What is it like to work as a game programmer

I am 11th grader in SF and I loved gaming ever since I was little I was always fascinated by how games worked and when I was old enough I got my own laptop with good enough specs to look at some heavy steam game in which I look at how they were designed and I look at their game in a way as if I was judging them. I would learn how game gave different ways of being built giving them this sense of teamwork so I want to know how it feels to work as a game programmer #gaming #video-games #game-development #video-game-design #game-design

2

I am surprised that you have not received an answer yet.

I suggest going to YouTube and Indeed.com to look for "day in the life" sort of information. You can use Glass Door to learn about specific companies and what people say about the profession.

Typically, professional (meaning paid) game programmers are on a tight schedule to release new games. They may be the inclination to cut corners and skip independent testing. Many times program bits are released in two or three week cycles followed by presentations rather than a start to finish method. These cycles include building, testing, reviewing and reworking. In addition, there may be different levels of programming going on. For example, basic motion, rendering, finishing, and surfacing. All of these things would fall under programming, but take different skill sets and technology. To see what is involved, I would check the credits at the of a recent animated movies to see how many skill sets are needed. I realize a movie is not a game, but the basics are still there.

0

Work as a game programmer can be very different depending on the size, type, and platform of the game. Programmers can be responsible for all different kinds of things, including development tools, graphics, networking, memory management, user interface and interaction, and of course gameplay systems and logic. Different engineers often work on different aspects depending on their individual specialties or preferences. Generally speaking, all engineers share a love of coding/programming, problem solving, and playing games! If it's what you are passionate about doing, it's a very rewarding career.

0