How do you keep your career from becoming your entire life?

While I want to be passionate about and focused on my career, I want to be able to balance work and family. I think there is definitely a way to have the best of both worlds, but I would enjoy some input on how to best go about accomplishing that. #doctor #medicine #surgery #surgeon #surgeons

4

Sabyasachi’s Answer

Well keeping a work life balance this days is very important. There are several information you will find in internet.

Go through https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/235427 this link you will find some guidelines.

But just to keep it short:

Value your relationship.
Give time to yourself.
Chase your dream.
Eat healthy.
Sleep enough.
Do regular exercise.

Hope this will help you.

0

Dumi’s Answer

I agree with Sabyasachi Banerjee Sr, but i would add learn as much as you can about what it is you think you want to do. Try to shadow or internship if you can. This will let you know some of the good and the bad but this will also allow you to set good expectations. After you do that you can see how much life balance you would like. This process takes time but it is worth it in the long run.

Do not to change your mind because of the parts you don't like. Change your mind if what it is you want doesn't match with what you learn.

0

Hwal’s Answer

Ally,

I wonder if you've started your college career yet since the question was posted a while ago. To help you with the work like balance question, I'll add that it helps to develop a balance in your everyday life early on. For example, try balancing the academic commitments with social and family commitments so that you don't lose yourself in the busy life as a college student. Make time for family, friends, or hobbies so that your career as a college student doesn't become your entire life, just as you mentioned in your question. I hope this helps.

Hwal

0

Marybeth’s Answer

Hi Ally!

If you join the medical field it is difficult in that your heart goes into what you do. Working with patients and families is very rewarding and also very stressful as they often face significant illness. I have found it is difficult to leave their stories and the challenges they face behind at the end of the day.

My advice: Give your all each day as a patient advocate, protector, caregiver and educator. When you leave for the day, know that you have done your very best for that patient and their family during the time you spent with them. No one could ask for more. Then take time to enjoy your family and loved ones and be grateful that you are in a profession where you can make a difference each and every day.

0