3
Updated 173 views Translate

Becoming A Police Detective

I am very interested in becoming a Police detective, what are the specific details to becoming a Police Detective and what are the step by step actions I have to take to succeed in this occupation? I am currently 17 and I am in Job Corps.

3

0

I don't know the New York specifics, but in North Carolina there can be a lot of steps to the process. Police Officers are hired and must complete a significant amount of "on the road" training, specifically functioning as a patrol officer. Most agencies require at least two years of patrol service before you are eligible for a special position. This on the road time is very important as you learn how to talk to a wide range of people and function in environments that most untrained people would be unable or unwilling to.

You can become a police officer in North Carolina at 20 years old or a deputy sheriff at 21 years old. Police Departments and Sheriff Offices work very differently in NC than in many other states. One option for going into investigations immediately is to apply for a state agency like the NC License and Theft Bureau, where you investigate certain motor vehicle offenses (chop shops, creating fake plates, etc). These are very specialized though and are often highly sought after.
0
0

Carolyn’s Answer

Hi Isaiah! I would take some time looking up NYC-specific requirements and the process! I found this webpage on how to become a police officer, which is traditionally how one has to start before becoming a detective: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/careers/police-officers/po-hiring.page

Looks like they require you to be 21 y.o.; however, that's good because it give you time to work on the education requirement, "You must have earned 60 college credits with a minimum 2.0 GPA from an accredited institution or 2 years of active military service in the U.S. Armed Forces in order to be appointed to the title of Police Officer."

0