6
Updated 846 views

What should I do finally get this this finished?

I want to be a writer, but I can never seem to finish the story I want to make. Mainly because I keep restarting, get stuck on a part, or something else. #listening to any advise.
#writing #creative-writing #storytelling #writing-and-editing #writer
#thank-you

6

1

My son, who is an excellent writer, has the exact same problem. There are different things to try. 1) instead of typing/writing, dictate some thoughts. You can clean them up later, but it seems to be easier to talk out your thoughts sometimes instead of writing them out; 2) set mini-goals. I will do two sentences, then take a five-minute break; 3) this runs counter what someone of my generation would do, but what helps my son is to have music on in the background. I hope some of these help you!
1
0

Destiny’s Answer

Plan out your story before you start writing it out. If you keep an outline, it will help
0
0

Susan E.’s Answer

One advice I once read and heard about is not to try writing your story in order. If you get stuck in one area, try writing on something that you come up with or is an aha moment. You can start your writing from the end, writing a background about your characters so you get to know them, etc. Just changing the focus will often be what you need to get unstuck. Sometimes just merely walking away from your work for a while helps too.
0
0

Stefania’s Answer

Hi Elizabeth -- what you are going through is perfectly normal because writing is a process, a long one at times with starts and stops along the way. Try and think of your story in parts -- the beginning, the characters, the problem/conflict, the resolution, etc and then narrow down and focus on developing each part. Think big and experiment with lots of ideas -- see what might work, and what doesn't work.

You may also want to try and online workshop for writers -- often there are free tutorials and guides that can help you as well (try edX series, they have many free ones and are sure to have something for writers as well).

Good Luck!
0
0

Heather’s Answer

An outline is an important starting point - but don't let it constrain your thought process or creativity - use it to organize your ideas and your progress.

Schedule a regular period of time within your schedule dedicated solely to your writing. It helps if it's same time of day each time -- preset time and length. This helps prioritize your writing, and over time it can actually help streamline your creative process and help you avoid potenital ruts as you become acclimated to the set structure.
0