What are the hours like in industrial design vs. web design in tech?

I'm in high school right now and I love design. I want to work for a big company where I can learn more about design at the start. I am ready to work really hard, but I also want to know what to expect so I can try to decide what my future will be like. What are the hours like for industrial design vs. doing more graphic design (e.g., working for a website company)? #design #web-design #industrial-design

Eric’s Answer

From what I've seen, graphic and Web designers are similar to how Mark is describing hours for industrial designer. It seems to depend a lot more on the age of the company and the particular project, than your own skill levels, though, for graphic or Web design. Start-ups are likely to have much longer hours, for all their employees. In general, though, it does depend most on the project you're on and the company's culture. When you start interviewing, asking about how many hours you could expect to spend per week on the particular job is a very good idea.

Vivian’s Answer

Hi Millie,

I've worked in the graphic design industry for over 10 years and the amount of time you spent on projects/work really depends. Here's my experience from:

Printing company: Worked during college, hours are generally flexible bc they don't really need you to do much work. Design agency: Worked during college, hours are also flexible, but the project have extremely short deadlines and you have to work in a fast pace. Start-up: My first day, I worked 12 hours. No joke. But we were launch our site, so it was expected. Hours in a startup are more crazy than other places, only because they have a fast turnaround. Corporate (LinkedIn): They are very family-oriented so people usually work the generic 9-5, but when there are projects due, you are expect to finish on time. I've been up until 2am, sometimes weekends working.

Honestly, I think as long as you love what you do, the time isn't the issue. I love designing and creating experiences for our members, so working doesn't seem like working. Hope that helps.

Dream big, Vivian

Mark’s Answer

I can't speak for graphic and web designers, but the hours for industrial designers can vary depending on what type of design office your working in, what stage of your career your in, and what project you happen to be working on at the moment. Early in your career you're going to put in more than forty hours a week as you are learning new skills. If you work for a large corporation you will work closer to a normal work week, while at a consultancy you are more likely to put in longer hours depending on a project's deadlines.

As you mature in your career your skills and experience are going to make you more efficient, you'll be doing better quality work faster.

But the hours involved aren't that important compared with the fun of the work. Choose design because you love to create, not how long it takes to deliver great work.