What is it like working in another country?

Is it different from visiting? How does it feel like being away from home? travel travel study-abroad

3
Pros
3
0

Francisco’s Answer

Hi Jack,

To give you some background on me, I moved from Mexico to the US in 2012. I went to college and I've been working in the US since late 2017. I can tell you the experience is completely different than visiting. When you visit another country there's a lot of excitement and you know you are there to have a good time. Your biggest stressor can be maybe how much money are you spending or struggling to communicate to ask for direction. When you move to another country and are actively becoming part of their society, you face what's called "culture-shock". This is the sudden realization of all the difference between your culture and the new one you are incorporating into. You also feel the pressure of modifying your behaviors and traditions to more closely match the new culture. Finally, you can add all the anxiety of living in a different language, away from family and friends, and maybe starting a life on your own. Overall, it can be a very difficult and emotional process to live through, although it depends on each person, some people can adequate easily and have much less harsh time.

Having said that is not all bad. Usually when people decide to move to another country is seeking better opportunities or trying to achieve some objective or dream. Having a brand new world and a fresh start can allow you to develop a better sense of self and grow as a person immensely. Furthermore, exploring different cultures, expanding your understanding of the world, and just challenging yourself can make a change in your life for the good. Also, working and studying somewhere else can be very fun, meeting new people, learning new things, and maybe making more money than in your home country.

Hope this helps answer your question. Best of luck!
0

Christopher’s Answer

I've visited over 41 countries while traveling on business and pleasure. It's been a fantastic experience and I strongly encourage you to try it. If you do intend to study abroad, try to visit that country before you commit. Reach out to the US Embassy in that nation for advice . Try to make a connection in the country you plant to study at in advance, so there is a friendly person there when you arrive. In addition to home sickness, it's normal to feel isolated and lonely at first. Good luck!
0

Yumi’s Answer

Hi Jack,

Having studied and worked in a different country myself, here is what I went through. First, I was passionate about the opportunity to study and work in a different country. So that got me there. Things looked great at the beginning. Shortly after that, I missed my home a lot and wondered if I made the right choice.... Then, by giving myself time to adjust and being open minded and patient, living in a different country gradually begun to show me a whole new perspective, I started to enjoy experiencing different culture, holidays, the way people lived, etc. Hope this is helpful.
0