Is it possible to get a job in the research industry, not academia, with a PhD in biomedical science?

Asked San Mateo, California

I'm interested in pursuing a job as a researcher and was wondering about whether it would be possible for me to work in research in the industry. #research #phd #medical-research #biomedical-science #science-phd

Dra. Marisol’s Answer

Updated Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Hi Katia,

For sure you can work in the research Industry with a PhD. However, usually a PhD involves work at University and doing research for University first,. Usually, the research Industry asks for people who have years of experience in the field. However, any experience you can get in the meantime will help you with your CV and the job you want in the future.

Good Luck!

Thank you so much for your answer! That definitely cleared things up for me.
I completely agree with the Dr.Marisol, great suggestion!

Dr. Pritesh’s Answer

Updated Louisville, Kentucky
Hi Katia, There are numerous opportunities in the private sector for PhDs ranging from career paths in government (FDA / NIH / CDC), consulting, to serving as medical liasons to pharmaceutical companies.