommend reading as a book that is suitable for you will depend on your personal situation, age, stage of life and other factors. In general, considering your young age, books on personal finance, career management and building skills that will help you in your life will be more suitable.

If I do have to suggest one book, it will be Stephen Covey's "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People". You may have heard that winning is a habit, not just luck (if you want to win again and again). The basic habits referred to in this book, if inculcated properly, will help you in all walks of life, including your career. Think of this book as a foundation to whatever you may do later. Remember, it is just my advice so take it what you paid for it! Good luck!!
2

Becoming by Michelle Obama

This is a very moving memoir detailing Michelle's upbringing and her life with Barack Obama. While it was very interesting to read about her life, it also broken down various processes about campaigning that I didn't know before. One chapter brought me to tears, just saying, good read!
2

Mohammad’s Answer

I would suggest that everybody should read "When Breath Becomes Air." It is a book about a thriving Stanford Neurosurgeon who get's diagnosed with cancer. It teaches you a lot about how best to deal with hardships and how to overcome adversity head on.

2

Jasanpreet Kaur’s Answer

The Secret by Rhonda Byrne - It is an eye opener.
2

Stephen’s Answer

I read a short book called "The Idiot as Manager" - with the premise that someone who is totally unqualified in the job is promoted to lead the team.

It's kind of a "fake it 'til you make it" story, but there are a lot of important lessons for people who transition into management and how they struggle to do the right thing because they become too autocratic. It works in a lot of other situations in life too.

For example - when asked by a team player, "what should I do next"? The idiot manager asks "what do you recommend" instead of taking over with their own ideas - which would stifle the individual. The idiot manager accidentally empowered the team player, who was expecting the boss to have the answer and take the problem away from them.

Sorry I don't remember details about the publisher and author.
1

Tobias’s Answer

This book isn't directly related to the topics you mentioned, but the most impactful book I've read in my life has been Loving Kindness by Sharon Salzberg. It talks about loving kindness meditation. In my opinion, you don't have to be interested in meditation or the things that go along with it to get value out of this book as it first deals with the act of being kind to yourself, and that's something that nearly everyone can benefit from.

Almost everyone I've encountered in my life is happy to support others and is ready to forgive or see the positives in their actions, but when it comes to their own actions or circumstances they can be harsh on themselves. Be kind to yourself.
1

LaTonya M’s Answer

I suggest reading The Boiling Frog: How Complacency and Ignorance Created Our Leadership Crisis and What We Can Do About It by Michael Darmody. This book is a true eye opener and after reading, you will see how important it is to not fall victim to complacency. – LaTonya M Brown, PMP®,SFC™ 1 sec ago
1

Ramendrajit’s Answer

Try and read a book called “ Who Moved my Cheese” . It’s a great book and talks about how to deal with Changes at work and life .
1

Glenda’s Answer

Eckhart Tolle - The Power of Now!
1

Harshita’s Answer

The 2 books i would highly recommend you to start reading would be :
1. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
2. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

1

Nadine’s Answer

"7 Habits of Highly Effective People" - this book translates to so many different scenarios in personal and professional life. I highly highly suggest everyone read it at least once.
1

Crystal’s Answer

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey

The book gives you an understanding of how to live a life based with basic principles. Every new habit will will help you grow from the inside out. The teachings that are within the book allow you to apply to everyday life. The make sense in the real world and easy to incorporate in your life. The book breaks things down easily to understand.
1

Aaron’s Answer

Give and Take: Why Helping Others Drives Our Success by Adam Grant.
1

TV’s Answer

Dear Maria,

Looking at all the answers above, I can say that the folks above are much well read and some of the books ranging from self-help to fantasy are definitely the best ones out there.

I would slightly digress from the answers above and suggest a book titled "Word Power Made Easy" by Norman Lewis. This book talks about English words, their origin, etymology, pronunciation and will definitely add many more words to your vocabulary. I found this book to be extremely useful and it helped me learn several new words which I use on a day-to -day basis.

So, if you ever want to have "your way with words", then I would recommend that you give this book a try.

Regards.

"7 Habits of Highly Effective People" = especially the world of abundance section. Also, watch this video, it is the best I have seen on how to react to life = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLqzYDZAqCI Jason Swensen

1

Anthony’s Answer

Hi Maria - tough question! I'm not sure there's a right answer here. But, I'm a huge proponent of learning from history. Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari is very popular right now.

A much easier and very relevant read in today's society is Braving the Wilderness by Brene Brown. It's a shorter one (I finished it about 2 weeks) and very powerful. It touches on topics as it relates to understanding ourselves, how to be vulnerable in our society, and how to approach conversations with people who have different opinions on topics.

I hope this helps! I also recommend checking out anything by Malcolm Gladwell.

Sapiens is a great book indeed! Fikret Atalay

I also recommend Sapiens! Marie MacNichol

1

Shubham’s Answer

There are lots of good books recommended on the page.

I would like to add one which has made a large impact on how I invest (not just money, be it time or anything else) : The Intelligent Investor. The book is written by Benjamin Graham who was Warren Buffett’s mentor. The idea of the book is to focus on long-term wealth building and not short-term gains.
1

Mai’s Answer

I would highly recommend "7 habits of highly effective people". This book includes powerful lessons for you to be success in your life.
1

Francisco’s Answer

There are a lot of great recommendations already. One that I did not see but had a significant effect on how I see things is Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari. You can find more information here: https://www.ynharari.com/book/sapiens/
1

Shirley’s Answer

I recommend Educated by Tara Westover. It's a memoir of her life as someone who grew up in a family that did not believe in public education, and her father constantly prepares for the "end of days". She didn't even get a birth certificate until the age of 9 for fear of the government. Its a fantastic read that depicts how she was able to open her eyes to the world beyond her home and expand her perceptions outside what she was taught her whole life.
1

Gonzalo’s Answer

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

The novel is about the importance of the rule of law, and the complexity of human beings

The Lord Of The Flies also teaches an important life lesson: if you were ever bullied in your past, DO NOT REVEAL IT to a new group of people who don't know that history. If the character in the book named Piggy never told the other kids that he used to be picked on and called Piggy by a different group of kids, he would have avoided all the trouble he experienced. Tom Onusaitis

1

Denise’s Answer

Maria,

I don't have a book title for you, but I do have a suggestion that goes all the way back to when I first started reading.

Even if I was just reading for enjoyment, I always had a dictionary by my side so that if I encountered a word I didn't know I looked it up. This not only helped me to better understand what I was reading but also helped build my vocabulary. Now it is even easier with digital assistants. Just ask Alexa or Siri.

Happy reading!

Denise, great advice. I agree with you about having a digital dictionary (I have an app on my phone) available and just ask Alexa or Siri. Sheila Jordan

1

steve’s Answer

Good to Great was a very eye opening book..... My manager bought this book for all of his managers.... Every week we had a Leadership meeting and talked about chapters in the book.... Every week we read and discussed what we thought it meant and how it would relate to our field..... Very interesting and eye opening.
1

Maria’s Answer

I would suggest "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time"

Here is a quick description from Amazon

A bestselling modern classic—both poignant and funny—about a boy with autism who sets out to solve the murder of a neighbor's dog and discovers unexpected truths about himself and the world.

I loved it because it let me someone else's perspective on the world. Everyone thinks differently, and I think it is important to learn how others think
0

Doris’s Answer

Hi Maria,

Great question and tough to answer because there are some many genres of books and each containing a wealth of information.

One book that I recently read is ‘Women Who Don’t Wait in Line’ by Reshma Saujani. Reshma describes her journey from being a lawyer, to politician to the founder of Girls Who Code.

If you like Science Fiction, check out the ‘Old Man’s War’ series by John Scalzi. The intro hooked me in,
“John Perry did two things on his seventy-fifth birthday. First, he visited his wife’s grave. Then he joined the army.”

Whatever you decide, enjoy the journey.
Happy reading!!
0

Kaitlyn’s Answer

The Last Lecture, a great book and a NY Times best-seller by Randy Pausch who died of pancreatic cancer in 2008. Upon being given a terminal diagnosis, he gave a final lecture entitled "The Last Lecture: Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams" at Carnegie Mellon in 2007. I read the book 5+ years ago but many of the themes have stuck with me ever since. The book itself is short and sweet, however, it is full of inspiration, life lessons, and humor... including when Pausch did push-ups on stage during his lecture. It is definitely a quick read but so so inspiring and will stick with you for years to come!
0

Melina’s Answer

I recommend reading The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom. It is a beautiful story which shares perspectives of different people throughout the life of a man, Eddie. It shows readers how every life and experience is interconnected to one another. The language is easy to comprehend and not so heavy. Let me share a brief summary of this book. Eddie meets five people in heaven after his death, both whom he knows and does not know. All five teaches valuable lesson to Eddie and how pain and holding on to remorse can affect a person's life tremendously. The philosophies shared in this book is real eye opener. I will share some favourite quotes of mine from this book;
- "sometimes when you sacrifice something precious, you're not really losing it. You're just passing it on to someone else."
- "all parents damage their children. It cannot be helped. Youth, like pristine glass, absorbs the prints of its handlers. Some parents smudge, others crack, a few shatter childhoods completely into jagged little pieces, beyond repair."
- "the human spirit knows, deep down, that all lives intersect. That death doesn't just take someone, it misses someone else, and in the small distance between being taken and being missed, lives are changed."

Enjoy reading :)
0

Christopher’s Answer

The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham
0

Josh’s Answer

Leaders Eat Last by Simon Sinek was absolutely transformational for me and my career. Simon sets the standard for leaders using his military experience to explain how great leaders act, speak, think, and, most important, lead.

Most important, Sinek identifies that leaders identified in an org chat. A manager is not a leader simply because they have the role of manager. Why does that matter? You can be a leader!! Leading doesn't mean telling people what to do or having a title, leadership is about making your team better because you are a part of it.

Sir Isaac Newton once said, "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." The role of a leader is to be the shoulders that help those around you to see further.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16144853-leaders-eat-last
0

Akshama’s Answer

I would suggest reading 'How to win friends and influence people' by Dale Carnegie.

If you're from a Computer Science background, do read Cormen's book on Algorithms, it's marvelous.

0

Carol’s Answer

For me all the best life lessons and advice come from the Bible. You can download the UVersion app on your phone and there is a read the Bible in a Year Plan. It breaks down so many chapters a day. Usually only takes 15-20 min of reading a day!

0

Elena’s Answer

Who Moved my Cheese - a very simple book that deal with understanding change and how you can move forward or stay behind
In Drop the Ball, Tiffany Dufu - moving up the career ladder Tiffany recounts how she learned to reevaluate expectations, shrink her to-do list, and meaningfully engage the assistance of others including her husband so that she can free up the time she needed to flourish at work and develop better relationships at home.
The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom - Don Miguel Ruiz & Janet Mills - a guide to freedom from self-limiting beliefs that may cause stress, personal and professional limitation in one's life
0

Sathisha’s Answer

There is no such book as you have to read in lifetime, read all books which you would enjoy and which makes you happy. some say motivation, some say how to become rich, guide to become smart/intelligent or tips to be happy etc etc etc..
ALWAYS ENSURE WHATEVER YOU READ IT SHOULD BENEFITS TO YOU AND SOCITY IN RIGHT MANNER.
0

Krasti’s Answer

There are so many great books answered for this question. Even so that I added some to my personal reading list. While I would echo a lot of books that were recommended, I am suggesting a book that is not as popular but still very worth reading and that is "Why We Sleep" by Matthew Walker. Why We Sleep is a great book that breaks down the importance and benefits from sleeping. While a lot people are aware that getting that sleeping is important, not many people realize why that is the case and how getting insufficient sleep can deteriorate your health. It is important that we educate ourselves on sleep because that is the one thing we need to get enough of in order to function efficiently. Highly recommend this book! (Be warned, some chapters may make you fall asleep, but even the author expresses that THAT is OK because you're benefiting from that sleep)

0

Peter’s Answer

Maria:

I would without hesitation, suggest you read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy by Tolken. It is a wonderful, remarkable book, full of wonder and some very believable fantasy. It is a classic tale of an unassuming hero [itched against a powerful, unrelenting enemy of Man. Over the years I have re-read the three books three times over and never cease to be fascinated and inspired.

Pete Sturtevant, PE

0

Mark’s Answer

Eat That Frog
0

jacqueline’s Answer

Who moved my Cheese written by Spencer Johnson. This book was written in 1998 however the idea and the message is still very relevant today.
It is a motivational business fable, pointing out ways to deal with change in your life at every level. It is a quick and simple read, I bet you will find it powerful and walk away very satisfied.
0

Lizzie’s Answer

There's a lot of nonfiction suggestions here, but I'd like to throw some fiction in the ring.

I'd recommend Pride and Prejudice as well as the Great Gatsby--both are classics that are often taught or required reading in high school. There are some books that influence and are referenced by other forms of media, and these are two of them.
0

Sethu’s Answer

How to fly a horse .. Kevin Ashton
Impulse.. Dr David Lewis
0

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Excellent book if you are interested in Entrepreneurship and starting a business.
Lots of great examples of how people achieved success in their field, overcame adversity and never lost faith in their vision.
In any business there will be setbacks but if you maintain your focus and do not lose sight of your goal you can achieve amazing things!
0

Christopher’s Answer

I would recommend the Enchiridon by Epictetus, an ancient Stoic philosopher. This book is extremely helpful in shaping a personal philosophy that will enable you to grow in virtue (moral excellence). I would highly recommend the ancient classics, because by their very existence they prove that others have found their content to be helpful and worth preserving.

0

Sophia’s Answer

Since you mentioned an interest in Technology, Science and Women’s History, I would recommend the book:
Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race
by Margot Lee Shetterly
0

Robert’s Answer

Unbroken <--- don't watch the movie, just read the book

Zero to One <-- Its a Must if you have any entrepreneurial spirit but I do not care what profession you go into this book completely changed my understanding of the world and its an easy read.
0

Cheryl’s Answer

The power of your subconscious mind its a read you can do out of order of the chapters....great advise.
0

Imran’s Answer

Hi Maria,

One of my favourite is Atomic Habits and here is why -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdZ_q7vAJMk&t=2s

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/atomic-habits-small-changes-transformation-imran-ar/?lipi=urn%3Ali%3Apage%3Ad_flagship3_profile_view_base_post_details%3Bez7UGtY1Rp6jEpr3jdrIrg%3D%3D
0

Scott’s Answer

One of my favorites is called: "Switch: How to change things when change is hard" by Chip and Dan Heath. This book is a collection of case studies and examples where people have used various techniques to persuade and change people's mentality. I have used these methods throughout my career and they have been very effective and useful.
0

Chris’s Answer

I would recommend a couple
Great by Choice by Jim Collins (good career business skills)
Bold by Peter Diamandis (good view of the future businesses)

0

Brittany’s Answer

I 10/10 recommend Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

I read this within the first few months of working full time and a lot of the information in the book is super helpful in navigating your career as well as enhancing your personal life.
0

Preeti’s Answer

One book I recommend everyone to read is The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
0

Cookie’s Answer

Hi Maria,

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran.
It was published in 1923 and has never been out of print!
0

Shantanu’s Answer

A Short History of Nearly Everything
By
Bill Bryson
0

Linda’s Answer

I cannot recommend just one choice there are so much choices.  Just make sure you read you will learn new things everyday that you read

0

Garima’s Answer

Lot of good suggestions on this page.
Few of my favorite of all times is Outliers by Malcom Gladwell and Start with Why by Simon Sinek.
0

Chandra’s Answer

I would definitely recommend you to read "HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE", and awesome book.
0

Pam’s Answer

I recommend The Fred Factor by Mark Sanborn. He talks about how having a passion to go above and beyond in your work along with a great attitude can turn every day tasks into extraordinary feats.
0

Jake’s Answer

Who Moved My Cheese? - By Spencer Johnson

Quick and easy read.
Helps you understand why change and adaptability are so important in both your personal and professional life.
0

Dennis’s Answer

Maria -

A great read for you would be:

"The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People"

You definitely will be able to leverage the information to a Successful career as it covers proven principles of fairness, integrity, honesty and just the overall human factor.

Best of Luck!

0

Alex’s Answer

I would recommend the book how to win friends and influence people. This book was very interesting and provided a lot of insight and led me more into reading and self development.
0

Chris’s Answer

Happiness Advantage - Shawn Achor

Amazing book to understand how you can always take a positive look into any situation. Very relevant for how happiness is a never ending pursuit, and not a one time goal. This can assist to shape your outlook, not only in a workplace, but in everyday life.

0

Jared’s Answer

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

For introverts, it's a great book to help understand yourself better and how to leverage your strengths. Also, you're not alone!

For extroverts, its a great book to help you relate better to introverts and understand each other. It makes things so much easier when both types of people understand the other!
0

Ash’s Answer

“The Unbearable Lightness of Being” (1984), by Milan Kundera.
0

Rebecca’s Answer

I recommend reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

The book's main theme is about finding one's destiny. "When you really want something to happen, the whole universe will conspire so that your wish comes true."
0

Dennis’s Answer

Hello, that is a tough and great question. Every one has their own comfort in reading, so here is what the "experts" would say to read. enjoy

1. To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
0

Carla’s Answer

Wow, so many non-fiction books. Let me give you a little mental break with "The Life of Pi". It's partially about psychology and religion but it's couched in a very cool story of fiction. One of my favorite books.

If I can offer a second book it would be"The Things They Carried " by Tim O'Brien. It's a war story that contains a lot of humorous pop culture and historical references.
0

Joseph’s Answer

1 - Be proactive.
2 - Begin with the end in mind.
3 - First things first.
4 - Think win-win.
5 - Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
6 - Synergize!
7 - Sharpen the Saw; Growth.

Thanks for the concise summary! Tom Onusaitis

0

Andrew’s Answer

For me, lord of the rings.

Andrew recommends the following next steps:

Read LOTR!

Andrew - so funny but true. Truly visually satisfying reading. I love LOTR! However, I could do without the songs in "The Hobbit." Melisa Cameron

0

Heena’s Answer

The Genre can be different, so i cannot think of just one book:

- power of now
- power of subconsciuos mind
- mein kamf
- art of war

the latest i read - Girl, stop apologizing.

0

Veronica’s Answer

Hi Maria,
I would say in the beginning just read. Find a topic that interests you and read up on it. The point is to keep reading as a regular part of life. There are so many books out there, but here are some of my favorites.

Atomic Habits - James Clear
Drive - Daniel Pink
The Miracle Morning - Hal Elrod
0

Danielle’s Answer

Excellent question and have read several recommended on this thread. However, as a female in technology and engineering would also add 'How To Win Friends & Influence People' by Dale Carnegie. Personally I have found communication, both upwards and across an org, extremely helpful throughout my career. Enjoy the books you chosen. Best.
0

Mallory’s Answer

Radical Candor by Kim Scott
0

Brian’s Answer

There are so many great answers! Here are a few:
- How to win friends and influence people
- Talking to Strangers
- Thinking Fast and Slow

0

Roohan’s Answer

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho for sure.
Although I would recommend The Monk who sold his Ferrari by Robin Sharma, which is simple yet powerful.
0