Maria T.

306

6

What is the 1 book you would suggest everyone reads in their lifetime?

I'm making it a personal goal to read for 30 minutes daily again, and am looking for some quality material. Anything related to science, technology, or woman's history are very interesting to me. #college #engineering #science #technology #tech #women-in-tech #reading #women-in-engineering #books

Hi Maria,

You can read:

Emotional Intelligence, by Daniel Goleman

"Everyone knows that high IQ is no guarantee of success, happiness, or virtue, but until Emotional Intelligence, we could only guess why. Daniel Goleman's brilliant report from the frontiers of psychology and neuroscience offers startling new insight into our "two minds"—the rational and the emotional—and how they together shape our destiny.

Through vivid examples, Goleman delineates the five crucial skills of emotional intelligence, and shows how they determine our success in relationships, work, and even our physical well-being. What emerges is an entirely new way to talk about being smart.

The best news is that "emotional literacy" is not fixed early in life. Every parent, every teacher, every business leader, and everyone interested in a more civil society, has a stake in this compelling vision of human possibility".

https://www.amazon.com/Emotional-Intelligence-Matter-More-Than/dp/055338371X

Best!

Last updated Mar 13 '17 at 19:33

I highly recommend "Hidden Figures" by Margot Lee Shetterly. I have not yet read the book but the movie was amazing. I can only imagine the amount of detail and information that will be in the book.

Last updated Mar 25 '17 at 20:36

I would recommend a couple Great by Choice by Jim Collins (good career business skills) Bold by Peter Diamandis (good view of the future businesses)

Last updated Mar 31 '17 at 00:23

I can't offer one single title for reading because there are so many genres. Here are some choices.

Politics: "Shock Doctrine", by Naomi Klein; "Dark Money", by Jane Mayer; "Collapse", by Jared Diamond; "Drift", by Rachel Maddow; "Racing to the Brink: The End Game for Race and Capitalism", by Vernon Turner

Science: "Ever Since Darwin", by Stephen J. Gould; "The Sixth Extinction", by .......; "A Brief History of Time", by Stephen Hawking, "On the Origin of Species", by Charles Darwin.

Novel: "Sophie's Choice", by William Stryon

Enjoy.

Last updated Mar 15 '17 at 19:12

Maria:

I would without hesitation, suggest you read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy by Tolken. It is a wonderful, remarkable book, full of wonder and some very believable fantasy. It is a classic tale of an unassuming hero [itched against a powerful, unrelenting enemy of Man. Over the years I have re-read the three books three times over and never cease to be fascinated and inspired.

Pete Sturtevant, PE

Last updated Mar 14 '17 at 13:51

Schools Add a schools