Katie K.

31

1

Do medical students ever get over a weak stomach?

I am passionate about going into the medical field, specifically in the pediatric realm. Every since I was young though, I have had a tough time with blood and needles and don't see a way to get past this to pursue the profession I wish. Is the case for some others when they begin this study, or should I find something else? #pediatrics #medicine #healthcare #hospital-and-health-care

Maybe before you get to deep in, you should do a phlebotomy course and draw blood for patients for a while. If you get through the training and can work you won't need to worry anymore. Good luck! 👍🏻
Last updated Oct 24 '17 at 23:27

You will absolutely be able to get over that issue. You likely have vasovagal syncope or presyncope, that response diminishes and eventually goes away with exposure. Many students have issues with this during their clinical rotations but get used to it due to the daily exposure. Don't let that make your decision to go/avoid med school.
Last updated Nov 28 '17 at 21:21

Schools Add a schools