How to approach companies for internships and entry-level jobs

I am currently doing my Masters in Development Studies and are eagerly looking for internships research developmentstudies graduate women NGO

3

Sean’s Answer

Hi Nokwanda -
Great question! My advice on seeking an internship would be to make the most use of any career fairs that may be available at your school to seek employers offering internships and use the opportunity to connect in real-time. Keep an updated resume of your school accomplishments and any prior work experience and be sure to articulate why you are seeking the internship and how you can benefit the employer (e.g. employers often want to offer internships to someone interested in being a future employee!). After making the initial connection, be sure to follow-up and continue to seek any opportunity to expand your network over time.

Hope this helps.
0

Atria’s Answer

Dear Nokwanda, very useful question! I would just tell you my experience as I do not feel the agency to provide advice in a very much different context and circumstances than those I experienced myself.
When I finished my development studies I started a series of voluntary experiences worlwide, moving from Europe to Africa and Latin America. Obviously I was not getting paid, but mostly all organisations provided housing and food meanwhile I worked for them. After a while I started looking for internships in bilateral agencies or International Organisations and INGO. It seemed of all them valued the fact that I had some field experiences and I had been moving around different countries and cultures. It ease the path.
Hope is helpful anyhow and that you find what you are looking for!
0

Yumi’s Answer

Another option is to use LinkedIn. First research the companies that you would be interested in doing internship with. Then, you can search people who work at the companies and you can send a message to introduce yourself, request to connect and ask if the person can connect you to the right person (HR, etc) to discuss your internship.
0

Raya’s Answer

The very best way is to find the people who are likely to be hiring at those companies and approach them directly. It will work better if you are able to connect at some event - a meetup or a talk. At the very least, do your homework and read about the person you are approaching so you can explain why you picked them and build a connection based on their profeesional interests.
0