Advice for a Graphic Design Students

Hello!
I've enrolled in San Diego City College's Graphic Design Program and will be returning to school this spring after a 4-year hiatus. I'm currently studying Adobe CC training videos independently and building up my portfolio. What advice would you give new graphic design students and what resources do you recommend to build up technical skills?

graphic-design design art career web-design

Hey Marcela, What field of work do you like doing and/or would you like to end up doing? Graphic Design is such a wide field that I believe my advice will differ depending on your preference. Dexter Arver

3
Pros
3
0

Natalie’s Answer

Hi Marcela!

I just started school for graphic design back in September of 2021 and I'm really enjoying it so far. Definitely continue what you're doing by watching videos to get yourself prepared and building your portfolio. There's some great educational graphic design videos available on LinkedIn Learning that I watched and they were helpful. I would also start thinking about what kinds of things you would be interested in designing as a career eventually, considering graphic design is such a broad subject. My classes have had a variety of different types of projects which has been great with helping me figure out what I like designing best. I would look around for some inspiration too. I've been watching this documentary on Netflix called Abstract: The Art of Design which has given me a ton of inspiration for my own projects. It's a documentary series all about professional designers in different fields of work and it's really interesting. Best of luck to you on starting school!
0

Sarah’s Answer

Hello Marcela!

I think it might help to understand what your interests are first to help give you some options. Graphic Design is pretty broad and can really take you down multiple career paths.

I studied Graphic Design in college as well and ended up going into UX Design and now I'm in Product Design. I know quite a few of my classmates that ended up doing UX Design as well. I do also know some designers who are in illustration and motion design.
0

Jennifer’s Answer

Hi! Sounds like you have a good start. Keep doing what you are doing. To build up technical skills the best thing is to practice what you are watching on the videos. Create some projects for yourself, maybe offer design help to a friend or family member. Learn by doing!
0