Who do I ask to be a reference when I have no work experience?

4

I've got my resume ready, created a LinkedIn profile and am ready to get my first job as a high school student looking for a summer internship. Who do you recommend I should ask? #summer-jobs #recruiter #work-experience #references #student-interns #job-application

4

Genevieve’s Answer

1

Providing references can be hard when you don't have any work experience. If you don't have work references, the next best thing is academic references. Try asking any teachers you have a good relationship with, did well in their class, etc. If you volunteer or are involved with any groups or organizations, ask leaders from those groups or organizations.

Dear Ms. Cawthorn, thank you so much! I am currently applying to jobs and your information has been so helpful! Thank you! Olivea V.
1

Megan’s Answer

0
I would recommend that you reach out to academic references (past teachers, counselors, principals, etc.). You could also reach out to any coaches, leaders, etc. of extracurricular activities that you're involved in. Also, if you're a member of a church, or any other social group, you could reach out to leaders there. Best of luck!
0

Alan’s Answer

0

Hi Olivea,

Genevieve offers great recommendations and to add on that, if you have a mentor or a coach from a sports team, they can also be good references. They can speak to your leadership, teamwork, and soft skill abilities.

I hope this helps,

0