Are the golden days of pharmacy really over?

Asked Astoria, Oregon

I've been interested in becoming a pharmacist for some time now, mostly based on my interest on Chemistry and help/communicating with others. However, there is a stigma forming about this career-- about how its "golden days" are over and it's not worth the effort, How accurate is this? #pharmacy #pharmacists #retail-pharmacy

Mary’s Answer

Updated Indianapolis, Indiana

I cannot imagine not needing expertise on medications in the future... the role of pharmacists may continue to change and adjust, but as long as there are illnesses, there will be medicines developed to treat and sometimes cure these diseases. Communication between pharmacist, nurse, physician and patient is very important and the pharmacist is an important member of the health care team both inpatient and outpatient. There are many opportunities in pharmacy besides retail or hospital. Volunteer or find a job that will expose you to pharmacy. If you are determined and willing to work hard, you can make a difference in the lives of many people. Good Luck!

Bianca’s Answer

Hi Israt, Pharmacy is a fulfilling career. Yes, the market is saturated right now and after graduation it will take at least 6 months or more before landing a job but so far as there are people sick with illness and more medications being introduced into the market,there will always be the need for more pharmacists. Good luck! I