How to get your name out there as a beginner lawyer ?

3
Pros
3
0

Jenna’s Answer

I would recommend working in a law firm or for another attorney for at least a few years before you go out on your own, so that you have some practical experience, in handling clients, billing, staffing, and running a practice, as well as actually practicing in the area of law. I would also recommend making connections and networking while you are working for another attorney, so you have a network that can refer you business when you go out on your own.

When I started my own practice, I worked with a digital marketer on my website and things like content creation. I also went to every networking meeting I could find to meet people and to practice networking. There are also local lawyer networking events, in your practice area as well as the bar. As I started meeting more people, I got more and better referrals, and also started getting some business from my website. You may be able to advertise in your state as well, but you have to obey the bar rules on that. There are also books, websites and podcasts that talk about client generation for attorneys, so you can use those resources as well.

The best thing to do is to make a lot of connections and to build your network, and when you're ready to go out on your own, you will have people to talk to about generating business for your practice. The first six months or so were tough, but three years later, I'm as busy as I want to be. Good luck!
1
Pros
1
0

mitch’s Answer

I strongly recommend you get and read and re-read the book "How to Start and Build a Law Practice," by Jay Foonberg. He answers many of the questions you will have, including ways to get your name out there.
Be aware that if you start out on your own, it is likely that divorce law and perhaps criminal defense will be your bread and butter. It just happens that those kind of clients often can't afford a big firm to represent the. Be sure to get a retainer fee up front that is large enough to cover several hours of work or, if possible, to cover what the entire matter may cost.
Ask lots of questions of other lawyers. Most are flattered to respond. Set yourself up to take credit cards right away.
0

In addition to the previous answer which has some great advice, one of the best things you can do to get your name out there is do great work! Be very conscientious, detail-oriented, and responsive. If you do great work, people will talk and recommend you by word of mouth.
0