2 answers

Can you get an associates degree at a community college and continue at a different college for a Bachelors?

Asked Viewed 461 times

Is it possible to get an associates degree at a community college, and then go to school for two more years at a different one and get your Bachelors? Or do you have to start all over?

#degree #associates-degree #community-college

2 answers

Alexandra’s Answer

Absolutely! I got my AA degree at a community college & transferred my credits to a 4 year college to get my bachelors. It's a great way to save money on tuition. My suggestion would be to figure out ahead of time which bachelors degree you want & what School you want to go to, and then you can work with both schools to figure out exactly what courses you can take via community college that will transfer. It's better to have a long term plan than to randomly take courses. My 2 year college had a list of transfer "goals" to sort of guide you on what classes to take (and they had a partnership with my state's 4 year college I ended up going to), but even so I ended up taking a few extra courses I didn't really need to take, so it's better to actually talk with someone at the school than going and doing it in your own.
Hey Alexandra, this is solid advice. I wanted to ask you - I know some people are unsure of the degree they want to enter into, what was that like for you? Did you already know what you wanted your bachelor's degree in? I would love to hear more about your experience with that and choosing what kind of AA you chose to go after! If you have any sources that you recommend that aligns with your advice of choosing an institute and or major that could be helpful! :) Jordan Rivera COACH
I wasn't sure but knew I wanted a bachelors, so I took standard transfer credits. I chose AA because I was interested in an arts degree, not science. It depends on your personality and interests. You can take career aptitude tests if you need direction, but deep down you know what you like. I recommend going for something you'll enjoy. You can do research online by looking up colleges in your area & comparing programs. Once you have a few schools in mind, reach out to their admissions office & talk with them about the programs and your goals. Also, If you have any friends or relatives who have attended college, you can ask them their opinion on the school they went to. You can visit the campus to feel it out, ask current students, or ask teachers/counselors at your high school for advice. Alexandra Capobianco

Kevin’s Answer


Not starting over at all! Getting your AA is somewhat similar to the first 2 years at a 4-year university, you'll be taking general education courses (lower division) and ones that can allow you to take upper division courses. The classes you take for your AA are transferable but you just have to make sure which courses apply to the major and university you intend on applying for.

I got my AA first and used a bunch of online resources and counseling/advising from different college campuses to make sure all the classes I was taking were transferable. Different universities have different requirements and not every class you take may apply. When I transferred to a university after, I didn't feel left behind. I jumped into upper division/major courses like all the rest of the junior (3rd years).