4
Updated 85 views Translate

What is the best way to get a medical assisting internship?

I'm a high school senior who just earned her CCMA (certified clinical medical assistant) through my school's technical certification program. I'm also BLS certified.

I'm trying to find clinics to shadow and assist, but I'm not sure how to contact clinics, nor do I know which clinics are most likely to consider giving me an opportunity. Specifically, I'd like to intern at a surgery center, women's health center, or pediatric clinic. I just moved, so I don't have any connections to the area, and I am no longer in a school program, which makes it more challenging.

What is the best way to go about seeking this internship as a high school student?

4

0

Victoria’s Answer

Hi Amanda,

Congrats on getting your certifications!

Like someone had previously mentioned, I would just recommend going to clinics in your area with printed resumes and just asking.

Are you simply wanting to to shadow and assist for your own experiences then since you've completed your certificates? What kind of hours are you looking for?

If so, I work for a primary care clinic in Rockwall, TX (about 30 minutes from McKinney), if you're interested. Please feel free to PM if you'd like.

-Victoria
Thank you comment icon Thank you, going in person is definitely my next step! As for your questions, you're exactly right. I'd like to shadow and assist to gain experience in the field. My ideal hours are from 3-4:30 pm, but I'm open to longer hours. While I appreciate the offer as I'm interested in assisting in primary care, Rockwall is a little far. However, if you know of any clinics closer to McKinney that is accepting interns, please let me know! Thank you again. Amanda K.
0
0

Jinhua’s Answer

Hi Amenda,

First, I have to admit other responders' answer are great and that's probably enough for you. I'll just offer some supplementary thoughts.
You could try LinkedIn! Don't forget to set your profile and resume first, then search "medical assisting internship" on LinkedIn.

Hope this helps.
Thank you comment icon Thank you! Amanda K.
0
0

Joel’s Answer

Hi Amanda,

Congrats on your certifications! That’s very impressive to have obtained those while still in high school.

Regarding internships, most college programs have specific coordinators whose job is to connect interns to local clinics, hospitals, medical groups, etc.

My advice is to reach out to nursing/medical programs at local colleges (including in Houston since Conroe is fairly close) and explain your situation and ask them for help. You might want to also research program coordinators for those colleges on LinkedIn and contact them directly.

Good luck and I hope you can find your internship soon!

Joel recommends the following next steps:

Contact local college nursing/medical programs
Contact program coordinators on LinkedIn or via email
Thank you comment icon Thank you so much for the detailed advice! Amanda K.
0
0

Bailey’s Answer

When I did my medical assistant is was required to have clinicals and shadowing done prior to getting my certificate. You can try to reach out to the program for some help. You can also send a letter, email, or phone call to the offices you are interested in. You can also look to see who is hiring. Sometimes they will bypass the shadow and let you start working with orientation.

You can do this! The worst they can say is no!!! Just try! It will all work out! That is amazing that your school provided that service! It will give you a head start in life!

Thank you comment icon Thank you for the insight! I'll definitely reach out. Amanda K.
0