What should I do now to get an engineering job at Google or Facebook?

3

I have no idea where to start. What do they look for in new hires?! #facebook #google #engineering #engineering #career-details #or

3

Jonathon’s Answer

1

In general, despite where you want to work, you need to set yourself apart. Don't be average. Be involved in your education, go above and beyond and participate in groups and competitions. When managers are hiring or Human Resource (HR) are looking through a ton of resumes, what makes yours interesting in comparison? Don't just float through school. We had an intern here at NASA get hired because he did Chinese line dancing. This activity showed that he works well with teams and has some form of discipline and will likely be a quality person. Anybody can learn a technical skill, especially if you complete an engineering degree, so the managers I've talked to, typically look for good people that have gone above and beyond to be involved. Also, I worked on the NASA Swarmathon and I was able to apply for a scholarship grant where I went to the Robotic Science and Systems Conference up at MIT and the falling weekend we had a hackathon with swarm bots. During the competition I was able to meet people from Google, Amazon, and a few other groups of awesome people. The Google engineer was/is a lead electrical engineer on the Google Home. So point is, you never know who you'll meet along the way. Also, engineering is hard, don't be discouraged when you run into issues or difficulties. It takes time to learn all these things so maintain a growth mindset, you are capable of learning anything, it just takes time and effort. Read lots of books as well, tons of code books to learn from.

1

Frank’s Answer

0

Hi Harsimran, first of all I hope you like math, learning languages, and technical problem-solving, because to become a strong software developer it's useful to have a strong background and interest in these areas! Bear in mind that Google and Facebook employ all kinds of career areas, including business, marketing, finance, legal, engineering, human resources, and sales just to name a few. So there's a lot of areas where you can possibly land a job with them besides being a software engineer! However, if you enjoy working with computers and perhaps are already writing some programs, then you can learn more about such careers on the Chegg website at http://www.chegg.com/career-center/explore#major=b40b125e-f965-481c-ae92-fed5fc3453d7. It should give you some idea about what the jobs are like, and if you look at some o f the internship and job opportunities there, too, you'll learn about the typical qualifications that companies are looking for. Hope this helps and good luck ahead!

0