What is the 1 book you would suggest everyone reads in their lifetime?

I'm making it a personal goal to read for 30 minutes daily again, and am looking for some quality material. Anything related to science, technology, or woman's history are very interesting to me. #college #engineering #science #technology #tech #women-in-tech #reading #women-in-engineering #books

118

Daniela’s Answer

Hi Maria,

You can read:

Emotional Intelligence, by Daniel Goleman

"Everyone knows that high IQ is no guarantee of success, happiness, or virtue, but until Emotional Intelligence, we could only guess why. Daniel Goleman's brilliant report from the frontiers of psychology and neuroscience offers startling new insight into our "two minds"—the rational and the emotional—and how they together shape our destiny.

Through vivid examples, Goleman delineates the five crucial skills of emotional intelligence, and shows how they determine our success in relationships, work, and even our physical well-being. What emerges is an entirely new way to talk about being smart.

The best news is that "emotional literacy" is not fixed early in life. Every parent, every teacher, every business leader, and everyone interested in a more civil society, has a stake in this compelling vision of human possibility".

https://www.amazon.com/Emotional-Intelligence-Matter-More-Than/dp/055338371X

Best!

I suggest reading The Boiling Frog: How Complacency and Ignorance Created Our Leadership Crisis and What We Can Do About It by Michael Darmody. This book is a true eye opener and after reading, you will see how important it is to not fall victim to complacency. LaTonya M Brown, PMP®,SFC™

I would recommend reading Rich Dad Poor Dad. It has great information about managing finance and is great for improving financial literacy Mohit G.

7

Lisa’s Answer

Here are two of my faves, that are simple and easy reading but oh so effective.

1. Who Moved my Cheese - Deals with change
2. Fish! - How to bring energy, passion, and a positive attitude to the job every day

Lisa, great advice! I too like "Who Moved my Cheese" by Dr. Spencer Johnson. • • https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NBZFWA/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1 Sheila Jordan

4

Lee’s Answer

Without question, The War of Art: Winning the Inner Creative Battle.

As a young person, you'll need to develop an inner dialogue that inspires your creative confidence. The War of Art refers to this as "Resistance".

Creativity and collaborative problem solving is a future skill.

Additionally, it's very hard to know the best way to seek success and how it should be defined for you.

Thankfully we can externally source wisdom and cheat the learning curve by taking time to invest in reflection.

This book will give you the energy and belief of a Tony Robbins event in the comfort of your home.

I wish you more than luck!

Lee recommends the following next steps:

https://www.amazon.com/War-Art-Winning-Creative-Battle/dp/1590710037/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Hi Lee, Gurpreet here from CareerVillage.org! I just wanted to let you know that I removed the second next step as we do not encourage students/professionals to interact outside of the platform for safety reasons. Gurpreet Lally

3

Amy (Scheffer)’s Answer

Lean In - Women, Work and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg

This book is a must-read for any female profession in the corporate world. Enjoy!

Amy

3

Sevana’s Answer

12 Rules for Life by Jordan B. Peterson.
It's categorized as a self help book, but it's a lot more than that. Jordan Peterson is a clinical psychologist, who speaks from a lot of real life experience of dealing with people, he also has a profound understanding of the nature of reality it its most true sense. This book provides valuable insight into how move forward in life and have meaning and motivation, despite all the hardship and tragedy that is the default of our existance.

Another great book (read for pleasure) is The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, a historical novel taking place in 12th century that you will be hooked on so quickly. It has suspense, action, and romance, but it also is a lot of history.

Jordan Peterson's Podcast is also wonderful. It goes through the rules and is pretty inspiring. His whole aim is to encourage people to stand up and Act in the world. We are all responsible for the world we live in. So go do something about it if you don't like it. Robert Walz

2

Mohammad’s Answer

I would suggest that everybody should read "When Breath Becomes Air." It is a book about a thriving Stanford Neurosurgeon who get's diagnosed with cancer. It teaches you a lot about how best to deal with hardships and how to overcome adversity head on.

2

Becoming by Michelle Obama

This is a very moving memoir detailing Michelle's upbringing and her life with Barack Obama. While it was very interesting to read about her life, it also broken down various processes about campaigning that I didn't know before. One chapter brought me to tears, just saying, good read!

2

Anthony’s Answer

Hi Maria - tough question! I'm not sure there's a right answer here. But, I'm a huge proponent of learning from history. Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari is very popular right now.

A much easier and very relevant read in today's society is Braving the Wilderness by Brene Brown. It's a shorter one (I finished it about 2 weeks) and very powerful. It touches on topics as it relates to understanding ourselves, how to be vulnerable in our society, and how to approach conversations with people who have different opinions on topics.

I hope this helps! I also recommend checking out anything by Malcolm Gladwell.

Sapiens is a great book indeed! Fikret Atalay

I also recommend Sapiens! Marie MacNichol

1

Francisco’s Answer

There are a lot of great recommendations already. One that I did not see but had a significant effect on how I see things is Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari. You can find more information here: https://www.ynharari.com/book/sapiens/

1

Harshita’s Answer

The 2 books i would highly recommend you to start reading would be :
1. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
2. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

1

Mai’s Answer

I would highly recommend "7 habits of highly effective people". This book includes powerful lessons for you to be success in your life.

1

Tobias’s Answer

This book isn't directly related to the topics you mentioned, but the most impactful book I've read in my life has been Loving Kindness by Sharon Salzberg. It talks about loving kindness meditation. In my opinion, you don't have to be interested in meditation or the things that go along with it to get value out of this book as it first deals with the act of being kind to yourself, and that's something that nearly everyone can benefit from.

Almost everyone I've encountered in my life is happy to support others and is ready to forgive or see the positives in their actions, but when it comes to their own actions or circumstances they can be harsh on themselves. Be kind to yourself.

1

Denise’s Answer

Maria,

I don't have a book title for you, but I do have a suggestion that goes all the way back to when I first started reading.

Even if I was just reading for enjoyment, I always had a dictionary by my side so that if I encountered a word I didn't know I looked it up. This not only helped me to better understand what I was reading but also helped build my vocabulary. Now it is even easier with digital assistants. Just ask Alexa or Siri.

Happy reading!

Denise, great advice. I agree with you about having a digital dictionary (I have an app on my phone) available and just ask Alexa or Siri. Sheila Jordan

1

Shirley’s Answer

I recommend Educated by Tara Westover. It's a memoir of her life as someone who grew up in a family that did not believe in public education, and her father constantly prepares for the "end of days". She didn't even get a birth certificate until the age of 9 for fear of the government. Its a fantastic read that depicts how she was able to open her eyes to the world beyond her home and expand her perceptions outside what she was taught her whole life.

1

Rajesh’s Answer

There is really no single book that one can recommend reading as a book that is suitable for you will depend on your personal situation, age, stage of life and other factors. In general, considering your young age, books on personal finance, career management and building skills that will help you in your life will be more suitable.

If I do have to suggest one book, it will be Stephen Covey's "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People". You may have heard that winning is a habit, not just luck (if you want to win again and again). The basic habits referred to in this book, if inculcated properly, will help you in all walks of life, including your career. Think of this book as a foundation to whatever you may do later. Remember, it is just my advice so take it what you paid for it! Good luck!!

1

steve’s Answer

Good to Great was a very eye opening book..... My manager bought this book for all of his managers.... Every week we had a Leadership meeting and talked about chapters in the book.... Every week we read and discussed what we thought it meant and how it would relate to our field..... Very interesting and eye opening.

1

Shubham’s Answer

There are lots of good books recommended on the page.

I would like to add one which has made a large impact on how I invest (not just money, be it time or anything else) : The Intelligent Investor. The book is written by Benjamin Graham who was Warren Buffett’s mentor. The idea of the book is to focus on long-term wealth building and not short-term gains.

1

Crystal’s Answer

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey

The book gives you an understanding of how to live a life based with basic principles. Every new habit will will help you grow from the inside out. The teachings that are within the book allow you to apply to everyday life. The make sense in the real world and easy to incorporate in your life. The book breaks things down easily to understand.

1

Glenda’s Answer

Eckhart Tolle - The Power of Now!

1

Jasanpreet Kaur’s Answer

The Secret by Rhonda Byrne - It is an eye opener.

1

Nadine’s Answer

"7 Habits of Highly Effective People" - this book translates to so many different scenarios in personal and professional life. I highly highly suggest everyone read it at least once.

1

Aaron’s Answer

Give and Take: Why Helping Others Drives Our Success by Adam Grant.

1

TV’s Answer

Dear Maria,

Looking at all the answers above, I can say that the folks above are much well read and some of the books ranging from self-help to fantasy are definitely the best ones out there.

I would slightly digress from the answers above and suggest a book titled "Word Power Made Easy" by Norman Lewis. This book talks about English words, their origin, etymology, pronunciation and will definitely add many more words to your vocabulary. I found this book to be extremely useful and it helped me learn several new words which I use on a day-to -day basis.

So, if you ever want to have "your way with words", then I would recommend that you give this book a try.

Regards.

1

Ramendrajit’s Answer

Try and read a book called “ Who Moved my Cheese” . It’s a great book and talks about how to deal with Changes at work and life .

1

Sunil’s Answer

There are a lot of great recommendations already based on your interest. I don't have a book title that suits your interest, but I do have a suggestion that had changed my life forever. I started with this hobby of reading a book for 30 mins daily apart from technical stuff that is part of my day to day job at Cisco Customer experience organisation. These books varies from science, arts, history etc. Then one day got 'Rich Dad Poor Dad' by Robert Kiyosaki, with not much background on finance, I started with hesitation but this was one of the best read I would recommend.

This has had a practical impact on my thoughts about money. I realised the value of investing, compounding. Even if you dont know much about money, all finance jargon, investment; you should still read this book to start. I would like to give this advice to all the young grads passing out of college. Mantra is to start early.

Hope the advice was useful... Happy investing..

Regards
Sunil

0

Brittany’s Answer

I 10/10 recommend Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

I read this within the first few months of working full time and a lot of the information in the book is super helpful in navigating your career as well as enhancing your personal life.

0

Sam’s Answer

While I'm not going to say it's the ONE book I'd read over all others, How to Win Friends and Influence People is a book very well worth reading, especially for any young person who isn't comfortable or confident when conversing with others.

When I graduated from high school, I was an awkward kid and I wasn't yet fully comfortable in my own skin. I didn't have much experience in how to interact with others. I finally saw this book at a book store and bought it. I found its advice to be really really useful in that respect. It gives a lot of simple and easy to execute tips on - of course - how to win friends and influence people.

Some examples:
- practice at remembering peoples' names, and use their names when talking to them
- look people in the eyes when you speak with them, and don't be afraid to smile
- don't just pretend to be interested in someone; be genuinely interested
- talk or ask about the other person or things they are interested in (because people generally like to talk about themselves)

It contains just a lot of good advice, and I gained confidence in myself just by reading it.

0

Nagendra’s Answer

Interesting question. I would recommend a book for you and you can look for this and start reading this. I would also like to justify why i recommend this for you.

This book is written in one of the oldest language in the world "Tamil" that has rich tradition.

The book name is "Tirukural" and it is translated in to English. Infact this book holds the record of having the second highest translation in to other langauges next to the holy BooK "Bible" . So it is really wonder to read it as it shows the importance of it. Since christains are majority in the world - bible being converted in to many languages make sense . But this book being converted into other langauges makes yourself to think that it should have felt worth by the translators who has read it.

This book has covered all the things that is needed for a life. Each aneverything for a happy and succesfull life.

0

Stephen’s Answer

I read a short book called "The Idiot as Manager" - with the premise that someone who is totally unqualified in the job is promoted to lead the team.

It's kind of a "fake it 'til you make it" story, but there are a lot of important lessons for people who transition into management and how they struggle to do the right thing because they become too autocratic. It works in a lot of other situations in life too.

For example - when asked by a team player, "what should I do next"? The idiot manager asks "what do you recommend" instead of taking over with their own ideas - which would stifle the individual. The idiot manager accidentally empowered the team player, who was expecting the boss to have the answer and take the problem away from them.

Sorry I don't remember details about the publisher and author.

0

Susannah’s Answer

If you're interested in technology/Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence a great book is
Hello World: How to be Human in the Age of the Machine by Hannah Fry.

It goes through how technology is impacting lots of different industries in a really interesting, funny and easy to read way!

0

Pradip’s Answer

The story of my experiments with truth: An Autobiography of Gandhi

I learned from Gandhi that no matter what you never sacrifice the basic principles of your life. Gandhi was once on his deathbed and the doctor advised him that he will die if he doesn’t drink food. He refused. He was ready to die along with his principles.

Long Walk to Freedom
This book is about the story of a shy man who fought with the British. Fought from Apartheid at all costs at all times. He ignored his family for the nation. Ignored his son’s growing years. Ignored everything to free his country. He went to jail for a term of 27 years and was ready to fight until he dies. From a boy of a very small village who was shy and only dreamt of eating corn and plowing his field to the First President of South Africa.

The power of your Subconscious Mind.
Things I have learned by reading this book and here are they:-
● Faith is the only universal healing principal operating through everybody.
● You receive answers to prayer because of mental acceptance about what you pray.
● Your Subconscious Mind has the answer to all your problems.
● Don’t compel your Subconscious Mind to accept your idea by will-power.
● The world you live in is Determined by what goes in your mind.
● If prayer is answered, it is answered scientifically.

The 7 habits of highly effective people.
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, author Stephen R. Covey presents a holistic, integrated, principle-centered approach for solving personal and professional problems. With penetrating insights and pointed anecdotes, Covey reveals a step-by-step pathway for living with fairness, integrity, service, and human dignity -- principles that give us the security to adapt to change and the wisdom and power to take advantage of the opportunities that change creates.

Rich dad Poor dad.
I have learned many things and wanna share them with you. So here are some points:-
● In today’s fast-changing world, it’s not much what you know anymore that counts, because often what you know is old. It is how fast you learn.
● One dad had a habit of saying, “I can’t afford it”. The other dad forbade those words to be used.
● Today, I often meet people who are too busy to take care of their Wealth. And there are people too busy to take care of their Health. The cause is the same. They’re busy, and they stay busy as a way of avoiding something they do not want to face.
● Failure inspires winners. And failure defeats loser. It is the bigger secret of winners. It's the secret that losers do not know. The greatest secret of a winner is that failure inspires winning, thus they’re not afraid of losing.
● I have learned that the more I teach those who want to learn, the more I learn.
● Once a person stops searching for information and self-knowledge, ignorance sets in.
● I have learned that without a strong reason or purpose anything in life is hard.
● Education is more valuable than money in the long run.
● Often in the real world, it's not the smart who get ahead, but the bold.
● Unfortunately for many people school is the end, not the beginning.

0

Maria’s Answer

I would suggest "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time"

Here is a quick description from Amazon

A bestselling modern classic—both poignant and funny—about a boy with autism who sets out to solve the murder of a neighbor's dog and discovers unexpected truths about himself and the world.

I loved it because it let me someone else's perspective on the world. Everyone thinks differently, and I think it is important to learn how others think

0

Vernon’s Answer

I can't offer one single title for reading because there are so many genres. Here are some choices.

Politics: "Shock Doctrine", by Naomi Klein; "Dark Money", by Jane Mayer; "Collapse", by Jared Diamond; "Drift", by Rachel Maddow; "Racing to the Brink: The End Game for Race and Capitalism", by Vernon Turner

Science: "Ever Since Darwin", by Stephen J. Gould; "The Sixth Extinction", by .......; "A Brief History of Time", by Stephen Hawking, "On the Origin of Species", by Charles Darwin.

Novel: "Sophie's Choice", by William Stryon

Enjoy.

0

Rory’s Answer

If reading "good books" for 30 minutes a day is your goal, and you are looking for role models women to inspire you and you have not already, start with the Bible. Read the story of Queen Esther, Miriam (Moses' sister), Sarah (mother of nations), Ruth, Hannah, Rachel, Leah, Abigail,  whose character growth has inspired generations of strong women.

Rory recommends the following next steps:

Pick one to start

0

Elena’s Answer

Who Moved my Cheese - a very simple book that deal with understanding change and how you can move forward or stay behind
In Drop the Ball, Tiffany Dufu - moving up the career ladder Tiffany recounts how she learned to reevaluate expectations, shrink her to-do list, and meaningfully engage the assistance of others including her husband so that she can free up the time she needed to flourish at work and develop better relationships at home.
The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom - Don Miguel Ruiz & Janet Mills - a guide to freedom from self-limiting beliefs that may cause stress, personal and professional limitation in one's life

0

Linda’s Answer

There are so many great books out there to read. It is always an interesting question to ask leaders or speakers. I love reading auto biographies/ biographies on different people. You learn so much on their leadership style and how their personal setbacks helped make them succeed. I would set a goal of 12 biographies to read a year. I have read Madame Curie, Abraham Lincoln, Sam Walton, Steve Jobs, Walt Disney, John Kennedy, Hillary Clinton, Rosa Parks, Eleanor Roosevelt, Henry Ford, Martin Luther King Jr, to name a few. I agree with some of the other professionals posted, Stephen Covey's "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People". One of my favorites is "Hope for the Flowers" by Trina Paulus. Keep reading and dreaming!

0

Robert’s Answer

Unbroken <--- don't watch the movie, just read the book

Zero to One <-- Its a Must if you have any entrepreneurial spirit but I do not care what profession you go into this book completely changed my understanding of the world and its an easy read.

0

Sathisha’s Answer

There is no such book as you have to read in lifetime, read all books which you would enjoy and which makes you happy. some say motivation, some say how to become rich, guide to become smart/intelligent or tips to be happy etc etc etc..
ALWAYS ENSURE WHATEVER YOU READ IT SHOULD BENEFITS TO YOU AND SOCITY IN RIGHT MANNER.

0

Pam’s Answer

I recommend The Fred Factor by Mark Sanborn. He talks about how having a passion to go above and beyond in your work along with a great attitude can turn every day tasks into extraordinary feats.

0

Alex’s Answer

I would recommend the book how to win friends and influence people. This book was very interesting and provided a lot of insight and led me more into reading and self development.

0

Chris’s Answer

I would recommend a couple
Great by Choice by Jim Collins (good career business skills)
Bold by Peter Diamandis (good view of the future businesses)

0

Peter’s Answer

Maria:

I would without hesitation, suggest you read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy by Tolken. It is a wonderful, remarkable book, full of wonder and some very believable fantasy. It is a classic tale of an unassuming hero [itched against a powerful, unrelenting enemy of Man. Over the years I have re-read the three books three times over and never cease to be fascinated and inspired.

Pete Sturtevant, PE

0

Prerna’s Answer

Hi,

I must suggest 'The Monk who sold his Ferrari' by Robin Sharma. He wrote two other books on the same series which are good too but this is one just a such a great insight to how we get consumed by our material wants and loose focus on important things in life. Things which get us most joy yet don't cost any money , like self satisfaction , love, contentment.

Another one If i may suggest would be 'The Alchemist'

Hope you like these books and they could guide you in your life and decisions.

0

Andrew’s Answer

For me, lord of the rings.

Andrew recommends the following next steps:

Read LOTR!

Andrew - so funny but true. Truly visually satisfying reading. I love LOTR! However, I could do without the songs in "The Hobbit." Melisa Cameron

0

Danielle’s Answer

Excellent question and have read several recommended on this thread. However, as a female in technology and engineering would also add 'How To Win Friends & Influence People' by Dale Carnegie. Personally I have found communication, both upwards and across an org, extremely helpful throughout my career. Enjoy the books you chosen. Best.

0

Vipul’s Answer

Biographies and autobiographies attract me most when I am in search of inspiration.

I would suggest biographies of Steve Jobs (Steve Jobs: The Exclusive Biography) and Elon Musk for technological inspiration.

I liked "Its not about the bike", a biography of Lance Armstrong who fought cancer and returned back to his career as a cyclist.

Finally for some spiritual inspiration, I would recommend short stories of Swami Vivekananda.

I agree that biographies and autobiographies are so amazing! A MUST in this category is Becoming by Michelle Obama!!!!! Beth Kern

0

Christopher’s Answer

The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham

0

Bhavya Raju’s Answer

Lots of great answers - I will add Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman to this list!

0

Mark’s Answer

Eat That Frog

0

Cookie’s Answer

Hi Maria,

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran.
It was published in 1923 and has never been out of print!

0

Akshama’s Answer

I would suggest reading 'How to win friends and influence people' by Dale Carnegie.

If you're from a Computer Science background, do read Cormen's book on Algorithms, it's marvelous.

0

Allen’s Answer

Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. This will ensure your financial future

0

Rebecca’s Answer

I recommend reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

The book's main theme is about finding one's destiny. "When you really want something to happen, the whole universe will conspire so that your wish comes true."

0

Kaitlyn’s Answer

I have two!
1) The Alchemist
2) The five people you meet in heaven

Both have lessons attached and are really great reads. Enjoy!

0

Shantanu’s Answer

A Short History of Nearly Everything
By
Bill Bryson

0

Preeti’s Answer

One book I recommend everyone to read is The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

0

Mallory’s Answer

Radical Candor by Kim Scott

0

Sri Athithya Kruth’s Answer

I would suggest the book 'The Happiness Hypothesis' by Jonathan Haidt.

This book talks about various approaches to happiness from different religions and cultures throughout the world's history and relates them to modern positive psychology to produce a great read, which will help you find out what makes up what we perceive to be happiness.

Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Happiness-Hypothesis-Finding-Modern-Ancient/dp/0465028020/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2RYFHXHZUXCWS&keywords=the+happiness+hypothesis+by+jonathan+haidt&qid=1568122839&s=gateway&sprefix=the+happiness+h%2Caps%2C344&sr=8-1

Another great would be 'Grit' by Angela Duckworth. Duckworth talks about some of the most important qualities for success, Grit, which is a secret seen in experts and successful professionals in all spheres of life, and explains how you can cultivate and nurture your Grit.

Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Grit-Passion-Perseverance-Angela-Duckworth/dp/1501111116/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3RHE0EQFOIMRT&keywords=grit+by+angela+duckworth&qid=1568122977&s=gateway&sprefix=Grit+by+An%2Caps%2C347&sr=8-1

Happy reading! Hope this helps!

0

Jared’s Answer

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

For introverts, it's a great book to help understand yourself better and how to leverage your strengths. Also, you're not alone!

For extroverts, its a great book to help you relate better to introverts and understand each other. It makes things so much easier when both types of people understand the other!

0

Katherine’s Answer

I'm not sure if this book has been said yet, but I'd highly recommend The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan. It is a wonderful compilation of essays and stories and its description reads, "An affecting and hope-filled posthumous collection of essays and stories from the talented young Yale graduate whose title essay captured the world’s attention in 2012 and turned her into an icon for her generation."

Enjoy!

0

Aiden’s Answer

I would recommend two "oldies but goodies":

In Search of Excellence by Tom Peters

The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale

0

Carol’s Answer

For me all the best life lessons and advice come from the Bible. You can download the UVersion app on your phone and there is a read the Bible in a Year Plan. It breaks down so many chapters a day. Usually only takes 15-20 min of reading a day!

0

Chris’s Answer

Happiness Advantage - Shawn Achor

Amazing book to understand how you can always take a positive look into any situation. Very relevant for how happiness is a never ending pursuit, and not a one time goal. This can assist to shape your outlook, not only in a workplace, but in everyday life.

0

Kaitlyn’s Answer

The Last Lecture, a great book and a NY Times best-seller by Randy Pausch who died of pancreatic cancer in 2008. Upon being given a terminal diagnosis, he gave a final lecture entitled "The Last Lecture: Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams" at Carnegie Mellon in 2007. I read the book 5+ years ago but many of the themes have stuck with me ever since. The book itself is short and sweet, however, it is full of inspiration, life lessons, and humor... including when Pausch did push-ups on stage during his lecture. It is definitely a quick read but so so inspiring and will stick with you for years to come!

0

Gonzalo’s Answer

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

The novel is about the importance of the rule of law, and the complexity of human beings

0

Chandra’s Answer

I would definitely recommend you to read "HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE", and awesome book.

0

Manasa’s Answer

Hi Maria!! I think you'd really like The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks! It's an incredible book and it aligns well with your interests in technology an d women's history. I read it in high school and it really influenced my perspective on medicine and women's health.

0

Josh’s Answer

Leaders Eat Last by Simon Sinek was absolutely transformational for me and my career. Simon sets the standard for leaders using his military experience to explain how great leaders act, speak, think, and, most important, lead.

Most important, Sinek identifies that leaders identified in an org chat. A manager is not a leader simply because they have the role of manager. Why does that matter? You can be a leader!! Leading doesn't mean telling people what to do or having a title, leadership is about making your team better because you are a part of it.

Sir Isaac Newton once said, "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." The role of a leader is to be the shoulders that help those around you to see further.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16144853-leaders-eat-last

0

Gerardo’s Answer

Both Dave Ramsey show and the book. This is fantastic way to set a great financial success path and keeping track of what you are spending, how you spending and the most important to become a millionaire when you are retired!! Youtube video RT shows helped me get an understanding of what to do when in debt and how to balance a successful financial path in our lives.

0

Julian’s Answer

Hey Maria,

I would recommend “Becoming” by Michelle Obama it a very solid memoir by one of the strongest and powerful women in the world. This book is a 10/10 for me.

0

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Excellent book if you are interested in Entrepreneurship and starting a business.
Lots of great examples of how people achieved success in their field, overcame adversity and never lost faith in their vision.
In any business there will be setbacks but if you maintain your focus and do not lose sight of your goal you can achieve amazing things!

0

Mark’s Answer

I would highly recommend Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck. This is the latest edition of the original book, Growth Mindset that Carol authored. The book goes deep into the differences of having a "fixed mindset" which can be very dangerous, versus a "growth mindset" which can be very beneficial.

The book really hits home because it speaks to how these different mindsets work in both your personal and professional life. The principles can be applied to any aspect of your life from parenting all the way to having a successful career. It is written in a way that any reader can relate to with full understanding. More importantly, it sets you up to be able to take immediate action fr yourself across the board. It is even worth "re-reading" from time to time as a reminder and reference point.

A "Growth Mindset" is truly the only way to be successful and progressive in this world, whereas a "fixed mindset" will take away your ability to live your best life for sure.

Mark recommends the following next steps:

Order the book as a hard copy or digital print next time you make a book purchase
Apply the principles to your life ASAP

0

Heena’s Answer

The Genre can be different, so i cannot think of just one book:

- power of now
- power of subconsciuos mind
- mein kamf
- art of war

the latest i read - Girl, stop apologizing.

0

Srinivas’s Answer

"No one size fits all" - Understanding individual team member, Maturity levels, skill set, capabilities, saturation levels, priorities and many more aspects. And Bring all the team members to work under one umbrella as a Team.  

0

nitin’s Answer

Hello Maria,

Personal Finance is basic financial education/knowledge which is a must for everyone must have before investing. A thorough knowledge on personal finance is a must for everyone, by the time they get their first salary or atleast before starting to invest.

"Rich Dad Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki

Robert Kiyosaki, has authored a series of books on Personal Finance. Refer the internet search for a complete list of all books.

0

Jamie’s Answer

Chocolate Conversation by Rose Fass

I had the opportunity to attend a live session with Rose Fass and it was amazing. It really opens your eyes not just in business, but in your everyday life.

0

Carla’s Answer

Wow, so many non-fiction books. Let me give you a little mental break with "The Life of Pi". It's partially about psychology and religion but it's couched in a very cool story of fiction. One of my favorite books.

If I can offer a second book it would be"The Things They Carried " by Tim O'Brien. It's a war story that contains a lot of humorous pop culture and historical references.

0

Ash’s Answer

“The Unbearable Lightness of Being” (1984), by Milan Kundera.

0

Avinash’s Answer

"Eat that Frog" by Brian Tracy.
Short yet powerful to start with.

0

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

0

Absar Ul’s Answer

Hi Maria,

One of the books that I can suggest you is " Thinking Fast and slow " by Daniel Kahneman.

It talks about the cognitive study of human brain. -- that being from science.

Coming up to some Women empowerment book : I would suggest to go for "Becoming " by Michael Obama.

Hope this helps:)

Happy Reading <3

0

Veronica’s Answer

Hi Maria,
I would say in the beginning just read. Find a topic that interests you and read up on it. The point is to keep reading as a regular part of life. There are so many books out there, but here are some of my favorites.

Atomic Habits - James Clear
Drive - Daniel Pink
The Miracle Morning - Hal Elrod

0

Uday Rao’s Answer

"Everyone has a story"
by Savi Sharma

"This is not your story"
by Savi Sharma

Must read these books in life time.....

0

Dennis’s Answer

Hello, that is a tough and great question. Every one has their own comfort in reading, so here is what the "experts" would say to read. enjoy

1. To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

0

Brian’s Answer

There are so many great answers! Here are a few:
- How to win friends and influence people
- Talking to Strangers
- Thinking Fast and Slow

0

Debbie’s Answer

There are two books that I have come back to over and over throughout my career.

The first is called "On Writing Well" by William Zinnser. Specifically the chapter on Clutter. The higher you progress in your career, the more efficient you need to be at communicating. This chapter helped me understand what it takes to develop that skill.

The second is called the "Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg, specifically the story he relates about the Alcoa company and the concept of finding a keystone habit and leveraging it to drive change.

0

Jake’s Answer

Who Moved My Cheese? - By Spencer Johnson

Quick and easy read.
Helps you understand why change and adaptability are so important in both your personal and professional life.

0

Ryan’s Answer

I'd recommend Principles by Ray Dalio.

0

Elizabeth’s Answer

Speed of Trust, rank Covey

Alas, Babylon; by Pat Frank,