2

1. If my strengths are problem solving and leadership and my hobbies are playing basketball and videos games, what types of careers or industries might best fit for me? 2. What other strengths or experiences might I need for the suggested careers?

I need some help finding out what to do after high school

2

1

Gina’s Answer

Remember that you don't need to center future careers around your hobbies. Working with what you love frequently leads to hating what you used to love, and the work may be sufficiently different from the actual hobby. Game development is very different from game play, and the industry can be susceptible to overwork and high stress. John has some excellent advice to help determine if the work would interest you, and I would also encourage you to look into the work/life balance as well. Make sure that the enjoyment you get out of the work is sufficient for how often you will work.

I would make sure to consider additional careers that can lead you to enjoying your hobbies in your spare time. Problem solving and leadership are good qualities that can benefit you in almost any career, so you don't need to feel pigeon-holed. If there are any subjects at school, you can see what jobs are available in that subject. Also take a look at what's adjacent to your hobbies. If you like computers, you can look into information technology or engineering. If you like playing basketball outside, you can look into jobs where you would be outdoors the majority of the time.
1
1

As someone who makes basketball video games, what kind of jobs interest or inspire you? Problem solving is pretty much a core component of game development, but there are still a lot of facets there depending on what you like to do. Some of the major career paths related to game development are art, engineering (programming), design, and production (managing team processes and development). Each of those focuses on different hard skills with a shared set of soft skills. If you're not familiar with those terms, soft skills generally describe skills that apply broadly (such as problem solving or communication) whereas hard skills are more narrow (the ability to program in a specific language, or to use a specific piece of software are examples of hard skills).

In terms of what you can do now in high school to take your first steps, try making a game! There are a lot of great tools and resources out there that remove a lot of the barriers to entry. Unity and Unreal are two game engines that have broad support and provide you a lot of tools to get started, including existing art assets and code snippets/scripts that can help jumpstart you, and tutorials to help you get started. You can also try modding existing games or playing with their creative modes to see what kinds of new gameplay you can invent!

If you want a more low tech solution, try some paper prototyping! Its a tool we use to test new game ideas and mechanics by crafting them out of paper and tokens so we can test things without major investments into assets. Either way, you'll start to build valuable experience and taking your first steps into becoming a game developer!
1