What is the most important quality to have as a nurse, or someone who works in the medical profession in general?

Hi, everybody! I am hoping to become a nurse, and I was wondering, what do you think is the most important quality to have as a nurse? Or as someone who works in the medical profession in general?
Thank you so much! #medicine #nursing #healthcare #pediatrics #physician #nicu #neonatal-nursing

4

Patty’s Answer

Hi Angelina,

I think the most important quality anyone entering the health care field can possess is empathy. Being able to put yourself in someone else's shoes is a wonderful skill to have. Unfortunately, not everyone in health care has this skill. In order to be able to advocate for your patient (client) effectively you must be able to see through their eyes. There are many other qualities I believe are important, but this was the first one that came to my mind. Good luck!

Patty

Thank you so much for your helpful answer! I will keep that in mind:D Angelina P.

1

Nancy’s Answer

Compassion. You will meet all kinds of people, and need to take care of people you may not particularly like , but if you can understand to some extent where they are coming from, and show them patience and kindness, you will excel.

Thank you so much for your answer! It was very helpful to me, and I appreciate it! Angelina P.

1

J’s Answer

Agree with the comments above. Nurses are also very smart, need good analytical abilities, and, maybe most importantly, should never consider their learning complete. Nursing is evidence based. If the evidence changes, a nurse's practice must adapt to it. Lives depend on this.

Thank you for your answer! Those are all very good qualities for nurses to have, thank you for telling me! Angelina P.

1