What does someone in pharmaceuticals do on a daily basis?

Asked San Mateo, California

I'm interested in pursuing a career in pharmaceuticals, but I'm not sure what their day-to-day tasks look like. #pharmacy #pharmacists #pharmaceuticals #pharmaceutical-industry #clinical-pharmacy #retail-pharmacy

andy’s Answer

Updated Forest Park, Georgia

With a major in pharmaceuticals, you either teach or do pharmaceutical research. Focus on genetic engineering as well as how to get a grant.

Hi Andy, Thank you so much for answering Katia's question! I just wanted to let you know that I edited your answer to remove the phone number that you provided. We definitely want you to help Katia as best you can, but we refrain from sharing personal info on our website for the safety of everyone. Thank you so much for understanding. Feel free to email me at david(at)career village.org if you have any questions or concerns. Best, David
Thank you for your answer!

May’s Answer

It depends. Pharmaceuticals is a really broad terms. There is industry, research, and then there is pharmacy. Are you interested in becoming a pharmacist or looking for something on the industry side, such as research, sales, developing medications/skin care/nutritional supplements? I can help you with pharmacy questions because I'm a pharmacist.

There are many fields/areas for pharmacists to work... My experiences have been with hospitals and or the business side of pharmacy. Here are some examples of my day-to-day: I lead and teach teammates on a daily basis, I have coaching sessions, I answers a lot of emails, I do my own research into pharmacy questions that doctors and nurses submit, I write papers/emails, I attend meetings/conferences...and most of all, I read. I read a lot on a daily basis. I hope this helps.

Good luck.

May recommends the following next steps:

• Narrow your scope, if you can.

Updated Mine Hill Township, New Jersey

There are numerous careers in the pharmaceuticals industry. From marketing and finance to highly technical STEM careers