What is the 1 book you would suggest everyone reads in their lifetime?

30

I'm making it a personal goal to read for 30 minutes daily again, and am looking for some quality material. Anything related to science, technology, or woman's history are very interesting to me. #college #engineering #science #technology #tech #women-in-tech #reading #women-in-engineering #books

30

Daniela’s Answer

2

Hi Maria,

You can read:

Emotional Intelligence, by Daniel Goleman

"Everyone knows that high IQ is no guarantee of success, happiness, or virtue, but until Emotional Intelligence, we could only guess why. Daniel Goleman's brilliant report from the frontiers of psychology and neuroscience offers startling new insight into our "two minds"—the rational and the emotional—and how they together shape our destiny.

Through vivid examples, Goleman delineates the five crucial skills of emotional intelligence, and shows how they determine our success in relationships, work, and even our physical well-being. What emerges is an entirely new way to talk about being smart.

The best news is that "emotional literacy" is not fixed early in life. Every parent, every teacher, every business leader, and everyone interested in a more civil society, has a stake in this compelling vision of human possibility".

https://www.amazon.com/Emotional-Intelligence-Matter-More-Than/dp/055338371X

Best!

I suggest reading The Boiling Frog: How Complacency and Ignorance Created Our Leadership Crisis and What We Can Do About It by Michael Darmody. This book is a true eye opener and after reading, you will see how important it is to not fall victim to complacency. LaTonya M Brown, PMP®,SFC™
2

TV’s Answer

1

Dear Maria,

Looking at all the answers above, I can say that the folks above are much well read and some of the books ranging from self-help to fantasy are definitely the best ones out there.

I would slightly digress from the answers above and suggest a book titled "Word Power Made Easy" by Norman Lewis. This book talks about English words, their origin, etymology, pronunciation and will definitely add many more words to your vocabulary. I found this book to be extremely useful and it helped me learn several new words which I use on a day-to -day basis.

So, if you ever want to have "your way with words", then I would recommend that you give this book a try.

Regards.

1

1
Becoming by Michelle Obama

This is a very moving memoir detailing Michelle's upbringing and her life with Barack Obama. While it was very interesting to read about her life, it also broken down various processes about campaigning that I didn't know before. One chapter brought me to tears, just saying, good read!
1

LaTonya M’s Answer

0
I suggest reading The Boiling Frog: How Complacency and Ignorance Created Our Leadership Crisis and What We Can Do About It by Michael Darmody. This book is a true eye opener and after reading, you will see how important it is to not fall victim to complacency. – LaTonya M Brown, PMP®,SFC™ 1 sec ago
0

Amy (Scheffer)’s Answer

0

Lean In - Women, Work and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg

This book is a must-read for any female profession in the corporate world. Enjoy!

Amy

0

Srinivas’s Answer

0

"No one size fits all" - Understanding individual team member, Maturity levels, skill set, capabilities, saturation levels, priorities and many more aspects. And Bring all the team members to work under one umbrella as a Team.  

0

Andrew’s Answer

0

For me, lord of the rings.

Andrew recommends the following next steps:

• Read LOTR!
Andrew - so funny but true. Truly visually satisfying reading. I love LOTR! However, I could do without the songs in "The Hobbit." Melisa Cameron
0

Doris’s Answer

0
Hi Maria,

Great question and tough to answer because there are some many genres of books and each containing a wealth of information.

One book that I recently read is ‘Women Who Don’t Wait in Line’ by Reshma Saujani. Reshma describes her journey from being a lawyer, to politician to the founder of Girls Who Code.

If you like Science Fiction, check out the ‘Old Man’s War’ series by John Scalzi. The intro hooked me in,
“John Perry did two things on his seventy-fifth birthday. First, he visited his wife’s grave. Then he joined the army.”

Whatever you decide, enjoy the journey.
Happy reading!!
0

Aiden’s Answer

0

I would recommend two "oldies but goodies":

In Search of Excellence by Tom Peters

The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale

0

Vernon’s Answer

0

I can't offer one single title for reading because there are so many genres. Here are some choices.

Politics: "Shock Doctrine", by Naomi Klein; "Dark Money", by Jane Mayer; "Collapse", by Jared Diamond; "Drift", by Rachel Maddow; "Racing to the Brink: The End Game for Race and Capitalism", by Vernon Turner

Science: "Ever Since Darwin", by Stephen J. Gould; "The Sixth Extinction", by .......; "A Brief History of Time", by Stephen Hawking, "On the Origin of Species", by Charles Darwin.

Novel: "Sophie's Choice", by William Stryon

Enjoy.

0

Rory’s Answer

0

If reading "good books" for 30 minutes a day is your goal, and you are looking for role models women to inspire you and you have not already, start with the Bible. Read the story of Queen Esther, Miriam (Moses' sister), Sarah (mother of nations), Ruth, Hannah, Rachel, Leah, Abigail,  whose character growth has inspired generations of strong women.

Rory recommends the following next steps:

• Pick one to start
0

Mohammad’s Answer

0

I would suggest that everybody should read "When Breath Becomes Air." It is a book about a thriving Stanford Neurosurgeon who get's diagnosed with cancer. It teaches you a lot about how best to deal with hardships and how to overcome adversity head on.

0

Christopher’s Answer

0

I would recommend the Enchiridon by Epictetus, an ancient Stoic philosopher. This book is extremely helpful in shaping a personal philosophy that will enable you to grow in virtue (moral excellence). I would highly recommend the ancient classics, because by their very existence they prove that others have found their content to be helpful and worth preserving.

0

Mai’s Answer

0
I would highly recommend "7 habits of highly effective people". This book includes powerful lessons for you to be success in your life.
0

Linda’s Answer

0

I cannot recommend just one choice there are so much choices.  Just make sure you read you will learn new things everyday that you read

0

Rajesh’s Answer

0
There is really no single book that one can recommend reading as a book that is suitable for you will depend on your personal situation, age, stage of life and other factors. In general, considering your young age, books on personal finance, career management and building skills that will help you in your life will be more suitable.

If I do have to suggest one book, it will be Stephen Covey's "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People". You may have heard that winning is a habit, not just luck (if you want to win again and again). The basic habits referred to in this book, if inculcated properly, will help you in all walks of life, including your career. Think of this book as a foundation to whatever you may do later. Remember, it is just my advice so take it what you paid for it! Good luck!!
0

Vipul’s Answer

0

Biographies and autobiographies attract me most when I am in search of inspiration.

I would suggest biographies of Steve Jobs (Steve Jobs: The Exclusive Biography) and Elon Musk for technological inspiration.

I liked "Its not about the bike", a biography of Lance Armstrong who fought cancer and returned back to his career as a cyclist.

Finally for some spiritual inspiration, I would recommend short stories of Swami Vivekananda.

0

Chris’s Answer

0

I would recommend a couple
Great by Choice by Jim Collins (good career business skills)
Bold by Peter Diamandis (good view of the future businesses)

0

Prerna’s Answer

0

Hi,

I must suggest 'The Monk who sold his Ferrari' by Robin Sharma. He wrote two other books on the same series which are good too but this is one just a such a great insight to how we get consumed by our material wants and loose focus on important things in life. Things which get us most joy yet don't cost any money , like self satisfaction , love, contentment.

Another one If i may suggest would be 'The Alchemist'

Hope you like these books and they could guide you in your life and decisions.

0

Elizabeth’s Answer

0

Speed of Trust, rank Covey

Alas, Babylon; by Pat Frank,

0

Melisa’s Answer

0
Hi Maria,

Great question and I love all the answers and recommendations here (which I will use for my own reading list as well)!

You mentioned “Science, Technology or Womens’ History.” I’m currently reading “Rosalind Franklin: The dark lady of DNA” by Brenda Maddox. It’s pretty interesting and amazing what she accomplished in her life, but how at the time she overcame challenges to gain recognition and credit for her discovery.

I also enjoy books by Jon Gordon, www.jongordon.com. Books like “The Positive Dog,” “The Carpenter,” and “The Shark and the Goldfish” can be quick, easy and inspiring reads.

Best wishes for success in your educational and career goals!

Melisa recommends the following next steps:

• Get the book “Rosalind Franklin the Dark Lady of DNA” or check out videos and information regarding her story and life.
  • Check out this list of books about Women in STEM https://global.penguinrandomhouse.com/announcements/theres-a-book-for-that-women-in-stem/
  • Check out www.jongordon.com
  • Become a lifelong learner and reader!
0

Sri Athithya Kruth’s Answer

0

I would suggest the book 'The Happiness Hypothesis' by Jonathan Haidt.

This book talks about various approaches to happiness from different religions and cultures throughout the world's history and relates them to modern positive psychology to produce a great read, which will help you find out what makes up what we perceive to be happiness.

Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Happiness-Hypothesis-Finding-Modern-Ancient/dp/0465028020/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2RYFHXHZUXCWS&keywords=the+happiness+hypothesis+by+jonathan+haidt&qid=1568122839&s=gateway&sprefix=the+happiness+h%2Caps%2C344&sr=8-1

Another great would be 'Grit' by Angela Duckworth. Duckworth talks about some of the most important qualities for success, Grit, which is a secret seen in experts and successful professionals in all spheres of life, and explains how you can cultivate and nurture your Grit.

Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Grit-Passion-Perseverance-Angela-Duckworth/dp/1501111116/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3RHE0EQFOIMRT&keywords=grit+by+angela+duckworth&qid=1568122977&s=gateway&sprefix=Grit+by+An%2Caps%2C347&sr=8-1

Happy reading! Hope this helps!

0

Eunicy’s Answer

0

I would recommend the book "The Leader Who Had No Title" by Robin Sharma. It is a motivational novel  for anyone who wants to improve his/her leadership skills, and it gives a brief insight on the styles of leadership. It also increases your ability to understand the difference between where as a leader do you stand. Pointing out what one essentially needs in a mandate to excel, both personal and professional lives, it is kind of a self-help book that quintessentially talks about achieving success in life.

In The Leader Who Had No Title, you will learn:

• How to work with and influence people like a superstar, regardless of your position

• A method to recognize and then seize opportunities in times of deep change

• The real secrets of intense innovation

• An instant strategy to build a great team and become a "merchant of wow" with your customers

• Hard-hitting tactics to become mentally strong and physically tough enough to lead your field

• Real-world ways to defeat stress, build an unbeatable mind-set, unleash energy, and balance your personal life

Regardless of what you do within your organization and the current circumstances of your life, the single most important fact is that you have the power to show leadership. Wherever you are in your career or life, you should always play to your peak abilities. This book shows you how to claim that staggering power, as well as transform your life—and the world around you—in the process.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Eunicy

0

0

In my opinion, there is no one book because no one has a corner on any niche of knowledge. What I would recommend you do is to create a cycle of categories that would give you a breath of understanding and knowledge and which will stimulate you to think. Offhand I would suggest several categories : 1. History (including good historical fiction such as Herman Wouk's Winds of War and War and Remembrance and historical commentary such as  Upton Sinclaire's King Coal and The Jungle). History give you an excellent window into the currents which define and affect our modern world. 2. Classics such as the Works of Hemmingway, Sinclair Lewis, Steinbeck Faulkner. The character development in great fiction will challenge your blinders and biases and will give you experience in exploring the minds of others, especially those who don't look at life quite the same way as you. 3. Philosophy, to help you form and challenge your worldview 4. How to and other Technical books to broaden your practical and social skill sets.   But most of all set your heart on being  a lifelong learner!  Remember, intellectual capital is the best asset you could bring to any experience. I would look into your local library's e and audio learning options as well. I personally subscribe to several online libraries: they are all free and always have a wealth of topics to choose from. I love listening to audio books when driving , walking or traveling. Good luck !  

0

Peter’s Answer

0

Maria:

I would without hesitation, suggest you read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy by Tolken. It is a wonderful, remarkable book, full of wonder and some very believable fantasy. It is a classic tale of an unassuming hero [itched against a powerful, unrelenting enemy of Man. Over the years I have re-read the three books three times over and never cease to be fascinated and inspired.

Pete Sturtevant, PE

0

Pam’s Answer

0
I recommend The Fred Factor by Mark Sanborn. He talks about how having a passion to go above and beyond in your work along with a great attitude can turn every day tasks into extraordinary feats.
0

Chris’s Answer

0

Happiness Advantage - Shawn Achor

Amazing book to understand how you can always take a positive look into any situation. Very relevant for how happiness is a never ending pursuit, and not a one time goal. This can assist to shape your outlook, not only in a workplace, but in everyday life.

0

Akshama’s Answer

0

I would suggest reading 'How to win friends and influence people' by Dale Carnegie.

If you're from a Computer Science background, do read Cormen's book on Algorithms, it's marvelous.

0

Lisa’s Answer

0
Here are two of my faves, that are simple and easy reading but oh so effective.

1. Who Moved my Cheese - Deals with change
2. Fish! - How to bring energy, passion, and a positive attitude to the job every day
0

Kelsey B.’s Answer

0

I highly recommend "Hidden Figures" by Margot Lee Shetterly. I have not yet read the book but the movie was amazing. I can only imagine the amount of detail and information that will be in the book.

0