Accounting and Marketing

I'm planning to go for double majors in Accounting and Marketing. What are your thoughts about it and is it even useful? marketing accounting business

9

Aaron’s Answer

I agree strongly with the previous answers and some background as to why:
I graduated with a bachelor's in Management Information Systems (MIS) from Sam Houston State University (SHSU) the December of 2004.
The reason why I graduated with a MIS degree and not one in accounting is because I was failing accounting classes and switched my major to MIS to graduate on time.
If the school you choose is like SHSU, then the business program will have a core of classes that every business major has to complete that includes subjects such as accounting and marketing.
Since I had most of the business core knocked out, it was easy for me to switch majors and graduate on time.
The reason why I bring up why I switched majors is to illustrate the point that there is usually a lot of overlap and a double major in two business majors would still be a lot of work, but less work than say, accounting and computer science.
0

Ramzi’s Answer

Whilst both accounting and marketing are interested topics and related both to business expertise, from a technical perpective, they are 2 different areas. Accounting will help you understand how Businesses present their financial reporting and reflect fairly their historical transactions with the objective to support users of their financial statements such as investors to build a fair view on the entity’s financial position and performance as well as to their cash-flows and take investment decisions. You can also take your accounting expertise to the next level and obtain an international qualification in accounting and audit such as a Chartered Accountant/CA or CPA, ACCA, ACA qualifications.

Marketing is more about helping businesses understand the market/consumer preferences and to sell their products and any other offerings.

Combining both expertise can help but in my view it is better to focus on these one by one as the CPA required full attention and also covers business areas that can help you quickly learn marketing related matters.
0

Kristina’s Answer

Hi. Congratulations in pursuing a business education; there are so many opportunities in the field. As others have stated, a double major may not be required if you have an idea of what career you would like to pursue. With that being said, studying both accounting and marketing would help you build a variety of skills that will be helpful in either career path. Additionally, having the double major would leave your options more open regarding which careers you can enter after graduation. Therefore if the double major is something you are passionate about, I think that is great. If it becomes too overwhelming, choosing one to major in would be great too. You can always take classes in the other subject to become a more well-rounded employee in whichever field you choose.
0

Parshva’s Answer

Hi Saksham! In the grand scheme of things, all majors are useful but the true value you gain from a business school is not essentially the major you choose, but rather the network you build, the soft skills you develop and the effort you put in to upskill yourself. To answer your question, personally, I would say any quant-heavy major paired with a qualitative major is a good combination. In your case, accounting can definitely give you a strong base with numbers which is crucial in any business/job, while marketing will essentially help you develop those crucial soft-skills like collaboration, presentation etc. Overall, this is a great combination but don't step back from trying out classes from other majors, especially during the first couple years of college. Best of luck!
0

Any major will be useful as long as you gain value and find it interesting. Marketing careers definitely have components of accounting with it as you run budgets and manage the business. Depending on how you view the course load and what you want to do after, definitely evaluate if a double major is needed. I would recommend shadowing some people in those fields and doing an internship to see if the classes are adding value to the real day to day.
0

Mohd’s Answer

I would focus on one or the other as these are totally different fields that do not overlap much. However you can add Computer Science with either one and become a more well rounded college graduate. This will open doors to many positions and will be better for you in the long term both from a professional and financial standpoint.
0

Anny’s Answer

Hi, Saksham
When I was a product manager (marketing), I relied heavily on my cost accounting expertise to manage the product P&L (profit and loss statements). Yes, I could have just taken the analyst's word at face value. Instead, I fought to ensure that only those costs that applied directly to my business was and argued convincingly to keep costs low. It wasn't just to be more profitable, it was to ensure that every product line took on its fair share of its costs. As you grow your career, a basic knowledge of different areas of business can be highly beneficial to you to make informed decisions.

Does this require a double major? Not necessarily. But it does require some aptitude and coursework.

Good luck to you, Saksham.
0