Do you need internship experience in order to get hired at a marketing firm after graduation?

4

I am a junior in college and thinking about possible jobs I will be applying for after graduation. A lot of my peers are scrambling to find internships in their degree fields, and I was just wondering if it's possible to get hired at a good firm without an internship. #business-management #marketing-and-advertising #social-media-marketing #marketing-communications #marketing-strategy #online-marketing

4

Stephanie’s Answer

0

For marketing agencies specifically, a traditional is less important as having great evidence that you understand the different levers you can pull to help brands create an identity, understand and message to their customers, foster and grow their businesses, etc. Have you had a customer service job? Had to learn about human psychology by coaching or mentoring? Do you have a well followed social media account or make youtube videos about a topic you care about? Did you organize any events on campus where you were able to use digital or traditional tactics to get the word out? How do you use the internet to get the information you need? What brands do you care about the most and why? If you can answer yes to a couple of these questions and/or have some hard skills like basic web design, managing a Wordpress site, project or event management, etc you might be okay without a traditional internship.

As long as you're able to showcase to future employers that you have unique skills and experiences you've acquired by doing (whether on a job, via extracurricular experience, entrepreneurship, etc) you will have a chance to set yourself apart from the other candidates, whether or not you have a traditional internship. You can always volunteer helping other students with their brand strategies, web page building/design, social media accounts too to gain some real world experience without having to get a formal internship. best of luck!

0

Robert’s Answer

0
I agree with Julie who also responded that, while it's not necessary, it is very beneficial. An internship will give you specific experience and skills that will help you stand out from others who are also vying for the same opening as well as give you knowledge of areas within marketing that are of interest and give you the best chance for success. That said, having a previous intership is not a prerequisite. Think about what skills and acumens you have that a prospective employer can leverage within their business. Most all companies want young, eager, bright, and hard-working professionals as part of their team so make sure to convey that through your past experiences.
0

Julie’s Answer

0
I don't think that it is entirely necessary, but I do think that it is helpful and eye opening. You don't really have a good sense of what it's like to work at a company until you have been in the company day to day. I think that it is important to intern to get an understanding of how the company works, and also to be sure that this is really the field you want to be in. I did not intern for my current company, yet I've been here almost 13 years!
0

0
Practical experience is a major consideration when hiring at any firm. For many roles, a college education is a prerequisite - real world experience is a great way to distinguish yourself from other applicants. This shows companies that your interest in the field extends beyond the academic, and demonstrates your commitment toward a particular career path. I strongly recommend internships or shadowing; while it's possible to land a job without it, you are much more likely to end up on the short list with this experience.
0