Aliya A.’s Avatar

Aliya A.

76

1

Is it okay to not have an exact career you want to do yet?

I want to do so many things, life being as short as it is it might be impossible to do all of them. I just want to be free to not chose one wonderful goal over the others. #undecided #career-advice #career-guidance #career-counseling #career-path #career-development

#noidea

Great question. My opinion is that it is best to try many things and see what you are best suited for (skill wise and interest wise). Assessments, classes and individual opinions cannot replicate the value of experience. A popular saying in business nowadays is "fail fast". This ideology applies to a career as well. The sooner that you discern what you don't want/like, the quicker/closer you get to what you do want.
Last updated Oct 16 '17 at 17:17
I'm not sure how old you are, but trying out different careers is a good place to be! Ultimately, a job provides income, so keep that in mind. If you can learn through experience your motivations, interests and skills, keep learning! You learn so much about yourself by trying and you may find you are good at a lot. If you are looking at choosing a college route you may want to choose a broad major like business/technology/English, etc. These majors can be applied to various fields.
Last updated Oct 14 '17 at 12:52
A lot of people share your same concern and it is perfectly okay to not know what exact career you want to pursue. You will learn through experiences what you are best at and what you enjoy doing. Many companies have tons of growth opportunities within several different departments so you could have a career while you are learning what you are passionate about! College is also a great time to explore different areas of careers, gain various skills, and find what you are most passionate about. Do not be scared to many different things. There are also loads of online assessments that you can take to get recommendations on areas you may be most interested in. Good luck in your future endeavors!
Last updated Nov 29 '17 at 18:41
It is absolutely fine to not have the career you want to do just yet. I agree, there are so many options out there. I commend you for at least being passionate about the a lot of things. One day, you can make the choice of narrowing things down because as time pass, I'm sure certain things will pull you more in than the other interests. In the end, focus on what will make you happy because you are right, life is too short. Also, certain life changes can also help you choose a certain trade/interest, so good luck and be inspired with the interest you will love/appreciate.
Last updated Oct 13 '17 at 13:58