Any good ideas for what to mojor or minor with journalism? It's my dream to study it but I want to have have something to fall back on.

I'm not really good at math or sciences but I would like to be able to find something that is somehow interlinked with english or journalism so I can maybe use both of them together to help me get a job since i've heard its hard to find one. Thanks in advance and any ideas are appreciated. career journalism english university college job

4
Pros
4
0

Emily’s Answer

Hi Nada,
I'd look into a degree in communications. It has skills you will use in many industries. My degree was in public relations, but I know depending on where you study there are options to focus in journalism or to do a minor in English. I loved communications, I enjoy working with people to an extent. Most people think it just means having to do a lot of public speaking, but while that at times can be true the degree itself is flexible. There are several concentrations, I believe typically ones working with media, public relations/ strategic communications, and journalism is typically another option. I'd look into your local collages options and do some digging to see what could be an option for you.
The one other thing I leave you with as you search is the best advice a mentor gave me in college, "learn as many "soft" skills as you can".
That meant yes, learning and excelling in the course material but additionally finding skills and situations that allowed me to show I could navigate a myriad of different experiences. This has helped me tremendously since I graduated. (Look here for a general overview- https://www.thebalancecareers.com/what-are-soft-skills-2060852)
I interned with my college as their first Public Relations Intern for their PR team on campus, I restarted PRSSA on campus (which is a widely known group in the industry, and the stepping stone to PRSA), I was able to organize a huge event where I designed the promotional material and decor (using my love for photography, and the things I learned in classes I took for fun like photoshop, illustrator, and video editing), and I ran a PR campaign with 40 students under my direction. I've owned my own photography business for 10 years, and worked for others in a studio environment. I wouldn't have been able to do any that had I not searched out and practiced my soft skills.
Lastly, I made it a personal challenge to be the best I could be in every situation. If I could get extra credit, I did it. If there was something that I thought would help me stand out in assignments, but might take a bit more work, I gave up sleep and made it happen.
You can do anything Nada, you got this!
Thank you! This helped so much Nada A.
0

Grace’s Answer

Hi Nada! I think Emily gave a solid response so I will keep this short just to offer more options when you enter college. While I personally stayed within the creative fields (English major, journalism minor), I know that having a particular skill outside of journalism can make you a stronger candidate for both journalism positions and other jobs.

I started out as an intern at a startup incubator (an organization that gathers resources to support up and coming business owners). Although I don't have a business degree, just being there showed me that having an angle is valuable to journalism as a whole. With a business degree, you could more easily find jobs in that sector and have a leg up on your peers if you cover a local business beat. Another option could be education-- not only does this offer you a career path as a teacher/mentor/etc, but several local papers cover educational topics and send journalists to PTA meetings, etc. That brings me to final suggestion, Political Science. While this is a bit more nebulous than you might want, poli sci could help create connections with valuable future sources and even get you a few internships with local political campaigns. There is some math involved, but a lot of it has to do with statistics and probability, which are fantastic skills to have as a journalist. Plus, a more intimate understanding of politics (which can be quite convoluted) gives you an edge when it comes to covering those news-breaking stories.

I hope this helps and good luck at school!
Thank you so much I will be sure to look into all of these! Nada A.
0

Gloria’s Answer

Hi Nada,

I started my college career with a major in journalism. I did not become a journalist. I am a writer in a different way, by using my communication skills to be both an instructor and then an instructional designer. In my mind, you could turn her attention to Education in some way, either secondary education or in the business world.

Gloria
0